Wikisource:Scriptorium

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search

أهلا و سهلا – Xoş gəlmişsiniz – Вiтаем – Добре дошъл – স্বাগতম – Degemer mat – Dobrodošli – Benvinguts – Croeso – Velkommen – Willkommen – Şıma xeyr ameyê – Κκαλώς ήρθες – Welcome – Bonvenon – Bienvenidos – Tere tulemast – Ongietorri – خوش آمدید – Tervetuloa – Bienvenue – Wolkom – Fáilte – ברוכים הבאים – Aloha – स्वागतम – Dobrodošli – Isten hozott – Բարի գալուստ – Benvenite – Nno̱ – Selamat datang – Bonveno – Velkommin – Benvenuti – ᐊᕆᐅᙵᐃᐹ – ようこそ – Sugeng rawuh – კეთილი იყოს შენი მობრძანება – Tikilluarit – 환영합니다 – Salve – Wilkóm – Laipni lūdzam – സ്വാഗതം – स्वागत आ – Merħba – Welkom – Velkommen – Planvengut – Witajcie – Bem-vindo – Allinmi hamusqaykichik – Bun venit – Добро пожаловать – स्वागतम् – ආයුබෝවන් – Vitajte – Dobrodošli – Soo dhowow – Mirëserdhët – Добро дошли – Wilujeng sumping – Välkommen – Karibu – స్వాగతం – ยินดีต้อนรับ – Mabuhay – Hoşgeldiniz – Räxim itegez – Maeva – خۇش كەپسىز – خوش آمديد – Chào mừng đến – Benokömö – װילקום – კუჩხი ბედინერი ჸოფედას თქვანი მოზოჯუა – 欢迎 – 歡迎 – સુસ્વાગત – (edit)


arهذا الموقع الرئيسي لنقاش ويكي مصدر ومكان طلب المساعدة. استخدم اللغات التي تعرف، وترجم ما ترغب.
deDies ist eine zentrale Stelle, um alle Themen um Wikisource zu diskutieren, und ein Platz, um nach Hilfe zu fragen. Benutzen Sie die Sprache(n), die Sie beherrschen, und übersetzen Sie, was Ihnen gefällt.
diqNo wikiçıme heta merselan war ardış u mınaqeşe kerdış i heta cay peşti waştışiyo.Zıwanê ke şıma zanê ê zımani dı iştıraq bıkerê u açarnayış seni beno bıumısê.
elΑυτή είναι η κεντρική τοποθεσία για να συζητήσετε θέματα για τη Βικιθήκη, αλλά και το μέρος για να ζητήσετε βοήθεια. Χρησιμοποιήστε τη γλώσσα (ή τις γλώσσες) που γνωρίζετε και μεταφράστε αυτά που θέλετε.
enThis is the central location for discussing issues with Wikisource, and the place to ask for help. Use the language(s) you know, and translate what you like.
eoJen la centra diskutloko por ĉio, kio rilatas al la Wikisource kiel vikio. Uzu la lingvo(j)n kiu(j)n vi konas kaj traduku laŭplaĉe tion, kion aliaj redaktis.
esEste es el lugar central para discutir cualquier asunto de Wikisource y es el lugar para pedir ayuda. Use los idiomas que conozca, y traduzca lo que crea necesario que otros sepan.
frCeci est la page principale pour discuter de ce qui a trait à Wikisource, et pour demander de l’aide. Utilisez la (ou les) langue(s) que vous connaissez, et traduisez ce qui vous plaît.
heזה הדף המיועד לדיונים העוסקים בויקיטקסט, והמקום לפנות לעזרה. השתמשו בשפות שאתם מכירים, ותרגמו את מה שאתם רוצים.
hyՍա Վիքիդարանի հետ կապված հարցերի քննարկման կենտրոնական վայրն է, որտեղ դուք կարող եք նաև դիմել հարցերով։ Օգտագործեք ձեր իմացած լեզուն(երը) և թարգմանե՛ք ի՜նչ կամենում եք։
itQuesto è il luogo principale dove discutere di Wikisource, e il posto dove chiedere aiuto.Scrivi nella lingua che vuoi, puoi anche tradurre quello che vuoi.
jaここはプロジェクトについて議論したり、質問がある時に尋ねたりするための場所です。お望みの言語を使って書き込んで下さい。他の人の書き込みを翻訳して下さる方も歓迎です。
ko이곳은 주로 위키문헌과 관련된 문제들에 관한 논의를 하는 곳이며 도움을 구할 수 있는 곳입니다. 당신이 구사할 수 있는 언어를 사용해서 마음껏 번역해 주시길 바랍니다.
nlDit is de centrale plek om elk onderwerp in Wikisource te bediscussiëren en de plaats om hulp te vragen. Gebruik de taal die je kent en vertaal wat en wanneer je wilt.
plTo główne miejsce dyskusji o sprawach związanych z Wikiźródłami i miejsce uzyskiwania pomocy. Używaj języków, które znasz i tłumacz co i kiedy chcesz.
ptEsta é a página principal para discutir tudo o que se relaciona com o Wikisource e também o lugar para procurar ajuda. Faça uso da(s) língua(s) que conhece, e traduza os textos que quiser.
ruЭто центральное место для обсуждений, связанных с Викитекой в целом, а также место, где можно спросить о помощи. Используйте язык, который вы знаете и переводите что и когда вам нравится.
suIeu mangrupa loka pikeun nyawalakeun hal-hal ngeunaan Wikisource, sarta tempat pikeun ménta pitulung. Pigunakeun basa nu ku anjeun dipikawanoh, tarjamahkeun nu dipikaresep.
svDetta är den huvudsakliga platsen där alla typer av frågor rörande Wikisource diskuteras och där nya frågor kan ställas. Använd de språk som du kan och översätt när och vad du vill av andra.
viĐây là trung tâm để thảo luận các vấn đề liên quan đến Wikisource. Bạn sử dụng các ngôn ngữ bạn biết, và dịch những gì bạn thích.
voAtos binon top cifik, kö mögos ad bespikön valikosi dö Vükifonät, e kö kanoy i begön yufi. Gebolös pükis, kelis sevol, e tradutolös utosi, kelosi vilol.
zh-hant這裡是討論與維基資源有關話題和尋求幫助的頁面。使用您所了解的語言留言。您也可以在任何時候把他人的留言翻譯成您熟悉的語言。
zh-hans这里是讨论与维基资源有关话题和寻求帮助的页面。使用您所了解的语言留言。您也可以在任何时候把他人的留言翻译成您熟悉的语言。
(edit)

Important project pages: What is Wikisource?Wikisource and WikibooksVotesCopyrightPossible copyright violationsProposed deletionsCatalogingWikisource and Project Gutenberg

Languages: Language policyLanguage domain requestsLanguage domain requests/Rules for votingList of Wikisource Languages

Coordination: StatisticsProofreadPage StatisticsSubdomain coordinationNews


Pre-launch discussions


Archives

The whole history is here.

Contents

Assamese Wikisource[edit]

Hi, Assamese Wikisource has been created today and I have imported the content from Category:অসমীয়া and subcategories; they can now probably be deleted here. I put a list on User:MF-Warburg#Assamese_pages. Best regards, --MF-Warburg (talk) 20:18, 3 January 2013 (UTC)

Be a Wikimedia fundraising "User Experience" volunteer![edit]

Thank you to everyone who volunteered last year on the Wikimedia fundraising 'User Experience' project. We have talked to many different people in different countries and their feedback has helped us immensely in restructuring our pages. If you haven't heard of it yet, the 'User Experience' project has the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries (outside the USA) and enhancing the localization of our donation pages.

