From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Tech News: 2018-02[edit]

16:19, 8 January 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-3[edit]

18:45, 15 January 2018 (UTC)

Restore link[edit]

The link in De Tobackschmöker has to be restored. I had to remove it as else I couldn't save a correction. - 19:01, 22 January 2018 (UTC)

Transwiki some texts from oc-wiki?[edit]

I have a question about some medieval text that is currently in article namespace on Occitan Wikipedia, and whether transwikifying it to Wikisource would be a better idea. I was under the impression that most wikipedias prefer references or short excerpts from primary sources, and not whole texts, plus, placing it here seems like the right venue.

I'm improving the article Querimonia on en-wiki, and among the Wikidata language links is one in Occitan. At oc:w:Querimònia, section #Tèxt dera Querimònia has nine links to what appear to be complete source texts written in Occitan, that are all located in oc-wiki article namespace. Follow footnote 2 on that page to see where the article copied the text from. (Tried to add it here, but was not able to.)

I'd prefer to see these texts transwikified here, instead; and then I could refer to them more easily from en-wiki (and the other wikis I work on), as well as using the en-wiki templates that provide a linked Wikisource box with a logo, and so on.

Can someone advise? Thanks, Mathglot (talk) 22:19, 22 January 2018 (UTC)

@Mathglot: This is the perfect spot for this. Wikipedias are encyclopedias, so they aren't made to host original source documents but Wikisource is. Additionally, we have the Index namespace and the proper plugins for transcribing scans. —Justin (koavf)TCM 06:13, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
Thanks, Koavf, that's pretty much what I figured. I guess my real question, is, now what? Do you (or someone else here) want to take this on? Or, do you want me to do something?
As far as contact with them is concerned, I don't know anybody at oc-wiki. There are some native speakers of Occitan, but all of them speak something else, usually French or Catalan, and maybe speak some English or Spanish as well, and if any translation is needed between us and them, I can manage it. Please ping me if you need anything further. Mathglot (talk) 08:15, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
@Mathglot: A local importer here should import the page(s) but I am not one. Our importers @Jusjih, Ooswesthoesbes: can you help? —Justin (koavf)TCM 08:19, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
Yes check.svg Done. The pages can be found through Querimònia. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 09:42, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
Wow, that was fast! Thanks, all. Mathglot (talk) 10:17, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
@Mathglot: That's the wiki way. —Justin (koavf)TCM 06:02, 24 January 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-04[edit]

23:56, 22 January 2018 (UTC)

Getting User Help[edit]

The means to get help in Wikisource or Wikimedia seems very byzantine. In other words, not very helpful as the admins are not readily accessible.

The admins at Wikipedia butchered a page that was in place for a long time, removing much of the text while stating that it should be located in Wikisource. I tried to create a new page here but was denied:

"This action has been automatically identified as harmful, and therefore disallowed. If you believe your action was constructive, please inform an administrator of what you were trying to do. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is: Antispam"

The problem is that there is no easy way to "inform and administrator". Perhaps the message should contain a link to a form or email to make the admins aware of problems. unsigned comment by Awc2008 (talk) .

@Awc2008: I agree that the process can be very arcane and frustrating. How can I help? —Justin (koavf)TCM 00:05, 25 January 2018 (UTC)

@koavf: I created the page "The Morals of Chess" which is an essay Benjamin Franklin wrote in 1786. Can you remove the 'spam' designation so that I can actually put some content in it? Thanks! unsigned comment by Awc2008 (talk) .

@Awc2008: It looks like you created it here at the Multilingual Wikisource (a.k.a. Old Wikisource): The Morals of Chess. Since the English language has its own Wikisource, it should be posted there: s:en:The Morals of Chess. Note that this Wikisource is only for 1.) texts which are themselves multilingual and 2.) texts for languages which are so small that they will probably never have their own Wikisource (or that could someday graduate from here but have small bodies of texts for now). I am making a request there to have it imported. —Justin (koavf)TCM 22:46, 28 January 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-05[edit]

17:06, 29 January 2018 (UTC)

Request for comment[edit]

I would like to draw attention to this incident: User talk:Billinghurst#Re:Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey. Maplestrip (talk) 08:39, 19 March 2018 (UTC)

Proposal for keyboard shortcuts[edit]

I prefer to edit with the keyboard, so shortcuts like "Alt+Shift+E" to edit are valuable. In the Page: namespace, we don't have shortcuts for navigating pages. I'd like to propose that we 1.) add these and 2.) that they should be "Alf+Shift+→", "Alf+Shift+←", and "Alf+Shift+↑", for navigating forwards one page, backwards one page, and to the index. I want to get community feedback and consensus before going to phab:. Thoughts? —Justin (koavf)TCM 19:09, 4 February 2018 (UTC)

@Koavf: great idea! I 1000% agree with you. @Tpt: what do you think? Cdlt, VIGNERON (talk) 06:39, 5 April 2018 (UTC)
@VIGNERON: Related: phab:T186478. —Justin (koavf)TCM 08:47, 5 April 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-06[edit]

20:51, 5 February 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-07[edit]

21:59, 12 February 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-08[edit]

22:55, 19 February 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-09[edit]

19:52, 26 February 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-10[edit]

17:12, 5 March 2018 (UTC)

Public Domain 2018 Russia[edit]

Tech News: 2018-11[edit]

19:43, 12 March 2018 (UTC)

Approval of Wikisource Basque[edit]

Wikisource Basque was approved for its own subdomain on 12 March. Congratulations!

  • Please continue to contribute to the Basque resources here until the project is exported.
  • The phabricator task is phabricator:T189465. Please note that some data are still needed to complete the task; project contributors should check there.

For LangCom: StevenJ81 (talk) 15:27, 13 March 2018 (UTC)

