From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

New template to replace magic words[edit]

Template:ISBN I have ported over w:Template:ISBN and w:Module:Check isxn from en.wp. Magic words as links are being phased out and although we don't have to replace all instances of them now, they will all be removed from MediaWiki in 2017. See mw:Requests_for_comment/Future_of_magic_links. We currently have no entries in Category:Pages using ISBN magic links. —Justin (koavf)TCM 03:13, 1 January 2017 (UTC)

Pages to import[edit]

See here Evidently, incubator:Category:Wq/or/wikisource is hosting a work in Oriya which should probably be brought here. We currently have no Oriya texts. —Justin (koavf)TCM 00:46, 6 January 2017 (UTC)

Oriya language has been already granted with a wikisource workplace 2.5 years ago: Oriya Wikisource; may we ping their village pump --C.R. (talk) 10:12, 6 January 2017 (UTC)
@C.R.: Somehow, I had forgotten/overlooked that. How embarrassing. Thanks. —Justin (koavf)TCM 20:15, 6 January 2017 (UTC)
@Koavf: don't worry, hehe ^^.. but if you can, please ping them, I am sure they will be very happy about arranging their old stuff--C.R. (talk) 14:38, 7 January 2017 (UTC)
@C.R.: They were notified on their Scriptorium and I posted to the talk page of the only person with advanced user rights there. —Justin (koavf)TCM 16:28, 7 January 2017 (UTC)

OCR in Hindi[edit]

I want to do OCR in Hindi wikisource which I am doing in Bengali wikisource using python based GoogleOCR tool in Linux past 1 year.Pls help me to upload in Hindi same way. What wil be language code in config.ini? Is it 'mul' If not then pls help me.By any chance is it due to abuse filter(limitation of file upload for low contribution user)? I am new to Hindi wikisource pls help me. Its not uploading after doing OCR. Sumita Roy Dutta (talk) 04:35, 9 January 2017 (UTC)

moved to a separate section - -jkb- (talk) 09:09, 9 January 2017 (UTC)
This abusefilter entry concerns file uploads only. djvu/pdf are excluded from this limit. I do not know which settings you should use. Ankry (talk) 18:12, 9 January 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-02[edit]

19:12, 9 January 2017 (UTC)

global rename for me on meta[edit]

fyi, on meta I have requested for the right of global renamer, which could be of good use for this project a s well. Regards -jkb- (talk) 19:50, 12 January 2017 (UTC)

I have withdrawn my request, see here. Cheers -jkb- (talk) 00:40, 28 January 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-03[edit]

23:24, 16 January 2017 (UTC)

Bot edits without a bot flag (problem and suggestion)[edit]

In last time there emerge more and more users who work (most probably) with a bot script (or bots without a flag), sometimes there are less then 100 Edits a day, but sometimes there are some more hundreds of edits a day, and on some days some two or three user are working this same way parallel. It is nice and good that we have such a edit amount and such good users, but I have more and more problems wirt it: when I have a look after this project so the recent changes are sometimes fully useless, and it possible to controll vandalism and other negative edits at all.
Time ago I spoke about this with User Satdeep Gill and I proposed that he requests a bot flag for his bot. He did - see Wikisource:Administrators#User:Satdeepbot (but: up to now there are no other votes or ideas from other users). My policy is since a very long time to grant as few wikisource bot flags as possible, but here we have a problem: the bot edits without a flag are disturbing the normal work here, if we prohibit it (or even block the accounts - omg no!), we disturb the work of good users.
Thus my proposal:

  • all users editing with bots or scripts limit their edits and do not more then approx 100 a day until we have a solution
  • all such user apply for a temporary bot flag at Wikisource:Administrators#Requests for other rights specifying for which sort of work and how long
  • when no objections within some 7 or 10 days, the bureaucrats will grant this bot flag for a time needed (if too short so it can be renewed) under the condition, that the flag will be used for the specified task. Bot edits without a flag will not be permited.