I am (still) searching for volunteers to spend some time on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.

The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. **All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be very low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)**

By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email ppena@wikimedia.org. All countries needed (excepting USA)!!

Thanks!

Pats Pena
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation

Sent using Global message delivery, 21:23, 8 January 2013 (UTC)

Bugzilla request to deploy Universal Language Selector here[edit]

A user has submitted bugzilla:44032 to deploy Narayam or Universal Language Selector (ULS) on mulWS. From my (limited) view of where WMF is progressing, it seems to make sense that mulWS (w|sh)ould look to preferably deploy mw:Extension:Universal Language Selector. A quick search finds this and this covers the matter. For those who have seen WebFonts in various places, this is the successor to that.

The primary aim is to allow users to select a language and configure its support in an easy way.

The extension provides the following features:

  1. Flexible and easy way to select a language from a large set of languages.
    1. Selection can be based on geographical region based browsing, searching.
    2. Search can be based on ISO language code, language name written in current user interface language or in its own script(autonym)
    3. Cross language search - search language names using any script
    4. Autocompletion of language names
    5. Auto correction of spelling mistakes in search strings
    6. Geo IP based language suggestions
    7. Language selection based on users browser/OS language
  2. Input methods
    1. An easily selectable input method collection, readily available in every editable field
    2. Provides a large set of input methods for wide range of languages
    3. Per-language input method preferences
  3. Webfonts
    1. A large collection of fonts to choose for each language to use as embedded font for the page
    2. Per-language font preferences

mw:Extension:Universal Language Selector

The change will only take place if a community discussion has taken place (which I am obviously starting), though it would be useful that the community's considered opinion be added to the bugzilla to allow the extension to be added, or for the status quo to remain. billinghurst sDrewth 05:09, 17 January 2013 (UTC)

Not that it is my bugzilla, however, I propose that the mulWS community looks to support the deployment on mulWS of the Universal Language Selector Extension

closing as supported and noting to that effect in Bugzilla. I hope that the admins are happy with that approach. If not please disagree in the bugzilla and note whatever reason and for it not to progress. billinghurst sDrewth 08:03, 2 February 2013 (UTC)
ULS is now deployed. Tpt (talk) 20:07, 15 February 2013 (UTC)
Is it known than ULS is not compatible with FF 3.6, and perhaps other version ? By not compatible I mean than if you click on the link and start to interact with the window, it display a huge grey area and you can't do anything to recover except close the tab. — Phe
I don't know. You should report this issue on bugzilla. Tpt (talk) 14:45, 16 February 2013 (UTC)

New feature for the ProofreadPage extension[edit]

Creating Index pages starting from the "Search" field is a bit rough. Thus I propose to add a new special page to the ProofreadPage extension (potential name: "Special:CreateIndexPage") and to add it to the sidebar's toolbox, under "Upload file".

The special page may include:

  • an introductory text ("Would you like to transcribe a text from its scans? Ensure they have been uploaded either to Wikimedia Commons or here to {{SERVERNAME}}. Then enter the file name without the "File:" prefix in the below text field. [[$1|Learn more about Index pages]]")
  • a text field for entering the file name without the "File:" prefix. Beside the field, a notification may appear when text is typed or pasted:
    • ✔ This file exists on {{SERVERNAME}} if there is a file with that name on that domain or both on Wikimedia Commons and on that domain
    • ✔ This file exists on Wikimedia Commons if there is a file with that name on Wikimedia Commons only
    • ✘ This file exists neither on Wikimedia Commons nor on {{SERVERNAME}} if there isn't a file with that name
  • the "Create button"

The special page is especially intended for newcomers. What is your opinion? Who knows how to do this in practice?--Erasmo Barresi (talk) 18:17, 17 January 2013 (UTC)

Answer as contributor: I believe that, instead of creating a new special page and a new link in the sidebar, a better thing to do to help newcomers is maybe to make more visible the link to the index pages in the file pages (an example of file page) because, before creating an index page, the user will search for a scan and, so, go to the file page. But there is an issue with that work-flow: this link isn't shown currently in commons if the description of the file doesn't use the book template with the Wikisource field. <dream>In the future, it would be wonderful to have a specific version of the upload wizard for books that allow to set fields of the Book template and create the index page in Wikisource</dream>. Tpt (talk) 20:06, 18 January 2013 (UTC)
Answer as ProofreadPage maintainer: if there is a consensus of the community to create this index page, I am ready to create it and integrate it into the extension. It's a very easy thing.
Tpt (talk) 20:06, 18 January 2013 (UTC)

Can I come back to the basic premise. Do people searching at one of the Wikisources arrive with the intention of transcribing a book? Further if they are new to the sites, is the first thing that we want them to be doing is to say "I will transcribe 'such and such' a book? and start on the process from scratch and in isolation? My guess is that we will have a whole lot of Index: pages created and not a lot more in the way of transcription, and I am seeing other possible errors like .jpg book covers, etc. having an index page. To me, the introductory component is correct and this is about the engagement and the help. If we don't have a specific work, then we should be looking to engage people context specific and helpful information, point them to where they can find help and ask questions about how to start. We may come to having a special tool, however, the wish and intent to transcribe should first be tested and supported.

To Tpt's suggestion about File: ns pages, I do like your idea on being clever in that regard. I cannot see how you have implemented MediaWiki:Proofreadpage image message, though presume that it relies on an #ifexist: test. So we just need the ability to configure when the result is does not exist and I would suggest that it is to help pages (specialised?) where each WS can have their context relevant and customised help text. billinghurst sDrewth 23:50, 19 January 2013 (UTC)

No, most people visiting Wikisource do not have the intention of transcribing a book. Nevertheless, we must lead visitors to transcribe a book. As an example, Commons and YouTube have got an "Upload" button. Wikipedia articles start from red links, as well as Wikisource author pages and main-namespace pages. Instead, Index pages have got no place to start from. This does not mean that we should encourage users to starting transcriptions that they will never finish.--Erasmo Barresi (talk) 19:57, 21 January 2013 (UTC)
Erasmo, to lead our visitors would result into making them angry and with some reason don’t you think so?  :) there is no obligation to do that. — Clear indications about how to help to build the world library that we are building, in case our readers wish to help, is a different thing though, so I agree with this side of your proposition. --Zyephyrus (talk) 14:14, 22 January 2013 (UTC)
I wrote lead in the sense of guide them to the right place. Other websites are more successful because thy are more intuitive.--Erasmo Barresi (talk) 16:51, 22 January 2013 (UTC)
There is a strange synchronicity because I discussed the very same issue in private with other wikilibrarians just few days ago :-). My original idea was to pre-load the template book in Commons, when there a .djvu is uploaded. this would be useful for wikilibrarians and would add a bit of coherence there.
A special Upload Wizard, for wikisources, is of course much needed. It would be very useful for both experienced users and newcomers to be able to just stay on Wikisource and upload (from here!) a book on Commons. But this would also need a lot of work for metadata. As you all very well know we write metadata on Commons (book template), Wikisource (index and ns0 header) and sometimes even Wikipedia. It would be massively useful to store the data on Wikidata, and have them all transcluded in various wiki projects when needed. Moreover, just think about that we never use OpenLibrary/Worldcat/OPAC metadata for our books, and that we are just recataloguing them for the nth time... Could we maybe discuss a strategy as Wikilibrarians all together? Aubrey (talk) 15:59, 28 January 2013 (UTC)
Really, I think we should wait for further developments in order to use Wikidata for this purpose. Currently, Wikidata handles neither Wikisource links nor infoboxes.--Erasmo Barresi (talk) 19:02, 30 January 2013 (UTC)
See #Grant_application_for:_.22New_Wikisource_relationship_with_Commons.2C_Wikidata_and_Wikipedia.22. :-) Aubrey (talk) 11:11, 31 January 2013 (UTC)

Wikimedia sites to move to primary data center in Ashburn, Virginia. Read-only mode expected.[edit]

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.) Next week, the Wikimedia Foundation will transition its main technical operations to a new data center in Ashburn, Virginia, USA. This is intended to improve the technical performance and reliability of all Wikimedia sites, including this wiki. There will be some times when the site will be in read-only mode, and there may be full outages; the current target windows for the migration are January 22nd, 23rd and 24th, 2013, from 17:00 to 01:00 UTC (see other timezones on timeanddate.com). More information is available in the full announcement.