That is great news! :) --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 09:43, 14 March 2018 (UTC)
StevenJ81: it's indeed a great thing that the LangCom is finally approving some new projects. If you guys are willing to examine some long-standing request, I would like to remind you about m:Requests for new languages/Wikisource Neapolitan, which has a HUGE corpus of texts. --Candalua (talk) 14:31, 23 April 2018 (UTC)
@Candalua: I'll take a look at it shortly. (I've had to be away for a few days, so I'll need a few more just to catch up.) I will mention to all WS communities that you can ping me if you think you are ready to have your project approved. But be sure you have the translation and activity requirements met, too. StevenJ81 (talk) 16:14, 23 April 2018 (UTC)
StevenJ81, since you were kind enough to immediately reply, I will add a few clarifications. Nap.source is an effort lead primarily by User:C.R., with the participation of other Italian users including me, which has been going on for the last 3-4 years. Recently the project slowed down, primarily because users felt that the LangCom was not interested in approving the request, so they got discouraged. However, if the LangCom has now resumed its activities and is willing to examine our work, I'm sure that we can also resume activity on the project. I would like anyway to point out, that a Wikisource does not necessarily need a continuous activity to be of some value (once a book is transcribed and proofread, work is finished: it doesn't required to be kept up-to-date like a Wikipedia article). Thank you. Candalua (talk) 18:21, 23 April 2018 (UTC)
@Candalua: I'm responsible for keeping LangCom on track now, so I assure you we will be looking at things. Frankly, it's harder for me to parse what might or might not be ready in WS than in the other projects, because (a) I'm a sysop at Incubator, so keep track of what happens there, and (b) there's one page at Beta WV where the 50-odd tests are summarized. But I am always glad to have someone contact me to tell me they are ready.
In your case, I'll have a look at your project in the next few days. If the only thing missing is activity, but there was a long period where activity was fine, I'll take it to LangCom anyway, provided that some activity resumes.
It is true that continuous activity is perhaps somewhat less important on a WS project than on a WP project. But it's still the case that once a project is out there and independent, it's important to continue to have experienced people on hand watching things. So while I can probably get LangCom to understand a gap in activity (for the reasons you said), I'd still far prefer to be able to say that "the test community is committed to staying active through and after the approval." StevenJ81 (talk) 18:34, 23 April 2018 (UTC)
I believe the same goes for the Georgian Wikisource. @Steven: If you want, I can try to keep track of test activity here, as I watch this wiki for vandalism and deletions anyway. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 09:10, 24 April 2018 (UTC)
Ooswesthoesbes, that would be very helpful. Thanks.
Candalua, I haven't really had a chance to sit down and look yet. But the Meta request page brought my attention to eleven pages in Neapolitan on Italian Wikisource. What should happen with those? StevenJ81 (talk) 14:21, 24 April 2018 (UTC)
Judging from the category name (testi), I think it would be best to move them to the subdomain once created. Of course, it should be discussed at the Italian Wikisource. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 14:34, 24 April 2018 (UTC)
StevenJ81: the it.source community has already decided to transfer those pages to nap.source once it's approved. Candalua (talk) 17:06, 24 April 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-12[edit]

15:03, 19 March 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-13[edit]

20:03, 26 March 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-14[edit]

19:28, 2 April 2018 (UTC)

Delete Index:H.M. Diana.djvu[edit]

@‎KäthesBücher:, Die Göttinnen oder die drei Romane der Herzogin von Assy is a German book and should be kept in German Wikisource, instead of here. @Ankry, VIGNERON:, please move this index page and all its pages to German Wikisource and delete them here. Thanks. -- Bodhisattwa (talk) 05:51, 5 April 2018 (UTC)

@Bodhisattwa: strangely no. Heinrich Mann died in 1950 so it's not PD in Germany and can't be on (the book was published in 1903 so it's PD-US and kind of ok for the multilingual wikisource, see the warning on File:H.M. Diana.djvu). Meanwhile we should have some kind of system to tell when the transfer will be possible, maybe a category to transfer on on 2021. VIGNERON (talk) 06:33, 5 April 2018 (UTC)
Oh! Ok. -- Bodhisattwa (talk) 06:58, 5 April 2018 (UTC)
The category idea sounds very good to me! :) Alternatively, we could just make one project page. That will be easier to maintain and require us to create less categories, which will eventually become deprecated anyway. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 09:46, 5 April 2018 (UTC)
Symbol support vote.svg Support And I think we can implement structure similar to structure of this Commons category. We have also a similar tree in plwikisource. Ankry (talk) 12:36, 5 April 2018 (UTC)
I have created a tree starting from Category:To be moved to own language subdomain according to year. Feel free to add files/categories to it. Ankry (talk) 22:57, 2 July 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-15[edit]

18:09, 9 April 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-16[edit]

15:20, 16 April 2018 (UTC)

Basque Wikisource created[edit]

Hello. eu: was created and I imported all pages from Category:Euskara and subcategories to there. These pages can now be deleted here, cf. User:MF-Warburg#Basque. Note that there are also still pages from other exported languages listed on my userpage which need to be deleted here. --MF-Warburg (talk) 20:18, 22 April 2018 (UTC)

  • Great news! Seems very inspirating! Congratulations to all the users of Basque Wikisource, and especially to those who worked hard on setting and developing it! --Nigmont (talk) 22:07, 22 April 2018 (UTC)

Great news! I'll dive into the deletions soon. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 11:28, 23 April 2018 (UTC)

@Ooswesthoesbes, Ankry, VIGNERON, Zyephyrus:: I made a gadget called FastDelete, which can be used by admins to speedily delete many pages. If you activate it from your preferences, in every category there will be a red [X] next to every page which deletes it without confirmation, and a "DELETE ALL PAGES!" link which deletes all pages marked with [X]. Obviously, it's to be used with caution! :D Candalua (talk) 15:44, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
Obviously! Thanks, Candalua :) --Zyephyrus (talk) 18:58, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
That would be very helpful for pages. Thank you! However, use them with caution for main namespace articles, as talk pages are usually forgotten with import. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 08:41, 28 April 2018 (UTC)
I just tried it out for the remaining Basque and Oriya pages. It works great! :) --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 08:51, 28 April 2018 (UTC)
Also, because it tends to clutter up Recent Changes, I propose that when it is necessary for test deletion, we temporarily upgrade the admin account to bot status, so RC remains easy to check. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 08:54, 28 April 2018 (UTC)
@Ooswesthoesbes, Ankry, VIGNERON, Zyephyrus: That would be useful. On it.source we have activated the "flood flag", so sysops can assign themselves a kind of bot flag and remove it when they're done. However I don't see this option here, so we probably have to ask for it on phabricator to get it (example of the request). Otherwise I think only bureaucrats can assign the bot flag, but they cannot remove it, you need to request it on meta every time. If you guys support it, I can post the request. Candalua (talk) 10:16, 28 April 2018 (UTC)
No objections from me. Ankry (talk) 10:18, 28 April 2018 (UTC)
Good to know that. I didn't know one can't remove a bot flag. In that case, the flood flag would be a very good option. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 10:19, 28 April 2018 (UTC)
Support obviously (I thought we already had it) VIGNERON (talk) 10:23, 28 April 2018 (UTC)
Requested: phab:T193350. Candalua (talk) 18:07, 29 April 2018 (UTC)
Very good! :) I kept track of it while I get phabricator mails. The way it will be deployed makes perfect sense to me. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 11:59, 30 April 2018 (UTC)
It seems the config change is already applied. Unsure, however, if the flag should not be also self-revokable? But, maybe assigning this right as temporary is enough. We should just remember of that and use with care. Ankry (talk) 13:49, 30 April 2018 (UTC)