@Satdeep Gill, Nitesh Gill, Sumita Roy Dutta: - I hope I have all (if not so ping them pls) - for your information. OK? -jkb- (talk) 17:19, 20 January 2017 (UTC)

I support. Ankry (talk) 12:39, 22 January 2017 (UTC)

Unsourced vandalized(?) pages[edit]

Any hints what can we do with such texts? Unsourced, no author information, no copyright information, recently vandalised (?, or maybe it was an attempt to remove inappropriate text/copyright violation?), the uploader is inactive for few years.

Personally I refuse to revert last edit until I ensure the text is really free. Ankry (talk) 12:37, 22 January 2017 (UTC)

Yep. Additionally the Main Page/Oromo is problematic as well; the probably per original research created icon hys been uploaded to commons by a bot, the user 3247 renamed to User:Cfaerber SUL stopped editing mostly in 2010: in the Category:Oromo there is another page - Edipas mooticha, the same problem. The author Chabi1 SUL seems to stop his edits in 2014.
Just according to the policy pof the WMF we should avoid any copyvio here (and we have ten thousand!), and this seems to be one (no source, no licence ietc.). Thus I would vote for a deletion (the page, however, can be restored). Some more userful votes? -jkb- (talk) 14:58, 22 January 2017 (UTC)
I agree we need to (at least) check the source and the licenses of every piece of literature here in wikisource, and to put some note on why every material is on the public domain or either published as CC-BY-SA. For the case of Oromoo:

Both are two (almost) different cases:

  • Mammaaksa Oromoo is a collection of proverbs in Oromoo, unless we find a book/web with the same configuration of the proverbs, being older than this, it will be difficult to claim copyright. (Probably one or two speakers can easily reproduce the list by heart)
  • Edipas mooticha is a different case, since it is the full translation of Oedipus Rex; You can find an older translation, here in Oromoo; It may be subject to the sole property of the blogger, or maybe it is a copyvio from a book, who knows. But at least, that's the case where we have an older reference than the wikisource itself -potential copyvio, unless it comes from an expired copyright author, or a release under CC-BY-SA license, may we contact the blogger? or will it be better to delete it?--C.R. (talk) 20:37, 22 January 2017 (UTC)
I found out that in the Oromoo wikipedia, a colleague there was arranging proverbs in this page: w:om:Tarree Mammaaksa Oromoo, two days ago, coincidence. I will ask if we can delete the proverbs here in wikisource (since the om.wikipedia will store an article dedicated to them) and maybe we can let some parkplace for a future wikisource on he Oromoo main page :D [I will ask also about the theater play Oedipus Rex]--C.R. (talk) 11:19, 23 January 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-04[edit]

20:14, 23 January 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-05[edit]

18:45, 30 January 2017 (UTC)


We have two admins who are inactive for over a year. I intend to start the desysopping procedure due to inactivity. Any objections? Ankry (talk) 17:54, 31 January 2017 (UTC)

@Ankry: I certainly don't. If the community needs replacements, please ping me. —Justin (koavf)TCM 21:14, 31 January 2017 (UTC)
after one year is OK, I just regret that user:Dovi doesn't participate any more here as he belonged to the first users on wikisource I met. OK -jkb- (talk) 21:31, 31 January 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-06[edit]

19:45, 6 February 2017 (UTC)

ia-upload tool update[edit]

The IA Upload tool can now create DjVu files for Internet Archive items that don't have them, before uploading to Commons. Sam Wilson 03:46, 9 February 2017 (UTC)

An outpost for Wikilivres[edit]

Assistance requested As some of you may know, Wikilivres(.ca) is a complementary site to Wikisource and Commons. It has a history with Wikimedia Canada but there is no formal relationship between the WMF or WM-CA and Wikilivres, just some overlap in userbase and scope. The project was originally handled by User:Yann and then User:Eclecticology. The latter died last year and the fate of Wikilivres is uncertain. While that community tries to transition past the loss of someone who was very important in the WikiSphere and figures out the logistics of what we do next, we have experienced some downtime in our hosting. If the site goes dark again, do you think it would be possible for us to have a noticeboard hosted here for the purposes of communication and coordination? Possibly at Wikisource:Wikilivres? I figured I would ask since Wikilivres more-or-less grew out of this project and there is less activity here than at (plus Wikilivres is multi-lingual as well). —Justin (koavf)TCM 07:59, 10 February 2017 (UTC)

ping - ing here, since the wikilivres site isn't loading tonight. i'm a contributor there, & this was our designated "meet up" place, if there's a problem/if the site is down. any news? Lx 121 (talk) 04:05, 3 March 2017 (UTC)