If you would like to stay informed of future technical upgrades, consider becoming a Tech ambassador and joining the ambassadors mailing list. You will be able to help your fellow Wikimedians have a voice in technical discussions and be notified of important decisions.

Thank you for your help and your understanding.

Guillaume Paumier, via the Global message delivery system (wrong page? You can fix it.). 15:48, 19 January 2013 (UTC)

Picture of the Year voting round 1 open[edit]

Dear Wikimedians,

Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2012 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We're interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2012. Voting is open to established Wikimedia users who meet the following criteria:

  1. Users must have an account, at any Wikimedia project, which was registered before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC].
  2. This user account must have more than 75 edits on any single Wikimedia project before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC]. Please check your account eligibility at the POTY 2012 Contest Eligibility tool.
  3. Users must vote with an account meeting the above requirements either on Commons or another SUL-related Wikimedia project (for other Wikimedia projects, the account must be attached to the user's Commons account through SUL).

Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.

For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the Picture of the Year.

To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2012 page on Wikimedia Commons.

Wikimedia Commons celebrates our featured images of 2012 with this contest. Your votes decide the Picture of the Year, so remember to vote in the first round by January 30, 2013.

Thanks,
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee

This message was delivered based on m:Distribution list/Global message delivery. Translation fetched from: commons:Commons:Picture of the Year/2012/Translations/Village Pump/en -- Rillke (talk) 23:57, 22 January 2013 (UTC)

Bot request; RileyBot[edit]

I request a bot flag for my bot

  • Operator: -Riley Huntley
  • Purpose: Fix broken and double redirects.
  • Script used: Python, pywikipedia.
  • Already has the bot flag on: enwikivoyage, frwikivoyage and enwikipedia.

-Riley Huntley (SWMT) 04:24, 27 January 2013 (UTC)

Malaysian Wikisource[edit]

Hi, I would like to suggest moving Perlembagaan Persekutuan Malaysia and it's subpages to prefix Ms/. (by way of meta:Requests for new languages/Wikisource Malay). See also unindexed page in Category:Bahasa Melayu. I'm comparing it with Jv and Category:Javanese, so CMIIW Bennylin (talk) 14:38, 29 January 2013 (UTC)

Help turn ideas into grants in the new IdeaLab[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.

  • Do you have an idea for a project to improve this community or website?
  • Do you think you could complete your idea if only you had some funding?
  • Do you want to help other people turn their ideas into project plans or grant proposals?

Please join us in the IdeaLab, an incubator for project ideas and Individual Engagement Grant proposals.

The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking new ideas and proposals for Individual Engagement Grants. These grants fund individuals or small groups to complete projects that help improve this community. If interested, please submit a completed proposal by February 15, 2013. Please visit https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG for more information.

Thanks! --Siko Bouterse, Head of Individual Engagement Grants, Wikimedia Foundation 20:59, 30 January 2013 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Correct it here.)

Grant application for: "New Wikisource relationship with Commons, Wikidata and Wikipedia"[edit]

Since the Wikidata project is allowing us new ways of handling content, I have started a grant proposal to define a vision about how to integrate Wikisource content in Commons and Wikipedia. Please, check my grant application and share your thoughts. Thanks! --Micru (talk) 06:42, 28 January 2013 (UTC)

Copied the above from commons:COM:VP: for mysterious reasons, it wasn't shared with Wikisource. --Nemo 08:20, 31 January 2013 (UTC)

Please comment on Individual Engagement Grant proposals until February 21[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.

The Wikimedia Foundation is considering Individual Engagement Grant proposals from community members. Please join the discussion and share your thoughts about these ideas, until February 21. The following proposal may be of particular relevance for this Wikimedia project:

Thanks! --Siko Bouterse, Head of Individual Engagement Grants, Wikimedia Foundation 01:05, 20 February 2013 (UTC) Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Correct it here.)


Picture of the Year 2012[edit]

Results, here’s the winner:




Pair of Merops apiaster feeding

European Bee-eater, Ariège, France.

The female (in front) awaits the offering which the male will make...




--Zyephyrus (talk) 19:00, 22 February 2013 (UTC)

Fable de Schleicher[edit]

Hi,

fr:Fable de Schleicher is proposed for deletion on the french-speaking wikisource (writen by August Schleicher, 1821 – 1868 ; see w:en:Schleicher's fable for some more explanations). What do you think : could these texts be import on oldwikisource or not ?

Cdlt, VIGNERON (talk) 11:14, 2 March 2013 (UTC)

Self-link to wikidata[edit]

Hi all.

I mounted into it.wikisource, commons and it.wikivoyage a sctipt derived from the tool suggested [here] and it runs.It adds a link to wikidata into any page with an item into wikidata; and it saves into a $("body").data() variable the whole set of data got from wikidata. I'm going to test a old.wikisource version of it here into User:Alex brollo/common.js: feel free to use it if you like. Italic text--Alex brollo (talk) 17:35, 4 March 2013 (UTC)

Test the result here (it runs!): Author:Giuseppe Peano. I'm going to mount the same script into en:User.Alex brollo/common.js, I found that here Authors linking to wikidata are not so many. --Alex brollo (talk) 17:44, 4 March 2013 (UTC)

Convert complex templates to Lua to make them faster and more powerful[edit]

(Please consider translating this message for the benefit of your fellow Wikimedians)

Greetings. As you might have seen on the Wikimedia tech blog or the tech ambassadors list, a new functionality called "Lua" is being enabled on all Wikimedia sites today. Lua is a scripting language that enables you to write faster and more powerful MediaWiki templates.

If you have questions about how to convert existing templates to Lua (or how to create new ones), we'll be holding two support sessions on IRC next week: one on Wednesday (for Oceania, Asia & America) and one on Friday (for Europe, Africa & America); see m:IRC office hours for the details. If you can't make it, you can also get help at mw:Talk:Lua scripting.

If you'd like to learn about this kind of events earlier in advance, consider becoming a Tech ambassador by subscribing to the mailing list. You will also be able to help your fellow Wikimedians have a voice in technical discussions and be notified of important decisions.

Guillaume Paumier, via the Global message delivery system. 20:30, 13 March 2013 (UTC) (wrong page? You can fix it.)

Wikisources asked for ideas re: Google Summer of Code[edit]

WMF has prodded me and wanted to make sure that the Wikisources were putting on their thinking caps for Google Summer of Code

It's time to start defining what we want our Google Summer of Code to be all about. Let's look at the ideas we are proposing to potential students:

mw:Mentorship programs/Possible projects

Many of the ideas listed there are too generic ("Write an extension"), improvements of existing features ("Improve Extension:CSS") or work-in-progress tasks ("Fix Parsoid bugs"). Many others are not directly related with development, and therefore not suitable either for GSOC.