It's live! To use it, go to and check "pseudobot". You can specifiy an expiration period (defined by MediaWiki:Userrights-expiry-options, change it if you want more options). --Candalua (talk) 13:56, 30 April 2018 (UTC)

Ankry: the pages states "A * indicates that you cannot remove the group once you have added it, or vice versa." and shows a * on pseudobot. However this is plainly wrong, as I just assigned myself the flag and removed it successfully. :D --Candalua (talk) 14:00, 30 April 2018 (UTC)
Just noticed the fallback language for Limburgish interface, which is Dutch, uses "bot" for both "bot" and "pseudobot". Got to fix that first on translatewiki before I use the function. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 14:03, 30 April 2018 (UTC)
@Candalua: Yes, just noticed that a user that already has the peudobot right has also the right to drop it. BTW, bureaucrats can revoke the bot flag. Ankry (talk) 14:05, 30 April 2018 (UTC)
Yes, Meta confirms that too. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 14:48, 30 April 2018 (UTC)
A couple of things. (1) I recommend changing "pseudobot" to "flood" if you can, even if that means editing a local MediaWiki-space page. Nobody really knows what a "pseudobot" is. (2) I suspect if you look at [[Special:UserRights/yourusername]] while you have the flag, that "*" will disappear. StevenJ81 (talk) 15:33, 30 April 2018 (UTC)
Not sure if we should change the name, given the multilingual nature of this site: many people use different interface languages, so to be consistent we should change it in each language. Anyway, just the five sysops need to know its meaning, and now they do :D. (For reference, the related messages are MediaWiki:Grouppage-flood, MediaWiki:Group-flood, MediaWiki:Group-flood-member). About the *, I suspect that probably they missed something in the configuration, because on it.source I do not see the *. Doesn't matter, as long as it works. --Candalua (talk) 17:08, 30 April 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-17[edit]

18:16, 23 April 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-18[edit]

16:18, 30 April 2018 (UTC)

Approval of Piedmontese Wikisource[edit]

Piedmontese Wikisource has been proposed for approval. See m:Talk:Language committee#Notification about proposed approval of Piedmontese Wikisource. StevenJ81 (talk) 15:48, 1 May 2018 (UTC)

Great news, thank you StevenJ81. Cdlt, VIGNERON (talk) 07:31, 9 May 2018 (UTC)
This project is approved. We will put in a phabricator task shortly. Keep working here until you hear that the new wiki has been created. StevenJ81 (talk) 13:50, 10 May 2018 (UTC)
phabricator:T194879. StevenJ81 (talk) 14:06, 17 May 2018 (UTC)


Birgit Müller (WMDE) 14:53, 7 May 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-19[edit]

16:27, 7 May 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-20[edit]

22:22, 14 May 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-21[edit]

17:33, 21 May 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-22[edit]

12:40, 29 May 2018 (UTC)

Introducing Toolhub[edit]

I apologize if this message is not in your preferred language. Please help us translate this message.

What does your participation on the Wikimedia projects look like? Do you edit articles? Upload files? Patrol vandalism? Translate articles? Translate interface messages? Do you organize people, online or offline? Do you train new editors, or new trainers? Do you write code?

There are many different ways to contribute to Wikimedia – more than you would expect just from reading Wikipedia articles. Over the past several years, volunteers have developed technical tools that help Wikimedians improve content, patrol vandalism, and perform many other tasks. They make it possible to do what the wiki software alone cannot accomplish. Without these tools, many of our projects would slow down to a crawl.

I am very happy to announce a new project called Toolhub which seeks to create a searchable index of these tools in all languages. We are building this tool catalog based on what our communities need. If you would like to help, please take a look at m:Toolhub and review the question at the top of the page. You can also leave feedback in any language on the talkpage. You can also email me private feedback. Harej (WMF) (talk) 01:16, 3 June 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-23[edit]

21:54, 4 June 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-24[edit]

21:55, 11 June 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-25[edit]

21:47, 18 June 2018 (UTC)

File transfer feature[edit]

This announcement seems interesting to me: file transfers commons <--> sourceswiki are pain sometimes and they are not rare (however, it seems to me that only transfer to Commons is supperte now). Files from Commons are transferred here when they are found to be not PD in the source country, and after files become PD in source country they transferred in the opposite direction. To enable this feature for testing a community decission is required. So I'm pinging admins and recently active users for comments (it you have an opinion about this). Ankry (talk) 20:28, 25 June 2018 (UTC)

@BRUTE, Candalua, Doug, -jkb-, Jusjih:@LadyInGrey, Mahagaja, Ooswesthoesbes, Satdeep Gill, Tpt:@VIGNERON, Yann, Zyephyrus: @Nigmont, Giakosh, Ninjastrikers, Kumincir, Salicyna:@Lionslayer, Phyoekyaw, Rosacentifolia, Mahagaja, Shypoetess:@Reptilien.19831209BE1, Jimregan, Juan renombrado:

  • Symbol support vote.svg Support I actually have a potential candidate for a commons->sourceswiki move, so I'd be willing to try it out. -- Jimregan (talk) 20:49, 25 June 2018 (UTC)
@Jimregan: I am afraid (looking and the tool documentation) that it supports only transfers to Commons at the moment :( However, this is not clearly stated. Ankry (talk) 06:41, 27 June 2018 (UTC)
@Ankry: I support it either way. They usually limit the scope when they launch new things, so hopefully the other direction will come along sooner or later. -- Jimregan (talk) 10:40, 27 June 2018 (UTC)
  • Symbol support vote.svg Support, it seems to be a very useful and helpful feature for Wikisource, so I also wish it to be implemented and tested here. --Nigmont (talk) 21:04, 25 June 2018 (UTC)
  • I have at present no specially idea where to use it but I think it will be worthy to test this feature. so I will support implementing it here. -jkb- (talk) 21:59, 25 June 2018 (UTC)
  • Symbol support vote.svg Support Sure, could be useful. Yann (talk) 22:06, 25 June 2018 (UTC)
  • Symbol support vote.svg Support and many thanks! --Zyephyrus (talk) 07:59, 26 June 2018 (UTC)
  • Symbol support vote.svg Support Tpt (talk) 08:05, 26 June 2018 (UTC)
  • Symbol support vote.svg Support --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 08:17, 26 June 2018 (UTC)
  • Symbol support vote.svg Support --Candalua (talk) 08:31, 26 June 2018 (UTC)
  • Symbol support vote.svg Support ပီကေ (PK) (talk) 09:57, 26 June 2018 (UTC)Phyoekyaw
  • Symbol support vote.svg Support Lionslayer (talk) 11:36, 26 June 2018 (UTC)
  • Symbol support vote.svg Support Useful. Ninjastrikers (talk) 13:07, 26 June 2018 (UTC)
  • Symbol support vote.svg Support Salicyna (talk) 15:06, 26 June 2018 (UTC)

The feature should be active tomorrow, see phab:T198594. Ankry (talk) 17:17, 10 July 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-26[edit]

23:10, 25 June 2018 (UTC)

Page colouring in index not working for some pages[edit]

As it was noticed yesterday on some wikisources, some pages are no longer coloured in index. Eg. Page:'E Lluce-luce.djvu/165 in Index:'E Lluce-luce.djvu. This problem affects mainly older pages (not edited since 2015), bot also some newer ones and according to phab:T198470 it is a delayed effect of last year changes in proofreadpage. Billinghurst and I think that the best way to get rid of this problem is to null-edit ALL pages in the Page: namespace (purging them is not enough).