@Lx 121: I can confirm that it's down. I'm checking with the hosting company now. It's not an issue of an unpaid bill. —Justin (koavf)TCM 04:27, 3 March 2017 (UTC)
ty, good to know, even if it's not good xD we should set up a permanent community page someplace in the userspace here. Lx 121 (talk) 05:16, 3 March 2017 (UTC)
@Lx 121: Wikisource talk:Wikilivres. —Justin (koavf)TCM 05:30, 3 March 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-07[edit]

18:06, 13 February 2017 (UTC)

Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[edit]

Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. Message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

The Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. For 15 years, Wikimedians have worked together to build the largest free knowledge resource in human history. During this time, we've grown from a small group of editors to a diverse network of editors, developers, affiliates, readers, donors, and partners. Today, we are more than a group of websites. We are a movement rooted in values and a powerful vision: all knowledge for all people. As a movement, we have an opportunity to decide where we go from here.

This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve. We hope to design an inclusive process that makes space for everyone: editors, community leaders, affiliates, developers, readers, donors, technology platforms, institutional partners, and people we have yet to reach. There will be multiple ways to participate including on-wiki, in private spaces, and in-person meetings. You are warmly invited to join and make your voice heard.

The immediate goal is to have a strategic direction by Wikimania 2017 to help frame a discussion on how we work together toward that strategic direction.

Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Beginning with this message, monthly reviews of these updates will be sent to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.

Here is a review of the updates that have been sent so far:

More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, 20:31, 15 February 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

Wikilivres export[edit]


--Nemo 14:02, 20 February 2017 (UTC)

  • @Nemo_bis: We are having some trouble getting the domain transferred still. I thought that it would be wrapped up this past week but several calls and emails to the host were not returned. —Justin (koavf)TCM 18:01, 20 February 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-08[edit]

19:25, 20 February 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-09[edit]

19:55, 27 February 2017 (UTC)

Sheet music[edit]

I'd like to have some scores transcribed with the score extention. Would like to begin with File:Sérénade Français.pdf and File:Olympic Anthem Score.pdf by Spyros Samaras. I had originaly uploaded the Olympic Anthem at Greek wikisource since it has greek lyrics, but deleted it as the first version of the score had pages missing. (a part of the transcription is here: el:User:Ah3kal/Πρόχειρο) But I think multilingual wikisource would be a better place.

  1. I suppose this the right place, given this past RFC (meta:Requests for comment/Musical score transcription project proposal)
  2. What language code am I supposed to add (if any) to the index?
  3. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you. Ah3kal (talk) 06:37, 3 March 2017 (UTC)

The language code should be probably "zxx". At least according to ISO 639-2, Ankry (talk) 21:02, 3 March 2017 (UTC)
As above, yes, zxx is explicitly for non-linguistic information. If we have documents that don't have a human language in them, then that is the appropriate code. —Justin (koavf)TCM 21:45, 3 March 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-10[edit]

23:23, 6 March 2017 (UTC)

Wikisource vision development[edit]

Why are its subpages in the main namespace? How about renaming to "Wikisource:Vision development"?--Jusjih (talk) 21:07, 7 March 2017 (UTC)

@Jusjih: Agreed. This is not a source document... Actually, it may even be better suited to the thematic group on Meta but for now, I will move its namespace. —Justin (koavf)TCM 21:46, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
Meta has three importers. Asking them may move the relevant pages there.--Jusjih (talk) 01:53, 15 March 2017 (UTC)

Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[edit]

Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

As we mentioned last month, the Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve.

Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Each month, we are sending overviews of these updates to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.