After this filtering, we seem to be left with:

  • Article evolution playback tool idea
  • An easy way to share wiki content on social media services
  • Write an extension to support XML Sitemaps without using command line
  • Extension:OEmbedProvider
  • Add support for x3d 3D files to MediaWiki
  • Allow smoother and easier Wikimedia Commons pictures discovery
  • Build an interwiki notifications framework and implement it for InstantCommons
  • Automatic category redirects

(If you think your project should also be considered here please speak up!)

Most of these projects seem to be extension (and PHP?) centric. Can we have more diversity? Maybe gadgets and templates are too simple for a GSOC project? What about the mobile front? Do we have skin development projects that could make it here? Anything in the DevOps area? Anything the MediaWiki core maintainers would like to see happening?

It would be also nice to have more candidates benefiting specific Wikimedia projects. Beyond Wikipedia, we have several proposals related to Commons. Wikidata seems to be joining soon. What else? Could this be a chance to help Wiktionary, Wikibooks or any other project with specific needs craving for tech attention?

Also to the many students that have already showed their interest: feel free pushing your project ideas now!

—Quim Gil, Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation, via mailing lists

We have some information at Wikisource:Wishlist, however, this is probably the opportunity to think of a fresh idea that is an opportunity for a short and limited time period.

I am going to send similar to the Wikisource-l mailing list and to enWS, and ask for them to contribute here. I think that something that is holistic for the WSes is more likely than a single wiki suggestion. billinghurst sDrewth 01:59, 23 March 2013 (UTC)

I copy here a mail I sent to wikisource-l:
That is a really good opportunity. We also have http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikisource_roadmap,

that we set up at Wikimania 2012. Few of those thought are now in the Wikisource Grant proposal, too: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/Elaborate_Wikisource_strategic_vision

I would say that a proper metadata handling system is maybe the first priority, but maybe we can accomplish that via Lua templates on WS and metadata stored in Wikidata.
Another thing would be working with OKFN tools for seeking and integration (TEXTUS, for example).

http://textusproject.org/

Moreover, Djvu support/handling was an interest also of the WMF: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikisource_roadmap#Djvu
Well, there's a lot of stuff we can do :-) Aubrey (talk) 11:45, 23 March 2013 (UTC)
An idea: One-click import from the Internet Archive, with Djvu upload to Wikimedia Commons, same metadata, right copyright template, create Index page on the right language version of Wikisource, create all Pages with the existing OCR text, so they are ready for Google indexing, and later proofreading.
  1. The user finds an interersting book at the Internet Archive.
  2. User presses one button.
  3. The text is ready for proofreading.
No, I'm not volunteering to write the software. --LA2 (talk) 16:21, 23 March 2013 (UTC)
There is already https://toolserver.org/~tpt/iaUploadBot that allows to upload easily IA files to Wikimedia Commons.
I've opened a GSoc proposal about Proofread Page in order to improve Page: pages edition interface and allow edition of these pages with the Visual Editor. Tpt (talk) 06:29, 9 April 2013 (UTC)
idea (hope not too late); request wikisource upload wizard - process flow = upload pdf to commons -> automatically convert to deja-vu -> automatically create work & toc at wikisource -> automatically match and split pages at source
the objective is to provide a tool for cultural professionals who are not coders to upload their content. design of user experience will be the hard part ? Slowking4 (talk) 16:32, 9 April 2013 (UTC)

Wikisource improvements for Summer of Code 2013[edit]

Hello! I am planning to submit a proposal regarding Extension:Collection for this summer's Google Summer of Code and Outreach Program for Women. I'm still working to narrow down the focus of this project, as I have many ideas on what can be improved (idea page can be found at User:GorillaWarfare/GSoC). My ideas include improvements that would affect Wikisource. Currently, printing or saving a Wikisource book is quite challenging, as the Collection extension has no way of identifying which pages make up a book. One of my project ideas is implementing a method to associate various pages with a book, an idea which will have more benefits to Wikisource than just improving printing and export. The other parts of my proposal include improving Extension:Collection's ease of use, improving exportation quality and possibly expanding the list of formats to which books and articles can be exported, adding easy formatting options to Extension:Collection, and various others.

I was hoping to get some feedback from the Wikisource community about these ideas. Do you think they're feasible (keeping in mind I'm certainly not planning to tackle all of these in a three-month period)? Are these changes you'd personally like to see? Are there other related improvements that you'd be interested in? Really, any advice/critique/comments/suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you! GorillaWarfare (talk) 13:31, 8 April 2013 (UTC)

Hi! That is great, Aubrey and me we are working on this grant. Maybe we could have a talk soon? I'll send you an email with more information.--Micru (talk) 18:21, 9 April 2013 (UTC)
I look forward to hearing from you. GorillaWarfare (talk) 19:29, 9 April 2013 (UTC)

As an update, I've started my actual proposal. Instead of focusing on Extension:Collection, I'm going to focus my proposal on Extension:BookManager. The problem with effectively printing an entire book is blocked by the need to organize a book's individual pages and chapters into a single unit, and I'm excited about the developments that solving this problem will allow: dependencies of bug 15071. I'm hoping to receive feedback on this, as it's an extension I'm really hoping to see deployed on Wikisource and Wikibooks. GorillaWarfare (talk) 02:12, 16 April 2013 (UTC)

Lost Collection extension issues[edit]

Here's a list of issues that would use help of people using the Collection extension and knowing if they're still valid. Same can be said of those on bugzilla, which at least are not lost. --Nemo 11:26, 12 April 2013 (UTC)


Copyright Issues by Language[edit]

I looked at Wikisource:Language policy and did not find any guidance on this question.

At English Wikisource we are in the process of approving a policy to allow translations with a requirement that requires a "scan supported original language work on the appropriate language wiki". It has been pointed out in this discussion that do to different copyright concerns, some works that are PD in English are not PD in the original language. Would here (oldwikisource) be an appropriate language wiki for works that are PD in the US but not in the country/language of origin? JeepdaySock (talk) 14:39, 17 April 2013 (UTC)

See here and older discussion. But I don't think it's a good idea anymore, because it might lead to competition with the other WS-language-domains etc. --D.H (talk) 15:17, 17 April 2013 (UTC)

I disagree, the first link D.H. provides is to long standing policy; such works do and should exist here. For example, the pre-1923 works of Hermann Hesse won't be PD in Germany and therefore not eligible for posting on de.ws until 2032. They are PD in the US, this would include the German version of Siddhartha and many of his other works. I am currently (albeit very slowly) working on a collection of his poetry here.--Doug.(talk contribs) 20:09, 26 April 2013 (UTC)

Implementing Easier and More Efficient Metadata Tags on Wikisource[edit]

Disclosure: I am contracted by Creative Commons LRMI Project.

I would like to propose adopting the use of a by-default-disabled Mediawiki metadata feature that would greatly improve the organization and search engine visibility of the content of Wikisource. These metadata tags are part of Schema.org which was developed by Google, Bing, Yahoo, and Yandex, and can be viewed here. The benefit of these tags is that when used within educational content such as on Wikisource, the information contained on the page is made into a way that is easily intelligible to machines by changing just one line with the Mediawiki configuration. An example of MediaWiki using Schema can be seen by using Google's testing tool. These metatags were originally developed by LRMI but their recent adoption of Schema.org is a huge milestone that has great potential to improve the efficiency of the way we are able to search educational resources and content on places like Wikisource. Maximilian.Klein.LRMI (talk) 22:21, 18 April 2013 (UTC)

Request for comment on inactive administrators[edit]

(Please consider translating this message for the benefit of your fellow Wikimedians. Please also consider translating the proposal.)