If you agree and wish me to perform this task, please (@Zyephyrus, Ooswesthoesbes, -jkb-:) set the bot flag for User:AkBot as the required null-edits change the page internal structure and are non-null actually. Without the flag this job would flood RecentChanges. (pywikibot's does not set the flag automatically, but I am aware of this.)

Touching all pages will update their structure to the newest one and, potentially, will allow us to avoid similar page structure-related problems in future.

As there is not many pages here, the job would take few hours at the highest speed. -- Ankry (talk) 07:31, 30 June 2018 (UTC)

Done, see, for the first time without any expiration, this can be done later. Thank you, -jkb- (talk) 08:32, 30 June 2018 (UTC)
Very good :) --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 14:08, 30 June 2018 (UTC)

Tidy to RemexHtml[edit]

m:User:Elitre (WMF) 14:38, 2 July 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-27[edit]

00:46, 3 July 2018 (UTC)

Requesting bot flag for User:Revibot[edit]

Revibot is a global bot for fixing double redirects. Since no bots seems to be fixing them, I would like to help automatically fix them - except I would like a bot flag to hide them from RecentChanges, and I can run it at a faster rate. If you want it running without flag, that's fine for me as well.

Without bot flag, I will be running them at 1 edit per minute, and with the bot flag, I will be running at 6 edits per minute. (Usual practice per global bot policy.) Thanks for the consideration!

— regards, Revi 17:35, 3 July 2018 (UTC)

Symbol support vote.svg Support. Ankry (talk) 17:15, 5 July 2018 (UTC)
Symbol support vote.svg Support --Candalua (talk) 10:05, 6 July 2018 (UTC)
@Zyephyrus, -jkb-, Ooswesthoesbes: any objections? Ankry (talk) 06:48, 26 July 2018 (UTC)
Not at all. -revi is a trusted user and the bot doesn't seem to be malfunctioning. As the request is nearly one month old, I granted the bot flag. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 07:51, 26 July 2018 (UTC)
Yes check.svg Done --Zyephyrus (talk) 09:35, 26 July 2018 (UTC)
too late for me :-) but OK, regards -jkb- (talk) 10:18, 26 July 2018 (UTC)

Need assistance in importing content[edit]

Hello, I hope this is the right place to ask for help. Recently I've uploaded this at Commons, which is a constitution of one of the states in Malaysia, written in Bahasa Melayu(ms). I am actually clueless how to import this to wikisource since ms does not have its own page. Please help? Many thanks in return. Froswo (talk) 08:33, 9 July 2018 (UTC)

What would be the reason to import it to here? --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 09:04, 9 July 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-28[edit]

23:10, 9 July 2018 (UTC)

Global preferences are available[edit]

19:20, 10 July 2018 (UTC)

File rename[edit]

@Ankry, ‎Zyephyrus, ‎Ooswesthoesbes: Please, rename File:Gesammelteromane09mann.djvu to File:H.M.-Novellen 1.djvu (for consistency with File:H.M.-Novellen 2.djvu). KäthesBücher (talk) 20:16, 14 July 2018 (UTC)

Yes check.svg Done Ankry (talk) 21:46, 14 July 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-29[edit]

16:01, 16 July 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-30[edit]

09:44, 24 July 2018 (UTC)

new gadget[edit]

Maybe some of you noticed that after an edit in the Page namespace, page colouring in the corresponding index tend to disappear (index purge fixes this}. The problem is tracked in phab:T199288. However, if somebody is especially troubled by it, User:Zdzislaw and me created a gadget that is workaround for the problem. You can enable this gadget in yuor preferences (Preferences -> Gadgets -> Interface tools -> Automatically purge an index page when page proofread status colors are missing). This workaround should be removed once T199288 is fixed. Ankry (talk) 06:58, 26 July 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-31[edit]

14:05, 30 July 2018 (UTC)

New user group for editing sitewide CSS / JS[edit]

My idea is that we need one or two admins / non admins at least in this group here, which starts now. Any suggestions? (As far as I know the admin rights are not nessesary for it; just users who know what it is.) -jkb- (talk) 20:31, 14 August 2018 (UTC)

I think this flag may be assigned to admins by 'crats just on request, when they need it per 'crats discretion (like in many other wikis). Do you wish to suggest some non-admin candidates? Or do you think we should assign it to some users in advance for the case when no `crat is active? Ankry (talk) 08:01, 16 August 2018 (UTC)
I agree, as this was something any admin could do prior to this - in my opinion - superfluous user group. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 08:30, 28 August 2018 (UTC)
@Ooswesthoesbes: I don't agree with that… The point of separating these rights into another group is so that there are fewer people able to edit JS and CSS files. By editing those, people could insert malicious scripts, off-site tools (which could violate user privacy), and so on. The entire idea is to make it so that fewer people have those rights, so if a hacker is able to take over an admin account, they can't do as much damage as they could if they were able to edit those JS/CSS pages. Also, out of the current 14 admins, only 5 have edited pages in the MediaWiki namespace within the last year, so the majority of admins have shown no need for the ability to edit those. If they should get the need to do it regularly, they can request interface admin rights, if they only need it for one-off things, they can request an edit by an interface administrator just like any other user. Jon Harald Søby (talk) 11:00, 28 August 2018 (UTC)
As far as I'm concerned, any admin who has edited MediaWiki pages regularly in the past should just be given this flag once requested. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 12:00, 28 August 2018 (UTC)

Enable translate extension?[edit]

Hi folks, I would like to suggest enabling the translate extension here on oldwikisource. It would make it much easier to translate pages in the Wikisource namespace, like policies and guidelines. It is already in use on many major Wikimedia projects, like Wikidata, Meta and Wikimedia Commons, and is a well-tested and stable piece of software that I think would have the potential to improve this project. What do you think? Jon Harald Søby (talk) 22:58, 5 August 2018 (UTC)