Here is a overview of the updates that have been sent since our message last month:

More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, 19:43, 9 March 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

Tech News: 2017-11[edit]

15:25, 13 March 2017 (UTC)

We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)[edit]

05:10, 18 March 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-12[edit]

22:03, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-13[edit]

14:46, 27 March 2017 (UTC)

fr:Livre:Reboux-Müller - À la manière de, sér1-2, 1921.djvu[edit]

fr:Wikisource:Pages à supprimer has a request to move the index here, so I just imported it and Page:Reboux-Müller - À la manière de, sér1-2, 1921.djvu/1. Is there a way to massively import rather to manually import each page?--Jusjih (talk) 03:29, 3 April 2017 (UTC)

@Jusjih: As you have import rights, you can use XML export to file and XML import from a file here. But the exported file needs to be adjusted before import: The frwiki namespace definitions (names, numbers) should be replaced by sourceswiki's ones, as well as namespace names in pagenames may need to be fixed (Livre -> Index, Page is the same, so no problem). My previous experience shows that importing too many pages fails sometimes (only first N is imported then). But I don't have import rights already. Ankry (talk) 14:26, 3 April 2017 (UTC)
Thanks for the hint. I have successfully imported the rest. Please check. If concerned of failed mass import, I would limit to 100 pages at a time in XML export. Considering Wikisource:Subdomain coordination about whether to allow pre-1923 works still copyrighted at home at language subdomains, perhaps French Wikisource is considering tightening its policy.--Jusjih (talk) 18:30, 3 April 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-14[edit]

17:53, 3 April 2017 (UTC)

Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections[edit]

Please accept our apologies for cross-posting this message. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

Wikimedia-logo black.svg

On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, I am pleased to announce that self-nominations are being accepted for the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Elections.

The Board of Trustees (Board) is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long-term sustainability of the Wikimedia Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. More information about this role can be found on Meta-Wiki. Please read the letter from the Board of Trustees calling for candidates.

The candidacy submission phase will last from April 7 (00:00 UTC) to April 20 (23:59 UTC).

We will also be accepting questions to ask the candidates from April 7 to April 20. You can submit your questions on Meta-Wiki.

Once the questions submission period has ended on April 20, the Elections Committee will then collate the questions for the candidates to respond to beginning on April 21.

The goal of this process is to fill the three community-selected seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. The election results will be used by the Board itself to select its new members.

The full schedule for the Board elections is as follows. All dates are inclusive, that is, from the beginning of the first day (UTC) to the end of the last.

  • April 7 (00:00 UTC) – April 20 (23:59 UTC) – Board nominations
  • April 7 – April 20 – Board candidates questions submission period
  • April 21 – April 30 – Board candidates answer questions
  • May 1 – May 14 – Board voting period
  • May 15–19 – Board vote checking
  • May 20 – Board result announcement goal

In addition to the Board elections, we will also soon be holding elections for the following roles:

  • Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
    • There are five positions being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.
  • Funds Dissemination Committee Ombudsperson (Ombuds)
    • One position is being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.

Please note that this year the Board of Trustees elections will be held before the FDC and Ombuds elections. Candidates who are not elected to the Board are explicitly permitted and encouraged to submit themselves as candidates to the FDC or Ombuds positions after the results of the Board elections are announced.

More information on this year's elections can be found on Meta-Wiki. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the election talk page on Meta-Wiki, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-elections(at)

On behalf of the Election Committee,
Katie Chan, Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee
Joe Sutherland, Community Advocate, Wikimedia Foundation

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, 03:36, 7 April 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

Tech News: 2017-15[edit]

18:34, 10 April 2017 (UTC)

Read-only mode for 20 to 30 minutes on 19 April and 3 May[edit]

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:34, 11 April 2017 (UTC)

List of most translated works[edit]


There is an ongoing discussion on wikisource-l where we talked about a « list of works that every Wikisource should have » (« should » maybe it seems to pushy). It could include the Bible (one of the most translated work of the World) and it can point to online text (or even better scans) and clear copyright problems.