Read this message in English / Lleer esti mensaxe n'asturianu / বাংলায় এই বার্তাটি পড়ুন / Llegiu aquest missatge en català / Læs denne besked på dansk / Lies diese Nachricht auf Deutsch / Leś cal mesag' chè in Emiliàn / Leer este mensaje en español / Lue tämä viesti suomeksi / Lire ce message en français / Ler esta mensaxe en galego / हिन्दी / Pročitajte ovu poruku na hrvatskom / Baca pesan ini dalam Bahasa Indonesia / Leggi questo messaggio in italiano / ಈ ಸಂದೇಶವನ್ನು ಕನ್ನಡದಲ್ಲಿ ಓದಿ / Aqra dan il-messaġġ bil-Malti / norsk (bokmål) / Lees dit bericht in het Nederlands / Przeczytaj tę wiadomość po polsku / Citiți acest mesaj în română / Прочитать это сообщение на русском / Farriintaan ku aqri Af-Soomaali / Pročitaj ovu poruku na srpskom (Прочитај ову поруку на српском) / อ่านข้อความนี้ในภาษาไทย / Прочитати це повідомлення українською мовою / Đọc thông báo bằng tiếng Việt / 使用中文阅读本信息。

Hello!

There is a new request for comment on Meta-Wiki concerning the removal of administrative rights from long-term inactive Wikimedians. Generally, this proposal from stewards would apply to wikis without an administrators' review process.

We are also compiling a list of projects with procedures for removing inactive administrators on the talk page of the request for comment. Feel free to add your project(s) to the list if you have a policy on administrator inactivity.

All input is appreciated. The discussion may close as soon as 21 May 2013 (2013-05-21), but this will be extended if needed.

Thanks, Billinghurst (thanks to all the translators!) 05:29, 24 April 2013 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery (Wrong page? You can fix it.)

Wikisource vision development: News April 2013[edit]

Wikisource-logo-fr.svg

I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.

Dear Wikisourcerors, it has been almost a month since we have started with the Elaborate Wikisource strategic vision grant and we would like to share some news with you:

And that's it for now! During the month of May, we (Aubrey and Micru) would like to organize at least one Skype or Google Hangout meeting for the users of each one of the 10 biggest wikisources plus another one or two for the other languages (depending on interest). We want to know your opinion on what Wikisource should become in the next years.

Thanks! --Micru and Aubrey 01:01, 27 April 2013 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Correct it here.)

[en] Change to wiki account system and account renaming[edit]

Some accounts will soon be renamed due to a technical change that the developer team at Wikimedia are making. More details on Meta.

(Distributed via global message delivery 04:18, 30 April 2013 (UTC). Wrong page? Correct it here.)

[en] Change to section edit links[edit]

The default position of the "edit" link in page section headers is going to change soon. The "edit" link will be positioned adjacent to the page header text rather than floating opposite it.

Section edit links will be to the immediate right of section titles, instead of on the far right. If you're an editor of one of the wikis which already implemented this change, nothing will substantially change for you; however, scripts and gadgets depending on the previous implementation of section edit links will have to be adjusted to continue working; however, nothing else should break even if they are not updated in time.

Detailed information and a timeline is available on meta.

Ideas to do this all the way to 2009 at least. It is often difficult to track which of several potential section edit links on the far right is associated with the correct section, and many readers and anonymous or new editors may even be failing to notice section edit links at all, since they read section titles, which are far away from the links.

(Distributed via global message delivery 19:07, 30 April 2013 (UTC). Wrong page? Correct it here.)

Tech newsletter: Subscribe to receive the next editions[edit]

Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by Global message deliveryContributeTranslateGet helpGive feedbackUnsubscribe • 21:21, 20 May 2013 (UTC)
Important note: This is the first edition of the Tech News weekly summaries, which help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians.

If you want to continue to receive the next issues every week, please subscribe to the newsletter. You can subscribe your personal talk page and a community page like this one. The newsletter can be translated into your language.

You can also become a tech ambassador, help us write the next newsletter and tell us what to improve. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. guillom 21:21, 20 May 2013 (UTC)
I've added our scriptorium to the targets list. --Zyephyrus (talk) 22:03, 20 May 2013 (UTC)

Tech news: 2013-22[edit]

Multilingual works: let's try[edit]

As I told into a previous post (Wikisource:Scriptorium#Multilanguage_works) I'm going to explore the possibility to upload here some volumes of a recent multilingual (Italian, French, German and some English) magazine, released under CC-2.0-BY-SA. I know that running rules state that this magazine should be uploaded into language-specific source subdomains (splitting it into subdomains and sharing work with Iw tools), but IMHO this could be a test case to do something different: to proofread multilingual works here, with a shared, inter-subdomain set of templates, modules, tools, conventions. Ideally, dufferent users of different subdomains should import here, and compare, best tools/practices of their subdomain, getting some interesting results:

  1. www.wikisource.org could be used as a discussion arena - in practice;
  2. best tools and templates would be compared and refined;
  3. usual users of this project could test and use best tools from major source subdomains.

Presently I uploaded Index:Labi 1996.djvu and Index:Labi 1997.djvu; the first one is already uploaded into it.source, and I'll fill pages with tl|Iwpages (while waiting for your comments). The second one is the real test. --Alex brollo (talk) 16:24, 30 July 2013 (UTC)

While waiting for community comments, I'll try to document what I'm doing here: User:Alex brollo/Tools, templates, modules for multilingual works. --Alex brollo (talk) 15:03, 31 July 2013 (UTC)

HTTPS for logged in users on Wednesday August 21st[edit]

As we outlined in our blog post on the future of HTTPS at the Wikimedia Foundation[0], the plan is to enable HTTPS by default for logged in users on August 21st, this Wednesday. We are still on target for that rollout date.

As this can have severe consequences for users where HTTPS is blocked by governments/network operators in addition to users who connect to Wikimedia sites via high latency connections, we've set up a page on MetaWiki describing what is going on and what it means for users and what they can do to report problems.

Please help watch out for any unintended consequences on August 21st and report any negative issues to us as soon as you can. Bugzilla:, IRC (#wikimedia-operations), or the (forthcoming) OTRS email are all fine.

—Greg Grossmeier, wikitech-ambassadors-l

HTTPS for users with an account[edit]

Greetings. Starting on August 21 (tomorrow), all users with an account will be using HTTPS to access Wikimedia sites. HTTPS brings better security and improves your privacy. More information is available at m:HTTPS.

If HTTPS causes problems for you, tell us on bugzilla, on IRC (in the #wikimedia-operations channel) or on meta. If you can't use the other methods, you can also send an e-mail to https@wikimedia.org.

Greg Grossmeier (via the Global message delivery system). 19:51, 20 August 2013 (UTC) (wrong page? You can fix it.)

Tech News: 2013-34;[edit]

20:14, 25 August 2013 (UTC)

What I wrote into wikisource-l[edit]

Please be patient if I repeat myself about multilingual works here; this is what I sent yesterday to wikisource-l.

« I ignored oldwikisource rules, and I uploaded there some Index pages from a multilingual magazine collecting articles in French, German, Italian with English summaries, one of them is https://wikisource.org/wiki/Index:Labi_1997.djvu

The try is to test oldwikisource features and issues and to to import there and test some useful templates (in Lua too) and editing scripts to expose there to wikisource community and possibily to begin to build a set of shared ideas.

My proposal is, to remove the prohibition to upload there multilingual works, even if their language is covered by a specific project; to encourage users to upload into oldwikisource any multilingual work; to create a specific interwiki code (mul:) to allow links to them; and to encourage any user to import into oldwikisource best ideas of their favourite project, and to discuss them after comparison with other functionally similar solutions.

Can be, that this would decrease a little bit the deep, growing difference in styles, scripts, templates among wikisource projects.

If wikisource community thinks that I've to remove my uploads since I'm going into a wrong way and disrupting something that needs to be saved, please tell me and I'll do.