Symbol support vote.svg Support I think it may be a good idea. However, two problems: (1) we may have not many users able to manage translations and (2) some languages used here may be not supported by wiki software (eg. gbm on this page). Ankry (talk) 05:46, 6 August 2018 (UTC)
@Ankry: (1) It's not very difficult after a bit of practice, and for a small project like this the workload wouldn't be unbearable for even one or two people. (2) That should be adressed, but it is quite an easy fix. Do you know if there is a comprehensive list of languages used here somewhere? Jon Harald Søby (talk) 12:23, 6 August 2018 (UTC)
@Jon Harald Søby: I am afraid most users here edit accidentally only, so no chance for practice :( And I think most languages used here are languages without subdomain (eh. Khmer, Hindi, Mingrelian, Urdu). I am afraid it will be hard to find translators. I also think of possibility tu use this extension to translate some common templates ({{Header}}.{{Author}}, {{Disambig}}) as I encoutered needs for multilingual pages that use them. And also documentation for basic templates like eg. {{Rh}} or {{Gesperrt}}. Ankry (talk) 13:16, 6 August 2018 (UTC)
@Ankry: I was thinking more of the "translation admin" side, that's what can be a bit confusing at first. Translation itself is easy-peasy, anyone can do it with minimal prerequisites (the only thing being that you need to know basic wiki syntax, but that goes for pretty much anything around here). When there is a call for translation on page, it's very easy to get started – I myself have translated many pages that I wouldn't have thought to do otherwise just because it was possible (and easy!). And yes, the extension can indeed be used for those cases you mention! Jon Harald Søby (talk) 13:32, 6 August 2018 (UTC)
Neutral. I have no valid reason to oppose this, but I also believe it isn't going to be used that much. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 09:52, 6 August 2018 (UTC)
@Ooswesthoesbes: Aye, but that's not necessarily a problem. I'm thinking it would be useful for meta pages, the ones that tell users how to get started. And since this is sort of the Incubator for languages that don't have Wikisources yet, I believe it would be useful to have that information in more languages than just English. Jon Harald Søby (talk) 12:23, 6 August 2018 (UTC)
Support Altho I agree that in fact, there will be very little translating actually done, this is an ideal wiki for the extension. Good thinking, Jon. —Justin (koavf)TCM 07:30, 8 August 2018 (UTC)
Symbol support vote.svg Support --Zyephyrus (talk) 07:59, 8 August 2018 (UTC)
Symbol support vote.svg Support though I don't know whether it is needed right now, but in future seems to be useful. --Nigmont (talk) 00:16, 12 August 2018 (UTC)
Thanks folks! Since it has been a week since the suggestion and no objections, I've created a task and a patch to add the Translate extension here. :-) Jon Harald Søby (talk) 09:46, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
Very good! :) --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 11:24, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
And now it has been deployed. :-) For it to be used though, we need some translation administrators who can mark pages for translation (bureaucrats can assign that right). I'll fill out a request for it for myself on Wikisource:Administrators. :-) Jon Harald Søby (talk) 12:19, 13 August 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-32[edit]

19:39, 6 August 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-33[edit]

17:53, 13 August 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-34[edit]

16:46, 20 August 2018 (UTC)

Enable arbitrary Wikidata access for oldwikisource[edit]

Hi again, folks! I think it would be a good idea to enable what's called arbitrary Wikidata access for this wiki. This means that one can build modules that pull information from Wikidata to be used here. I am working on Module:Interwiki, which would let you put {{Interwiki|qid=Q16503}} on this very page to get the interlanguage list on the left. However, since arbitrary access isn't enabled here yet, the module doesn't work. I think this could also be useful for many other uses as well (for example infoboxes on author pages), so therefore I would like to ask you to support this proposal. Jon Harald Søby (talk) 14:28, 22 August 2018 (UTC)

Symbol support vote.svg Support Absolutely! Candalua (talk) 14:48, 22 August 2018 (UTC)
Symbol support vote.svg Support --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 18:43, 22 August 2018 (UTC)
Symbol support vote.svg Support If links can't be included in d: yet, at the very least we can include them locally thru the module. Good thinking again, Jon. —Justin (koavf)TCM 00:06, 23 August 2018 (UTC)
Symbol support vote.svg Support, looks very good for me too. --Nigmont (talk) 21:02, 23 August 2018 (UTC)
Symbol support vote.svg Support Ankry (talk) 15:41, 27 August 2018 (UTC)
Symbol support vote.svg Support--Jusjih (talk) 00:14, 28 August 2018 (UTC)

This change has now been put in place (thanks, Amir!), and I got the Interwiki module working and have put it on this page. This change also enables us to create automatic infoboxes for authors, for instance, using data from Wikidata. Jon Harald Søby (talk) 12:50, 8 November 2018 (UTC)

New Phab task for subdomain[edit]

Please see and comment there. —Justin (koavf)TCM 00:13, 23 August 2018 (UTC)

And this, too. —Justin (koavf)TCM 03:32, 25 August 2018 (UTC)

Editing of sitewide CSS/JS is only possible for interface administrators from now[edit]

(Please help translate to your language)

Hi all,

as announced previously, permission handling for CSS/JS pages has changed: only members of the interface-admin (Interface administrators) group, and a few highly privileged global groups such as stewards, can edit CSS/JS pages that they do not own (that is, any page ending with .css or .js that is either in the MediaWiki: namespace or is another user's user subpage). This is done to improve the security of readers and editors of Wikimedia projects. More information is available at Creation of separate user group for editing sitewide CSS/JS. If you encounter any unexpected problems, please contact me or file a bug.

Tgr (talk) 12:40, 27 August 2018 (UTC) (via global message delivery)

Tech News: 2018-35[edit]

16:16, 27 August 2018 (UTC)

Setting languages of pages[edit]

Since we now have mw:Extension:Translate, I've changed the page information for several pages to correspond to the correct language. On my talk, another user suggested that setting author pages to a particular language may not be a good idea. In retrospect, I think maybe setting them to mul may be best since the interface on an author page should be multilingual. What do others think? —Justin (koavf)TCM 17:18, 2 September 2018 (UTC)

Symbol support vote.svg Support the idea.--Jusjih (talk) 04:37, 9 September 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-36[edit]

16:47, 3 September 2018 (UTC)

Read-only mode for up to an hour on 12 September and 10 October[edit]

13:33, 6 September 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-37[edit]

22:35, 10 September 2018 (UTC)


For admins: please take care and keep watching at least for the main pages of the Wikisource, since in the recent time some vandal: User:, has vandalized some main pages. I reverted those vandal edits, but the vandal should be prevented from doing the same. --Nigmont (talk) 02:47, 15 September 2018 (UTC)

Semi-protected Main Page/Bahasa Melayu, Main Page/Afrikaans and Wikisource:Armâneascâ. Please go to Wikisource:Protection requests for any follow up.--Jusjih (talk) 02:42, 18 September 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-38[edit]

21:58, 17 September 2018 (UTC)

IP vandal creating bad user and talk pages[edit]

Could an admin deal with 2607:FB90:54A9:200A:A13D:D345:383E:EFB5 and delete all their page creations? Thanks! Graham87 (talk) 07:37, 23 September 2018 (UTC)

@Graham87: Blocked, nucked, reported to stewards. Thanks for the report and sorry for delay. Ankry (talk) 09:21, 23 September 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-39[edit]

15:23, 24 September 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-40[edit]

17:35, 1 October 2018 (UTC)

Words hyphenated across pages in Wikisource are now joined[edit]

Hi everybody. I forgot to include this site in the mass-message that was sent about this change, so I'm now copy-pasting it here:

The ProofreadPage extension can now join together a word that is split between a page and the next.