What do you think of the idea? Anyone interested in helping write a Wikisource:List of works that every Wikisource should have?

Cdlt, VIGNERON (talk) 17:45, 11 April 2017 (UTC)

PS: For information, a Wikidata querry says that the text present on the greatest number of Wikisources is d:Q23393 (Pater noster, 39 Wikisources) followed by d:Q7813 (Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 34 wikisources, but here there is maybe copyright issues).
Hello VIGNERON, I have started such a list on my subpage s:fr:Utilisateur:Consulnico/Textes vitaux just a month or two ago. The goal of this list is to have two texts by language and maximum 20 texts for the big languages, for an almost total of 1000 texts. But it is very long to enumerate everything, especially fot the small languages. I wanted to improve it a little before asking for help, but we can discuss about it, in french on my talk page if we are the only two people interested for the moment ^^. I have lots of ideas about that. --Consulnico (talk) 15:37, 19 April 2017 (UTC)
A list has been created here too :-) --Zyephyrus (talk) 16:08, 19 April 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-16[edit]

19:31, 17 April 2017 (UTC)

Copyright policy, non US works published before 1923 and before 1909[edit]

Hello, in Wikisource:Copyright policy#Works that are in the public domain in the US only, is stated that works published before 1923 can be uploaded here even if they are not yet public domain in their home country. Is this still valid, even after Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA)? Is there a difference between works publoshed before 1923 and before 1909. My current practice in el.wikisource, where I transcribe journals, is to censor any text from authors that died after 1946, wich are not yet PD in Greece. (e.g. el:Βιβλίο:Εστία Αριθμός 520.djvu: censored page: el:Σελίδα:Εστία Αριθμός 520.djvu/1, author died in 1951, the journal was published in 1885). Thank you for your time.--Ah3kal (talk) 04:56, 21 April 2017 (UTC)

Heavily used suggests that works published before 1923 are in the public domain in the USA through copyright expiration even if still copyright-restricted at home, but those published since 1 July 1909 outside the USA may sometimes be considered "unpublished" in the 9th Circuit.--Jusjih (talk) 02:26, 23 April 2017 (UTC)
Jusjih Thank you very much for your answer. So for pre 1909 published works, there is no restriction, uploading them here. But may I upload works published between 1909 and 1923, and under what conditions? Ah3kal (talk) 06:32, 23 April 2017 (UTC)
@Ah3kal: California (where WMF is located) is not in the 9th Circuit. So, unless a contrary US court decission appears, we consider pre-1923 published works to be PD in US and not falling under URAA. Ankry (talk) 20:23, 24 April 2017 (UTC)
Publication in 1885 and death in 1951 would equal to s:template:PD-old-60-1923, relaxed to PD-old-70-1923 in 2022. Those in the 9th Circuit may have to check some works published between 1909 and 1923 if the authors are known not to have died for at least 70 years.--Jusjih (talk) 04:12, 26 April 2017 (UTC)
@Ankry: I am confused! You say California is not in the 9th Circuit, but in the link provided above ( I read in Special Cases of Works Published Abroad section "In Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands ONLY. Published in a language other than English, and without subsequent republication with a copyright notice".Ah3kal (talk) 07:36, 27 April 2017 (UTC)
If seems I have misread. I am also confused. Ankry (talk) 08:30, 27 April 2017 (UTC)
I don't know anyone who pays attention to the 9th Circuit rules. It's a widely mocked decision, and it's possible the WMF would take it to the Supreme Court to get them to overrule it. Neither Commons nor the English Wikisource worries about it.--Prosfilaes (talk) 14:32, 28 April 2017 (UTC)
If I am correct, Wikimedia used to be in Florida, USA with its server, but relocating the office to San Francisco, California, USA has not also moved the server, so the server is not subject to the 9th Circuit.--Jusjih (talk) 04:03, 10 May 2017 (UTC)

Local language namespaces on Norwegian Wikisource not working[edit]