 »

Please comment! --Alex brollo (talk) 10:11, 4 September 2013 (UTC)

Proglasъ[edit]

Could someone please check if this text should rather be moved to sk: or sl: instead? It obviously does not belong to Category:Old Church Slavonic (cf. it to Оч͠е нашь, for instance.) TIA. — Ivan Shmakov (dc) 18:03, 12 September 2013 (UTC)

I'm pretty sure, this text is neither in sk, nor in sl. It uses letters ę and ǫ which are common scientific transliterations of little (ѧ) and big yus (ѫ), so most probably it is Old Church Slavonic. It's just not written in Cyrillic script, that's all. Perhaps the original is Glagolitic. -- Shruggy (talk) 10:47, 13 September 2013 (UTC)
Yep, it's Old Church Slavonic; it's the romanization of Прогласъ. However, I don't think we need a romanization of it. —Angr 23:05, 6 November 2013 (UTC)

Announcement: English Wikisource to trial new CirrusSearch[edit]

For the community to note that from this week that English Wikisource will be set up with a pilot of the new search infrastructure CirrusSearch via the addition of mw:Extension:CirrusSearch. I volunteered the enWS community for the pilot and there are significant advantages for the Wikisources in overcoming existing shortcomings in the present indexing systems, and in testing and refining new search functionality prior to a full roll-out. More information about the project at CirrusSearch and the page contains the process by which the developers will be assessing in the pilot.

The implementation will be that we will have the new index turned on as a secondary backend so that the indexes and indexing will be running besides each other. It is my understanding that new data will be indexed very shortly after each save, unlike the current daily reindexing of new data. billinghurst sDrewth 06:46, 21 September 2013 (UTC)

[edit]

Tech News: 2013-40[edit]

20:18, 2 October 2013 (UTC)

Notifications[edit]

Notifications inform you of new activity that affects you -- and let you take quick action.

(This message is in English, please translate as needed)

Greetings!

Notifications will inform users about new activity that affects them on this wiki in a unified way: for example, this new tool will let you know when you have new talk page messages, edit reverts, mentions or links -- and is designed to augment (rather than replace) the watchlist. The Wikimedia Foundation's editor engagement team developed this tool (code-named 'Echo') earlier this year, to help users contribute more productively to MediaWiki projects.

We're now getting ready to bring Notifications to almost all other Wikimedia sites, and are aiming for a 22 October deployment, as outlined in this release plan. It is important that notifications is translated for all of the languages we serve.

There are three major points of translation needed to be either done or checked:

Please let us know if you have any questions, suggestions or comments about this new tool. For more information, visit this project hub and this help page. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 19:24, 4 October 2013 (UTC)

(via the Global message delivery system) (wrong page? You can fix it.)

Speak up about the trademark registration of the Community logo.[edit]

Tech News: 2013-42[edit]

09:36, 21 October 2013 (UTC)

Tech News: 2013-43[edit]

10:05, 28 October 2013 (UTC)

Wikidata to support language links in January 2014[edit]

English: Support for Wikisource language links on Wikidata is expected to be enabled on January 13, 2014. The coordination/proposal page for Wikisource integration is here (on Wikidata), with discussions on the talk page. The Anonymouse (talk) 05:28, 3 November 2013 (UTC)


español: Apoyo en Wikidata para enlaces interlingüísticos (interwikis) de Wikisource se espera estar habilitar en el 13 de enero de 2014. La página de coordinación/propuesta para integrar Wikisource está aquí (en Wikidata), con los discusiones en la página de discusión. The Anonymouse (talk) 05:28, 3 November 2013 (UTC)

Tech News: 2013-44[edit]

10:54, 4 November 2013 (UTC)

Introducting Beta Features[edit]

(Apologies for writing in English. Please translate if necessary)

We would like to let you know about Beta Features, a new program from the Wikimedia Foundation that lets you try out new features before they are released for everyone.

Think of it as a digital laboratory where community members can preview upcoming software and give feedback to help improve them. This special preference page lets designers and engineers experiment with new features on a broad scale, but in a way that's not disruptive.

Beta Features is now ready for testing on MediaWiki.org. It will also be released on Wikimedia Commons and MetaWiki this Thursday, 7 November. Based on test results, the plan is to release it on all wikis worldwide on 21 November, 2013.

Here are the first features you can test this week:

Would you like to try out Beta Features now? After you log in on MediaWiki.org, a small 'Beta' link will appear next to your 'Preferences'. Click on it to see features you can test, check the ones you want, then click 'Save'. Learn more on the Beta Features page.

After you've tested Beta Features, please let the developers know what you think on this discussion page -- or report any bugs here on Bugzilla. You're also welcome to join this IRC office hours chat on Friday, 8 November at 18:30 UTC.

Beta Features was developed by the Wikimedia Foundation's Design, Multimedia and VisualEditor teams. Along with other developers, they will be adding new features to this experimental program every few weeks. They are very grateful to all the community members who helped create this project — and look forward to many more productive collaborations in the future.

Enjoy, and don't forget to let developers know what you think! Keegan (WMF) (talk) 20:50, 5 November 2013 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery (wrong page? Correct it here), 20:50, 5 November 2013 (UTC)

Tech News: 2013-45[edit]

13:28, 11 November 2013 (UTC)

Bengali Wikisource[edit]

Nowadays I am working on my native Wikisource, Bengali. I have some issues...

  1. ) At http://toolserver.org/~phe/statistics.php , please add bengali wikipedia too..
  2. ) Are there any verifyability policies for wikisource (as like wikipedia)? I found lots of text, without reference in detail publication, so I cant judge, whether it is copyrighted or not. And also some known copyrighted materials found. Our Bengali Wikipedia/wikisource is too small. In wikisource one admin Bellayed Bhai.
  3. ) There are huge collection of Bengali scanned book(25000+ books) available at Digital Library of India and West Bengal Public Library Network, but is not easy for upload to commons. Are there any tools like https://tools.wmflabs.org/url2commons/ or anybody can develop for same?
  4. ) What is the status about mw:Extension:BookManager/mw:Extension:BookManagerv2? And when/what it will be implemented? Are there any road map? Even I cant fond nothing final report here m:Book management/Progress. May be Molly's blog down.
  5. )Bengali Computing Issues not mediawiki, No good OCR, but proposed here mw:Extension_talk:Proofread_Page#OCR_for_Bengali_wikisource.

Jayantanth (talk) 07:46, 12 November 2013 (UTC)

Tech News: 2013-46[edit]

09:05, 18 November 2013 (UTC)

Call for comments on draft trademark policy[edit]

Tech News: 2013-47[edit]

07:02, 25 November 2013 (UTC)

1.5M ancient manuscripts to go online[edit]

See here This could be useful. —Justin (koavf)TCM

Javanese script[edit]

Dear fellow Wikisource editors (Wikisourcians?),

Currently I'm editing a Javanese script Bible, the first digital version of it, so please forgive the flooding of the RC list. Bennylin (talk) 11:36, 4 December 2013 (UTC)

Tech News: 2013-49[edit]

16:12, 9 December 2013 (UTC)

Tech News: 2013-50[edit]

08:36, 16 December 2013 (UTC)

Process of uploading JPG[edit]

Hello dear, hope you are enjoying holidays. I want to ask that what is the process of uploading books containg JPG photos not text or PDF files. Further what is required number of pages to assign seprate domain name to any language wikisource. What is process of being an Admin? Ameen Akbar (talk) 20:35, 21 December 2013 (UTC)

Tech News: 2013-51[edit]

08:31, 23 December 2013 (UTC)

Reminder: Wikidata coming on January 14th[edit]

(This is a message to all Wikisource editions. Sorry for writing in English. I hope someone can translate this for me on the non-English editions.)