In the past, when a page was ending with "concat-" and the next page was beginning with "enation", the resulting transclusion would have been "concat- enation", and a special template like d:Q15630535 had to be used to obtain the word "concatenation".

Now the default behavior has changed: the hyphen at the end of a page is suppressed and in this case no space is inserted, so the result of the transclusion will be: "concatenation", without the need of a template. The "joiner" character is defined by default as "-" (the regular hyphen), but it is possible to change this. A template may still be needed to deal with particular cases when the hyphen needs to be preserved. --Candalua (talk) 08:10, 2 October 2018 (UTC)

I would propose to use &shy; as the joiner character instead of a normal hyphen – that is called a "soft hyphen", and is used as a marker for where words should be split in case they are too long to fit on a line. Semantically I think that would be a bit more correct than just the normal hyphen. Jon Harald Søby (talk) 14:36, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
I think that using &shy; here is unnecessary complication, especially for users entering the text:
  • The character is finally removed in main namespace, so at this point it is technically irrelevant what character is used
  • Entering binary version of &shy; (not the &-s-h-y-; 5-character HTML entity) may be a bit complicated
  • I am not sure whether the &shy; 5-character HTML entity can be even used as joiner, technically
  • Even if the above is possible, I do not think that both versions: binary and the HTML entity &shy; could be used interchangeably here (note: &#45; cannot be used here instead of - now)
  • This is not a big difference for displaying at the end of page in the Page namespace. However, only at this point the above note concerning correctness is indeed valid. The disappearing-in-the-middle-of-line function of the &shy; will not be used here as the joiner will appear only at the end of last page line.
Summarizing, I think disadvantages predominate here. Ankry (talk) 07:11, 21 October 2018 (UTC)

Bot status for JhsBot[edit]

Hi, I'd like to request bot status for my bot, JhsBot. It uses the normal Pywikibot framework, and I will use it to fix various things in "my areas". However, I have ben running the bot for more than 10 years, so if there are other bot tasks that need doing, I'm more than willing to help in other areas too (as long as I know how). Jon Harald Søby (talk) 10:57, 2 October 2018 (UTC)

Yes check.svg Done --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 15:29, 19 October 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-41[edit]

23:38, 8 October 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-42[edit]

22:40, 15 October 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-43[edit]

23:11, 22 October 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-44[edit]

20:09, 29 October 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-45[edit]

17:29, 5 November 2018 (UTC) is confusing[edit]

See this thread on the Scriptorium: "I see, thanks for the explanation very much, now I understand it better. The biggest problem I see with this site is that it was necessary to explain it at all, as the reader does not get this information on the main page and in fact I did not find it even after quite a long time of searching. I was not able to find any page explaining the system of the site, its rules, anything. As a reader I am directed to various single-language sites and do not get the information that multi-lingual works can be found there and how/where I can find them. So I got the impression that adding there some work is like throwing it into a black hole :-( --Jan Kameníček (talk) 07:20, 20 October 2018 (UTC)" We should really fix this via revamping the main page. Thoughts? —Justin (koavf)TCM 23:18, 7 November 2018 (UTC)

We can't do an awful lot to the main page as it has to be in sync with the portals of, etc.
Instead, we could make sure the help pages are actually helpful. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 09:48, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
Please note, that if a multilingual book can be split into separate single-language parts, publishing appropriate parts in various single-language wikisources is an alternative and commonly utilized way to present such books. It is likely that readers do not know that the book is multilingual why searching for the texts and making the content easier to find for readers is a strong argument. Few examples of books that are done this way:
Ankry (talk) 11:08, 8 November 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-46[edit]

19:22, 12 November 2018 (UTC)

Change coming to how certain templates will appear on the mobile web[edit]

CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 19:35, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

For boldest users...[edit]

While working again a little bit in nap pages, I'm updating a personal "maxi-gadget", that emulates many of itwikisource editing tools. Consider that is a tool designed mainly to help and fasten nsPage edits, and that it is poorly documented, being mainly for personal use; it doesn't manages but latin languages; but if any of you would like to test it.... simply add importScript("User:Alex_brollo/common.js"); into your User:UserName/common.js and (prudently!) go. --Alex brollo (talk) 18:11, 14 November 2018 (UTC)

Grazie! —Justin (koavf)TCM 22:56, 14 November 2018 (UTC)
Some doc about that tool (in Italian) here: User:Alex brollo/BAT man. By now, it implements too "eis", the Edit In Sequence itwikisource environment (briefly quoted into Community Wishlist Survey 2019). Alex brollo (talk) 06:57, 15 November 2018 (UTC)
@Koavf, Ruthven: Update I'm very frustrated, I found that "add importScript("User:Alex_brollo/common.js");" doen't run for some users (while it runs into my secondary test user User:Alex brollo bis). I'm trying to fix the bug. --Alex brollo (talk) 17:38, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
Hm. Not sure why that is/isn't working myself. Does copy/paste of the raw code work? —Justin (koavf)TCM 17:41, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
I logged in with my bot account User:BrolloBot; the trick "add importScript("User:Alex_brollo/common.js");" didn't run; copying the whole page User:Alex brollo/common.js into User:BrolloBot/common.js runs! I don't understand why, but it runs. So, try too to copy the whole User:Alex brollo/common.js into your personal common.js subpage; if it runs, you'll see a long list of small buttons at the bottom of the page. They are edit buttons, but their appearance in view mode too isn't a mistake :-) --BrolloBot (talk) 17:50, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
@Alex brollo: unsure if this is the case, but maybe related: while testing some gadgets I noticed that user/common.js changes sometimes take effect after many hours. Probably due to some caching issues, probably unrelated to local browser cache. I did not observe such issues with gadgets. Maybe it is worth to convert your code to a gadget, or a set of gadgets? Ankry (talk) 02:23, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
@Alex brollo: I think that I've solved. In my case, the issue was with the way I'd written my PersonalButtons. I do upload the the javascript with mw.loader.load('/w/index.php?title=User:Alex_brollo/common.js&action=raw&ctype=text/javascript' );. Cheers, Ruthven (talk) 10:55, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
@Ankry, Ruthven: First, thanks for your interest and help. I'll try to convert deprecated importScript() into mw.loader.load; presently I haven't admin nor interface admin privileges here, so I can't create or edit gadgets. The recent implementation of User:Alex brollo/eis.js is just a test, and needs to be rethought by scratch. It's a little bit frustrating to document an "alpha tool", things change fastly into it, but I'll try. --Alex brollo (talk) 08:30, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
@Alex brollo: I am not bureaucrat here, but I think this would not a problem to receive interface-admin rights if you need that. Ankry (talk) 09:41, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
: @Ankry: Thanks but... I feel myself more and more dissatisfied about the quality of my developer skills, so I will not ask for interface-admin rights; I prefer to edit my personal js pages. Alex brollo (talk) 21:33, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Vandal 2001:56a:76ec:e800:e0ae:62c5:d3ce:6c10[edit]