Hi. On the Norwegian Wikisource, we have translated the Index and Page namespaces into Indeks and Side respectively (see no:MediaWiki:Proofreadpage namespace). Since the last few days or weeks this translation doesn't seem to work anymore, as all Proofreadpage pages show up as English Page in the recent edits. And when trying to create a new index, I have to write Index:Something instead of Indeks:Something. Could anyone help us find out what is wrong here? The last time we had problems with the Proofreadpage extension on the Norwegian Wikisource, it had something to do with the nb versus no language codes (see Wikisource:Scriptorium/Archives/Jan 2016 - Dec 2016#Proofreadpage on the Norwegian Wikisource) Kåre-Olav (talk) 13:55, 23 April 2017 (UTC)

I got some help from a user on Norwegian Wikipedia who reported the bug to Phabricator: phab:T163647. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. Kåre-Olav (talk) 21:34, 23 April 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-17[edit]

16:40, 24 April 2017 (UTC)

Deletion of Eastern Punjabi pages[edit]

Hello admins, after the creation of pa:, I have now imported there all the pages which are listed on User:MF-Warburg/pa. They can now be deleted here. --MF-Warburg (talk) 15:09, 27 April 2017 (UTC)

@Satdeep Gill: can you tell us which pages should be deleted? If there are too many, so we can ask @DerHexer: who has a script for it. Thanks, -jkb- (talk) 07:44, 28 April 2017 (UTC)
Some pages have not be imported yet. Let me check that with MF-Warburg. --Satdeep Gill (talk) 07:46, 28 April 2017 (UTC)
OK. FYI: Main pages will not be deleted, they stay. -jkb- (talk) 16:23, 28 April 2017 (UTC)
I have imported more pages now, which I also listed on the page. User:Satdeep Gill: Is it complete now? --MF-Warburg (talk) 19:32, 8 May 2017 (UTC)
Yes, everything is okay now. Let's delete these pages. --Satdeep Gill (talk) 19:07, 13 May 2017 (UTC)
OK, here the ping for @DerHexer:, do you think you can help here again with your script? In this case I would propose to use a bot flag; is it possible to delete the all pages in a category (I've just forgotten it); @Satdeep Gill: pls see here in next days as you probably would have to coordinate it a bit (where the pages are to be found etc.). Best regards -jkb- (talk) 22:54, 13 May 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-18[edit]

19:49, 1 May 2017 (UTC)

Voting has begun in 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections[edit]

19:14, 3 May 2017 (UTC)

Beta Feature Two Column Edit Conflict View[edit]

Birgit Müller (WMDE) 14:41, 8 May 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-19[edit]

02:25, 9 May 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-20[edit]

21:48, 15 May 2017 (UTC)


Birgit Müller (WMDE) 14:44, 16 May 2017 (UTC)

Join the next cycle of Wikimedia movement strategy discussions (underway until June 12)[edit]

21:09, 16 May 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-21[edit]

22:02, 22 May 2017 (UTC)

Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Funds Dissemination Committee elections[edit]

21:06, 23 May 2017 (UTC)


I just imported the Piemontèis Bible from the incubator. Currently, none of the pages are categorized. I don't whether it's possible, but if someone got a script (bot) which can automatically add Category:Piemontèis to all pages prefixed "Intrada/La Bibia piemontèisa/" that would be very helpful :) --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 11:53, 28 May 2017 (UTC)

As there has been a communicative error concerning the exact page names, I am required to fix all pages individually, so I might as well add the category manually. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 14:31, 28 May 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-22[edit]

12:18, 30 May 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-23[edit]

19:04, 5 June 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-24[edit]

15:29, 12 June 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-25[edit]

15:44, 19 June 2017 (UTC)


In addition to using it for languages without subdomains, I would like to request comments on using it for edicts that are still copyright-restricted in their source countries, in case hosting them on specific language subdomains is undesirable when considering wmf:Resolution:Licensing_policy. For example, hosting copyrighted-restricted Hong Kong court papers on Chinese Wikisource is being disputed, so in addition to Template:PD-US-1923-abroad used by some Chinese works, I would like to ask. Taiwan disallows Hong Kong governmental copyright, but other Chinese-speaking areas like Maniland China and Macao are not so clear.--Jusjih (talk) 01:41, 20 June 2017 (UTC)