Hi!

I am Wikidata's product manager. If you are unfamilar with Wikidata please have a look at d:Q3107329 for example.

As you might already have heard Wikisource will be the fourth project supported by Wikidata after Wikipedia, Wikivoyage and Commons. We are currently planning this for January 14th. From this point on you will be able to handle the links between projects in Wikidata. This means you will only have to maintain them once instead of having them duplicated in every article. However fear not: the local interwiki links will still continue to work and they will overwrite what comes from Wikidata.

This is the first step of Wikidata supporting Wikisource. In a second step we will enable access to the actual data on Wikidata like biographical data about authors. I do not have a date for that yet however.

The planning is happening at d:Wikidata:Wikisource. We are still looking for some more ambassadors who can help during the process and make sure everything goes smoothly for you. Please add your name to the list at d:Wikidata:Wikisource if you're willing to do this.

If you have questions please also post them on the discussion page of d:Wikidata:Wikisource.


Cheers Lydia Pintscher (WMDE) 19:34, 29 December 2013 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-01[edit]

08:49, 30 December 2013 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-02[edit]

08:34, 6 January 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-03[edit]

09:33, 13 January 2014 (UTC)

Wikidata is here![edit]

Hey everyone :)

As previously announced we have just enabled interwiki links via Wikidata for Wikisource. This means from now on you no longer have to maintain the links in the Wikitext but can maintain them together with the links for Wikipedia, Commons and Wikivoyage on Wikidata. You will still be able to keep them locally though if you want to. Local interwiki links will overwrite the ones from Wikidata. You do not yet have access to the other data on Wikidata like the date of birth of an author. That will come in a future deployment. I will let you know when I have a date for it.

If you have any questions d:Wikidata:Wikisource is a good first step. It also has a list of people familiar with both Wikisource and Wikidata who are able to help you out. That is also a good place for any issues or bugs you encounter.

I'm really excited to welcome you all to Wikidata! I hope it will become a great help for Wikisource.

Cheers Lydia Pintscher (WMDE) via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:07, 14 January 2014 (UTC)


No, Wikidata is not here. As usual, oldwikisource, son of a lesser god, has been shamefully forgotten. Bug60069 has been opened about it. Candalua (talk) 09:41, 15 January 2014 (UTC)
I think part of the problem is that we don't have an ISO code as a prefix. We really ought to be renamed mul.wikisource.org (mul being the ISO code for "multilingual"). —Angr 16:13, 15 January 2014 (UTC)
The problems is not about the name of the project. The problem is more that there is no URL system in place to identify the languages used for sources.
Would you accept a prefix for every source with the relevant ISO code ? Thanks, GerardM (talk) 21:19, 20 January 2014 (UTC)
The name per se isn't the problem, but the fact that we don't have a prefix before "wikisource.org" the URL probably does contribute to our being forgotten about. I certainly also wouldn't object to having the codes for the languages we host here redirecting here, so that ga.wikisource.org/wiki/Séadna would lead straight to Séadna and nrn.wikisource.org/wiki/Fy_vor would lead straight to Fy vor. However, it would probably be necessary to allow the language codes to redirect to all pages here, even if they're not in the language specified (e.g. ga.wikisource.org/wiki/Fy_vor would still work), and this trick wouldn't work for the languages we host here that also have their own subdomains, e.g. the members of Category:Polski (which can't be hosted at pl-wikisource because they're still in copyright in Poland), so it will still be good to have mul.wikisource.org/wiki/Encyklopedja_Kościelna/Azja to take us to Encyklopedja Kościelna/Azja. —Angr 15:15, 21 January 2014 (UTC)

Request for comment on Commons: Should Wikimedia support MP4 video?[edit]

I apologize for this message being only in English. Please translate it if needed to help your community.

The Wikimedia Foundation's multimedia team seeks community guidance on a proposal to support the MP4 video format. This digital video standard is used widely around the world to record, edit and watch videos on mobile phones, desktop computers and home video devices. It is also known as H.264/MPEG-4 or AVC.

Supporting the MP4 format would make it much easier for our users to view and contribute video on Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects -- and video files could be offered in dual formats on our sites, so we could continue to support current open formats (WebM and Ogg Theora).

However, MP4 is a patent-encumbered format, and using a proprietary format would be a departure from our current practice of only supporting open formats on our sites -- even though the licenses appear to have acceptable legal terms, with only a small fee required.

We would appreciate your guidance on whether or not to support MP4. Our Request for Comments presents views both in favor and against MP4 support, based on opinions we’ve heard in our discussions with community and team members.

Please join this RfC -- and share your advice.

All users are welcome to participate, whether you are active on Commons, Wikipedia, other Wikimedia project -- or any site that uses content from our free media repository.

You are also welcome to join tomorrow's Office hours chat on IRC, this Thursday, January 16, at 19:00 UTC, if you would like to discuss this project with our team and other community members.

We look forward to a constructive discussion with you, so we can make a more informed decision together on this important topic. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 06:47, 16 January 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-04[edit]

10:21, 20 January 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-05[edit]

09:46, 27 January 2014 (UTC)

Access to data in Wikidata[edit]

Hey :)

(Sorry for writing in English. I hope someone can translate this for me where necessary.)

Not long ago we enabled language links via Wikidata for Wikisource. This seems to have gone rather smoothly. Thanks to everyone who helped! But as you know this was only the start. What is actually more interesting is access to the data in Wikidata like the date of birth of an author or the year a book was published. We have planned this for February 25th (unless any issues arise). You will then be able to use the data in your articles. I hope this will open up a lot of new opportunities for you.

If you have any questions d:Wikidata:Wikisource is a good place to find help.

Cheers Lydia Pintscher (WMDE) 13:51, 27 January 2014 (UTC)

I was just made aware that global message delivery also posted this here while you're still waiting for language links. Sorry for that. As soon as 2 of my developers are back I will bug them to find out how complicated it is to also support you here and how long it'll probably take. --Lydia Pintscher (WMDE) (talk) 15:48, 27 January 2014 (UTC)

Language categories on Commons[edit]

PLease see Wikisource:Language categories on Commons Lugusto (talk) 19:20, 31 January 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-06[edit]

08:30, 3 February 2014 (UTC)

Direct copy of a book on tl.wikibooks[edit]

Hi,

Doing routine maintenance on a smaller project revealed this book which seems to be in the public domain and not written by the user there. See w:El Filibusterismo. I'm not sure how to import pages like that to Wikisource, and am honestly not sure if it is in the public domain or not, but if you think that it is and import it then I can remove it from tl.wb afterwards.

Thanks, Ajraddatz (talk) 00:27, 7 February 2014 (UTC)

We're also not sure if it is just the text for the book, or also about interpreting the book. If you reply, please let us know at m:User talk:Ajraddatz or my talk page on Meta. PiRSquared17 (talk) 00:29, 7 February 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-07[edit]

09:30, 10 February 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-08[edit]

08:38, 17 February 2014 (UTC)

Universal Language Selector will be enabled by default again on this wiki by 21 February 2014[edit]

On January 21 2014 the MediaWiki extension Universal Language Selector (ULS) was disabled on this wiki. A new preference was added for logged-in users to turn on ULS. This was done to prevent slow loading of pages due to ULS webfonts, a behaviour that had been observed by the Wikimedia Technical Operations team on some wikis.

We are now ready to enable ULS again. The temporary preference to enable ULS will be removed. A new checkbox has been added to the Language Panel to enable/disable font delivery. This will be unchecked by default for this wiki, but can be selected at any time by the users to enable webfonts. This is an interim solution while we improve the feature of webfonts delivery.