I don't know how to report vandalism. Could an administrator please review possible vandalism by 2001:56a:76ec:e800:e0ae:62c5:d3ce:6c10 Link to contributions

  • editing existing page in bad faith to link to the same creations [251]
  • deleting I placed on one of the nonsense pages [252]

Apt-ark (talk) 04:39, 16 November 2018 (UTC)

Yes check.svg Done Reviewed. Deleted. Blocked. Ankry (talk) 06:30, 16 November 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-47[edit]

23:28, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Adding Cosmoglotta[edit]


I am looking for some feedback before importing a magazine written from the 1920s to around 1950. It's called Cosmoglotta and is written mostly in the planned language Occidental (Interlingue), but includes a number of other languages as well from time to time. The Austrian National Library hosts it here:

Each year is around 100 pages. Cosmoglotta at its height was 12 pages per issue, one issue per month, so many years have exactly 144 images. Also for a number of years it published two versions of the magazine, which is why there are two links.

Image quality varies from very good to fairly blurry such as this one:

Since it's multilingual that should solve where to put it (here on the multilingual WIkisource). I have two questions:

1) Importing the images: is one at a time best? The closest thing the library site has to displaying all pages on one screen is this: But I don't think that'll be enough. I have no problem with doing them one at a time though.

2) Two orthographies. The orthography and vocabulary changed somewhat between the years 1922 and 1947, the latter date when it took on its current form. Also for a number of years, especially during WWII, it was put together on a pretty shoestring budget with a typewriter and so has a number of typos here and there. I would ideally like to type up two versions: 1) the way it was originally printed, and 2) the cleaned up, modernized version. The difference is not great, but since nobody speaks Occidental as a native language it's important to not confuse anyone wanting to learn it or trying to decipher it (e.g. if the spelling is off it may not show up in a dictionary).

All in all it's about 3000 to 3500 pages. I would start with Cosmoglotta B which goes from 1935 to 1947, as that is when the most work was put into cleaning up the language, and also due to the period's historical importance (Cosmoglotta A did not publish during the war).

Mithridates (talk) 03:34, 22 November 2018 (UTC)

Hi @Mithridates:, I see that lots of Cosmoglotta fascicles have already been uploaded into, here the results of a first search: using creator:"Societé Kosmoglott" into search field.
I think that mulwikisource is the best project to upload multilingual works, please try the tool that often runs even if IA item haven't a djvu file.
The project is a hard one, so my suggestion is to begin with a "diplomatic" (as it has been printed) version; there are possible tricks to write an alternative modernized version into the same nsPage page, but I feel that a simple diplomatic version is the best strategy to begin such a large work. Alex brollo (talk) 09:26, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
Thank you, that tool is exactly what I was looking for. I see on they have Cosmoglottas up to 1939, after which only very few changes were made. So I can just type out the 'diplomatic' version as you said and in the end it will be at least 99% the same as the modern version. I'll start with the 1939 issues, and even that one year will take a very long time. The tool seems to have worked well: Mithridates (talk) 11:47, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
@Mithridates: I took the opportunity to import here an itwikisource successful gadget using CropTool. While editing nsPage, it adds a "CropTool" link to Tools list into sidebar, and a button Pulsante img.png into Advanced section of toolbox. The former opens CropTool for current page, the latter inserts a draft code for cropped image using the default file name suggested by CropTool. I tested the script into page 1 of your new Index. If you like, the code for that script is into User:Alex brollo/vector.js, you can test it simply copying the code into yours User:Mithridates/common.js. I hope that it will run for you too. :-) Alex brollo (talk) 13:20, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
@Alex brollo: Ah, took me about five minutes to see what exactly you were referring to but I see it now. Cosmoglotta is full of those hand-drawn images and diagrams so that should help a lot. Thanks again! Mithridates (talk) 14:21, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
@Alex brollo: So today I noticed somebody has added a few pages and also included a SIC tag to indicate where the spelling has changed. I gave that a try on page 8 and it seems to be a good solution to indicate where the spelling has changed. In a single page I ended up using it five times, which is not too much: Illa-ella, antiqualya-antiquallia, femina-fémina, ley-lege, analysat-analisat. Mithridates (talk) 01:12, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
@Mithridates: Maybe this is a stupid question, but why do you think that the magazines are PD (in US in case of this project)? It is clear that 1922 volumes are PD and 1923 ones will be PD in January. But others? is there a specific exclusion in Swiss copyright law that made them PD in Switzerland in 1996? Being available in a digital library does not automatically mean that they are PD. They may be available under Fair Use or some limited permission (like non-commercial ones). Ankry (talk) 22:19, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
@Ankry: Not a dumb question. I wonder if the tool automatically selected PD? Either that or I did without looking closely when doing the upload. Let's see...anything by Edgar de Wahl (the creator of the language) will definitely be PD as he has been dead for exactly 70 years now (died in Tallinn in 1948), but Cosmoglotta was mostly written by others, some of whom like Berger and Matejka died in the 1980s and 1990s. The Interlingue-Union (previously the Occidental-Union) exists today though I think it might have been dissolved at once point when so many Occidentalists made the exodus to Interlingua...also the magazine often used letters to the editor and translated content from other languages that came from who knows where. The library itself has the standard disclaimer that (paraphrasing) "we are making this content available for historical reasons but that doesn't mean we are asserting them to be PD". So I think we both agree that full PD isn't claimable here. Should I just change it to CC BY-SA 3.0? Mithridates (talk) 00:40, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
@Mithridates:I see no evidence for CC BY-SA 3.0 license (this has to be explicitely declared by copyright owners to be valid). 70 pma may be also irrelevant here, as in US, for pre-1978 published works copytight is based on publication date, and lasts 95 years unless it falls under some special cases. One of the cases may be, that the work was PD in 1996 in the initial publication country (Switzerland, I assume). So the question is, when did Swiss copyright to these publications expire? (50 years after publication? 50/70 pma?) Ankry (talk) 02:10, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
@Ankry: I see. The library itself (should mention this is the Austrian library - Cosmoglotta was based in Vienna, although Cosmoglotta B was published in Switzerland) seems have kind of been winging it on copyright since the project started over 10 years ago: They say they are not asserting that any of the newspapers there are free of copyright, and that they choose to scan works that are in particularly bad condition, so journals that are on the verge of outright disappearing anyway. I remember an Occidentalist back in 2007 or so before they were scanned who had managed to get his hands on a few issues, and that was big news at the time. What sort of copyright applies here when we are in a "some is definitely PD, some may not be, and in the meantime the copyright owners have more or less let their material rot" situation? Some sort of fair use claim for the sake of preservation? Mithridates (talk) 02:31, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
@Mithridates, Ankry: What's a pity, this licence-related issue! It's a very complex and critical one and I can't help you. Our itwikisource policy is, to discuss it into Commons, and to accept Commons's decision. Nevertheless, thanks for opportunity of importing here too the CropTool stuff, I hope it will turn out useful for other users/other works. Alex brollo (talk) 07:19, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
@Mithridates: I think, you can safely upload the 1922 volumes, and in few weeks the 1923 volumes. The rest should wait for subsequent years or till their Swiss copyright status is resolved. As I do not know German/French/Italian/Rumansch I cannot help you in the latter. Their Swiss copyright may be based on publication date (50 yers) and may be not extended by newer copyright law. But we need an explicit clause either from Swiss copyright law or from some legal opinion by Swiss lawyers for that. Also, as the Swiss copyright is unclear, I suggest to upload the volumes here, and not to Commons (Commons require files to be PD in US and in the country of origin; Wikisource accepts works that are PD in US regardless of their copyright status in the country of origin). Everything published more than 95 years ago (before 1.1.1923 now, and before 1.1.1924 in Jan 2019) is PD in US. Ankry (talk) 08:31, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
@Ankry: Just to clarify, this is mostly Austrian copyright law as that's where most of them were published. (Swiss is involved too, but mostly Austria) I just sent an email to the library to get an opinion on this and will let you know if I get a reply. If it's only 1922 and 1923 that would be a shame, as that's when the magazine was a real hodge-podge of languages and the Occidental is a bit dated, so much less value to the community there. I was planning to do those years right at the end. Mithridates (talk) 08:41, 23 November 2018 (UTC)