As this section of our copyright policy suggests we should allow texts that are in scope, PD in the US and that cannot be moved to language subdomains because of copyright related reason. I think that another policy would be discriminating for languages with their own subdomains over languages without their own subdomains. If nobody opposes, I would also suggest to add to the copyright policy a statement that the rule is general and the pre-1923 case is just an example. Ankry (talk) 14:36, 24 June 2017 (UTC)
Thanks. The policy needs improvement.--Jusjih (talk) 22:48, 29 June 2017 (UTC)
I have added a paragraph to our copyright policy with no objection so far.[126]--Jusjih (talk) 03:02, 3 July 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-26[edit]

15:38, 26 June 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-27[edit]

15:31, 3 July 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-28[edit]

15:07, 10 July 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-29[edit]

22:58, 17 July 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-30[edit]

15:57, 24 July 2017 (UTC)

Accessible editing buttons[edit]

--Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 16:56, 27 July 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-31[edit]

21:45, 31 July 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-32[edit]

21:45, 7 August 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-33[edit]

23:28, 14 August 2017 (UTC)


I have updated it for the first time in several years. Do we want to maintain this page or archive it? If we decide to not update it, it should be removed from the sidebar. —Justin (koavf)TCM 00:02, 17 August 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-34[edit]

18:00, 21 August 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-35[edit]

22:09, 28 August 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-36[edit]

22:14, 4 September 2017 (UTC)

Setting page content language[edit]

Since December, we are allowed to tell MediaWiki in what language each page content is, see m:Special:Log/pagelang for some examples. It would be nice to allow all users here on the multilingual Wikisource to set the real language of the pages. I would for instance mark Category:Napulitano pages as being in "nap", not English, to hopefully improve their indexing in language-aware search engines. --Nemo 06:18, 10 September 2017 (UTC)

@Nemo bis: Do you know how someone marks a page's language? —Justin (koavf)TCM 07:49, 10 September 2017 (UTC)
Special:PageLanguage, for instance; it's also linked from the action=info of every page (surprisingly, it's a red link here; maybe the wiki was forgotten in the first round of enabling, but that's easy to fix). --Nemo 16:23, 11 September 2017 (UTC)
@Nemo bis: Very helpful. Thanks. —Justin (koavf)TCM 18:24, 11 September 2017 (UTC)

See phab:T175622. —Justin (koavf)TCM 18:26, 11 September 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-37[edit]

19:15, 11 September 2017 (UTC)

Indexing journal[edit] All issues older than three years are available freely. —Justin (koavf)TCM 00:48, 14 September 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-38[edit]

15:31, 18 September 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-39[edit]

15:59, 25 September 2017 (UTC)

File rename[edit]

Few days ago I uploaded a file under a wrong name. As regular users do not seem to be allowed to rename a file, I asked an active admin for help. Unfortunately, I get no response for about a week.

Any hint, where should I put a request that is directed to admins only? I found no specific page for that in this wiki.

I doubt, spamming all admins' talk pages is the right way.

Maybe I should just reupload the file under the correct name?

The current name is wrong as one day the file should be moved to Commons and Commons require more descriptive filenames. Renaming a file transcribed using ProofreadPage may be a real pain in future.

Blossfeldia liliputańa (talk) 07:53, 28 September 2017 (UTC)

Yes check.svg Done Yann (talk) 08:14, 28 September 2017 (UTC)
Thank you! Blossfeldia liliputańa (talk) 11:34, 28 September 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-40[edit]

23:25, 2 October 2017 (UTC)

Comparison of template uses between Wikisources[edit]


Is there a tool to see if equivalent templates are used on two pages linked on two Wikisources?

For instance, all pages on frwiki using fr:Modèle:Éditions should be linked to page on enwiki who used en:Template:Versions. How can I have a list of pair of pages where only one of the two templates is used ?