You can read the announcement and the development plan for more information. Apologies for writing this message only in English. Thank you. Runa

Раздел на башкирском языке[edit]

Здравствуйте, уважаемые. Как вывести раздел на башкирском языке из Инкубатора? Какую процедуру и как надо выполнить? --Рөстәм Нурыев (talk) 15:59, 20 February 2014 (UTC)

Amendment to the Terms of Use[edit]

Renewed application on Commons[edit]

Hi Wikisorcerers,

If you wish to support my admin's request on Commons (to go on protecting djvu and pdf files), you can find it here. Thanks if you can help. --Zyephyrus (talk) 09:17, 22 February 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-09[edit]

10:18, 24 February 2014 (UTC)

You can now access the data on Wikidata[edit]

Hey folks,

We have just enabled data access to Wikidata for Wikisource (except old-wikisource). This means you can now access data like the date of birth of an author or the ISBN of a book. You can do this in two ways. The first one is a parser function. You can use it like {{#property:capital}} or {{#property:P36}}. The second one is Lua. The documentation for that is at mw:Extension:WikibaseClient/Lua

If you have any questions you will find help at d:Wikidata:Wikisource and its talk page.

I hope you'll use this to do some kick-ass things on Wikisource ;-)


Cheers Lydia Pintscher 19:54, 25 February 2014 (UTC)


Lydia Pintscher, here on oldwikisource we are still waiting for Wikidata Phase 1. Any news about it? Are there any plans to support oldwikisource some day or the other? What is exactly the problem here? Candalua (talk) 22:24, 25 February 2014 (UTC)
Has anyone heard any news yet ? Cdlt, VIGNERON (talk) 07:28, 10 March 2014 (UTC)

Call for project ideas: funding is available for community experiments[edit]

IEG key blue.png

I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.

Do you have an idea for a project that could improve your community? Individual Engagement Grants from the Wikimedia Foundation help support individuals and small teams to organize experiments for 6 months. You can get funding to try out your idea for online community organizing, outreach, tool-building, or research to help make Wikisource better. In March, we’re looking for new project proposals.

Examples of past Individual Engagement Grant projects:

Proposals are due by 31 March 2014. There are a number of ways to get involved!

Hope to have your participation,

--Siko Bouterse, Head of Individual Engagement Grants, Wikimedia Foundation 19:44, 28 February 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-10[edit]

09:30, 3 March 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-11[edit]

09:10, 10 March 2014 (UTC)

Proposed optional changes to Terms of Use amendment[edit]

Hello all, in response to some community comments in the discussion on the amendment to the Terms of Use on undisclosed paid editing, we have prepared two optional changes. Please read about these optional changes on Meta wiki and share your comments. If you can (and this is a non english project), please translate this announcement. Thanks! Slaporte (WMF) 21:56, 13 March 2014 (UTC)

Wymysorys (wym) language[edit]

In plwikisource we have few texts (books) that are in Wymysorys (Vilamovian; ISO 639-3 code: wym) language (partially bilingual: Wymysorys-Polish) which in my opinion should belong to multilingual wikisource. What do I need to do to add support for this new language to multilingual wikisource? Ankry (talk) 22:33, 13 March 2014 (UTC)

You would probably need a Main Page and a language category for wym (plus list the main page on {{languages}}). That way there will be somewhere to put the texts. After that, ask an admin to import the texts. - AdamBMorgan (talk) 23:43, 13 March 2014 (UTC)
Thanks. Ankry (talk) 22:24, 14 March 2014 (UTC)

Bot flag request for AkBot[edit]

I request a bot flag for my bot

  • Operator: Ankry
  • Purpose: Make massive fixes, mainly template & category fixes after import.
  • Script used: Python, pywikipedia.
  • Already has the bot flag on: plwikisource, plwiki and commons.

Ankry (talk) 22:25, 14 March 2014 (UTC)

Hello, Ankry, could you give more precisions about (for instance):
1. What will be these fixes,
2. Scope (namespace, limitations, and which languages),
3. Automated or semi-automated
4. Other indications if necessary
Thanks and regards, --Zyephyrus (talk) 18:10, 17 March 2014 (UTC)
Ad. 1: That are mainly template translations after migration, namespace renaming, possibly category move, file renaming without leaving a redirect
Ad. 2: Generally all namespaces, but mainly main and Page; at the moment wym, maybe later also pl language
Ad. 3: Only semi-automated (under my supervision)
Ad. 4: I intend to use the bot as a helper, to simplify changes that may by done (semi-)autoamtically faster and with avoidance of typos and omissions.
Example changes are here. If you wish I can do the changes further without the bot flag. However, possibility to avoid captcha would be nice. Regards, Ankry (talk) 19:51, 17 March 2014 (UTC)
Symbol support vote.svg Support --Zyephyrus (talk) 21:26, 18 March 2014 (UTC)

Wikisource_vision_development/Internet_Archive[edit]

Just to let you know that I opened a "stub" page about Internet Archive - Wikisource relationships, to share a recent, ongoing experience of it.wikisource. Alex brollo (talk) 14:11, 16 March 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-12[edit]

07:14, 17 March 2014 (UTC)

Interlanguage links[edit]

Hi all. I would like for la:Carmina Burana on the Latin wikisource to link to Swaz hie gat umbe. Does anyone know what prefix I have to use? Thanks. Abjiklam (talk) 20:00, 23 March 2014 (UTC)

oldwikisource:Swaz hie gat umbe, -jkb- (talk) 00:18, 24 March 2014 (UTC)
Thank you! Abjiklam (talk) 03:46, 24 March 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-13[edit]

18:56, 24 March 2014 (UTC)

Picture of the year 2013[edit]




The glass bulb of the lightbulb has been opened, causing the inert gas inside to escape. When turned on, the tungsten filament burns with a flame, due to oxygen entering the light bulb. The light bulb was screwed into a socket, which was replaced with the lamp base using image processing.




Other results here: all of them are wonderful! --Zyephyrus (talk) 01:22, 27 March 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-14[edit]

09:20, 31 March 2014 (UTC)

Changes to the default site typography coming soon[edit]

This week, the typography on Wikimedia sites will be updated for all readers and editors who use the default "Vector" skin. This change will involve new serif fonts for some headings, small tweaks to body content fonts, text size, text color, and spacing between elements. The schedule is:

  • April 1st: non-Wikipedia projects will see this change live
  • April 3rd: Wikipedias will see this change live

This change is very similar to the "Typography Update" Beta Feature that has been available on Wikimedia projects since November 2013. After several rounds of testing and with feedback from the community, this Beta Feature will be disabled and successful aspects enabled in the default site appearance. Users who are logged in may still choose to use another skin, or alter their personal CSS, if they prefer a different appearance. Local common CSS styles will also apply as normal, for issues with local styles and scripts that impact all users.

For more information:

-- Steven Walling (Product Manager) on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation's User Experience Design team

Tech News: 2014-15[edit]

08:00, 7 April 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-16[edit]

07:18, 14 April 2014 (UTC)

Temporary bot+sysop flag request[edit]

be.wikisource and gu.wikisource have been created back in 2012, but this wiki still hosts theirs incubator pages: Category:Беларуская (1,5k pages) and Category:Gujarati (1k pages). In order to help cleaning things out, I'm asking for temporary bot+sysop flags on User:Delete.Bot, an alternate account that I've managed to do mass deletions and restorations on pt.wikisource in the past years. Any objections? Lugusto (talk) 23:48, 19 April 2014 (UTC)

Tech News: 2014-17[edit]

08:34, 21 April 2014 (UTC)