User talk page[edit]

I need someone to indefinitely semi-protect my user talk page on this project, please. Thank you. Drmies (talk) 23:40, 25 November 2018 (UTC)

Yes check.svg Done Ankry (talk) 00:21, 26 November 2018 (UTC)

Advanced Search[edit]

Johanna Strodt (WMDE) (talk) 11:03, 26 November 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-48[edit]

22:22, 26 November 2018 (UTC)

Congratulazioni to Napulitano[edit]

Main Page/Napulitano has been approved to graduate to its own domain. See phab:T210752. —Justin (koavf)TCM 17:15, 29 November 2018 (UTC)

That is great news! :) --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 13:38, 1 December 2018 (UTC)
It's by far our largest collection here and very active. —Justin (koavf)TCM 21:48, 1 December 2018 (UTC)
Congrats from me as well! -jkb- (talk) 16:51, 8 December 2018 (UTC)
Congratulations from me too! (I'm sorry that I saw this topic only recently and hadn't noticed it before, thus I hadn't respond quickly and I am commenting only just now). And I feel some pity that the Neapolitan project hadn't been approved much earlier, since, in my opinion, it for a long time had already deserved that approvement. As well I wish good luck to all the contributors to Napulitano! --Nigmont (talk) 01:28, 9 December 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-49[edit]

16:12, 3 December 2018 (UTC)

Selection of the Wikisource Community User Group representative to the Wikimedia Summit[edit]

Dear all,

Sorry for writing in English and cross-posting this message.

The Wikisource Community User Group could send one representative to the Wikimedia Summit 2019 (formerly "Wikimedia Conference"). The Wikimedia Summit is a yearly conference of all organizations affiliated to the Wikimedia Movement (including our Wikisource Community User Group). It is a great place to talk about Wikisource needs to the chapters and other user groups that compose the Wikimedia movement. For context, there is a short report on what happened last year. The deadline is short and to avoid the confusing vote on the Wikisource-I mailing list of last year, we created a page on meta to decide who will be the representative of the user group to the Wikimedia Summit.

The vote will be in two parts:

  1. until December 7th, people can add their name and a short explanation on who they are and why they want to go to the summit. Nomination of other people is allowed, the nominated person should accept their nomination.
  2. starting December 7th, and for a week, the community vote to designate the representative.

Please feel free to ask any question on the wikisource-I mailing list or on the talk page.

For the Wikisource Community User Group, Tpt (talk) 15:15, 5 December 2018 (UTC)

New Wikimedia password policy and requirements[edit]

CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 20:03, 6 December 2018 (UTC)

Wikisource Community User Group representative vote[edit]

Dear all,

Sorry for writing in English and cross-posting this message.

Following the previous message, the vote for the representative of the Wikisource Community User Group to the Wikimedia Summit 2019 is now open.

There is two great candidates on page on meta to decide who will be the representative of the user group to the Wikimedia Summit. You can support a candidate now. All active Wikisource users can vote. The vote is ending on December 14, 2018.

Feel free to ask any question on the wikisource-I mailing list or on the talk page.

Thank you!

For the Wikisource Community User Group, Tpt (talk) December 8, 2018 at 18:53 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-50[edit]

17:33, 10 December 2018 (UTC)

Tech News: 2018-51[edit]

20:35, 17 December 2018 (UTC)

Invitation from Wiki Loves Love 2019[edit]

Please help translate to your language

WLL Subtitled Logo (transparent).svg

Love is an important subject for humanity and it is expressed in different cultures and regions in different ways across the world through different gestures, ceremonies, festivals and to document expression of this rich and beautiful emotion, we need your help so we can share and spread the depth of cultures that each region has, the best of how people of that region, celebrate love.

Wiki Loves Love (WLL) is an international photography competition of Wikimedia Commons with the subject love testimonials happening in the month of February.

The primary goal of the competition is to document love testimonials through human cultural diversity such as monuments, ceremonies, snapshot of tender gesture, and miscellaneous objects used as symbol of love; to illustrate articles in the worldwide free encyclopedia Wikipedia, and other Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) projects.

The theme of 2019 iteration is Celebrations, Festivals, Ceremonies and rituals of love.

Sign up your affiliate or individually at Participants page.

To know more about the contest, check out our Commons Page and FAQs

There are several prizes to grab. Hope to see you spreading love this February with Wiki Loves Love!

Kind regards,

Wiki Loves Love Team

Imagine... the sum of all love!

--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:13, 27 December 2018 (UTC)