Cdlt, VIGNERON (talk) 10:13, 3 October 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-41[edit]

14:20, 9 October 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-42[edit]

15:31, 16 October 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-43[edit]

18:18, 23 October 2017 (UTC)

Policy on contents in a language without an ISO 639-3 code[edit]

What's the policy on this here? On Incubator we wouldn't allow a test to stay open (unless there is an RFL open at Meta). See Main Page/Bolak. The code shown there is in the ISO reserved/local group, not a "real" code. StevenJ81 (talk) 17:51, 26 October 2017 (UTC)

@StevenJ81: We even have a language here which may not exist: Main Page/Chono. —Justin (koavf)TCM 19:06, 26 October 2017 (UTC)
@Koavf: The only known "attestation", if you will, is probably the piece of text on the single content page in that language. The question is, of course, whether it is actually a language or not. But that piece of text, at least, is probably a legitimate effort. And the language is coded as mis, which is probably ok for Wikisource. I'm going to edit that other page so that it, too, reads mis. StevenJ81 (talk) 14:19, 21 November 2017 (UTC)
@StevenJ81: Good call. It's legit to have mis or und languages, just like how we have individual mul texts. —Justin (koavf)TCM 16:39, 21 November 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-44[edit]

00:20, 31 October 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-45[edit]

18:45, 6 November 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-46[edit]

19:19, 13 November 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-47[edit]

19:18, 20 November 2017 (UTC)

New print to pdf feature for mobile web readers[edit]

CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 22:07, 20 November 2017 (UTC)

Changes to the global ban policy[edit]

The following was copied in manually from Ladino Wikipedia's version of this page because evidently delivery failed here. StevenJ81 (talk) 14:14, 21 November 2017 (UTC)
Hello. Some changes to the community global ban policy have been proposed. Your comments are welcome at m:Requests for comment/Improvement of global ban policy. Please translate this message to your language, if needed. Cordially. Matiia (Matiia) 00:34 12 November 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-48[edit]

20:30, 27 November 2017 (UTC)


Hello! Is it possible to install cat-a-lot here? I want to reorder a category with lots of pages and it's quite time-consuming to do it by hand. -Theklan (talk) 13:04, 3 December 2017 (UTC)

@Theklan: Of course. You can add it to User:Theklan/common.js. —Justin (koavf)TCM 21:18, 3 December 2017 (UTC)
@Koavf: Did it, but can't find the cat-a-lot button in the bottom! -Theklan (talk) 21:25, 3 December 2017 (UTC)
@Theklan: On a category or another namespace? It may take refreshing and purging some pages for it to show. —Justin (koavf)TCM 21:37, 3 December 2017 (UTC)
@Koavf:: Ona category, but cant find how to make it work! -Theklan (talk) 15:26, 4 December 2017 (UTC)
@Theklan: Is it not displaying or is it displaying and you can't make sense of it? Have you looked at the page for the gadget on Commons? —Justin (koavf)TCM 17:39, 4 December 2017 (UTC)
@Koavf: is not displaying, there's no "Cat-a-lot" link in the bottom right of the page! -Theklan (talk) 19:37, 4 December 2017 (UTC)
@Theklan: Hm, nor for me as well. I wish I knew how to fix this. —Justin (koavf)TCM 19:50, 4 December 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-49[edit]

17:50, 4 December 2017 (UTC)

Invitation to Blocking tools consultation[edit]

Hello all,

The Wikimedia Foundation's Anti-Harassment Tools team invites all Wikimedians to discuss new blocking tools and improvements to existing blocking tools in December 2017 for development work in early 2018.

How can you help?

  1. Share your ideas on the discussion page or send an email to the Anti-Harassment Tools team.
  2. Spread the word that the consultation is happening; this is an important discussion for making decisions about improving the blocking tools.
  3. Help with translation.
  4. If you know of previous discussions about blocking tools that happened on your wiki, share the links.

We are looking forward to learning your ideas.

For the Anti-Harassment Tools team SPoore (WMF), Community Advocate, Community health initiative (talk) 23:23, 7 December 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-50[edit]

17:58, 11 December 2017 (UTC)

Tech News: 2017-51[edit]

15:26, 18 December 2017 (UTC)