| firstname =
| lastname =
| last_initial =
| birthyear =
| deathyear =
| description =
| image =
| wikipedia =
| wikidata =
This template is meant to be used on author pages. Fill in any relevant information, and leave unknown or inapplicable parameters empty. Please don't remove or reorder parameters, as this makes reuse and automated maintenance more difficult. Any override parameters (see below) should be added at the bottom.
To also note that this template automatically applies some categorisation based on the years of life of the author, and a default sort based on the lastname field of the author
(The usage example below may help understand these.)
- Normal parameters
- firstname, lastname: The first and family name of the author.
If the name order comes from a tradition where the family name typically precedes the given name, please enter the name as follows, including the admonitory comment text:
|firstname = Ming
|lastname = Xing
|invert_names = yes
- last_initial: The initial two letters of the family name.
- birthyear, deathyear: The birth and death years in numerical format (append "BCE" for dates before year 1, e.g.
- Enter "?" for an author who has no publicly-known birth or death date, and leave blank if you simply don't have this information. Leave the death date blank if they are still alive.
- Do not use AD or CE for any Anno Domini/Current Era years (year 1 to the present). Use BCE (do not use BC) for all years before year 1.
- Approximate dates can be entered in one of the following ways:
- Decades or centuries can be used instead of a year (e.g.
- To use a year in the circa format, enter it as "c/Y" (e.g.
c/150 BCE). (The use of "ca" or "circa" instead of "c" will also be recognised.) This will display as, for example, "c. 1930".
- To use a tenuous year, enter it as "Y/?" (e.g.
1930/?). This will display as, for example, "1930?"
- To use a choice of two years, enter it as "Y/Y" (e.g.
1930/1931). This will display as it is written.
- description: A brief description of author's works, and personal history; usable for specific notes.
- image: The name of the image on Wikisource or Wikicommons, excluding the 'image:' or 'file:' prefixes (
- Internal links (optional - use whichever are appropriate)
- portal: slash-separated list of related portals. e.g., World History/Greece
- related_author: slash-separated list of related authors. e.g. William Shakespeare/Francis Bacon
- Interwiki links (optional - use whichever are appropriate)
commons, commonscat, wikiquote, wikinews, wiktionary, wikibooks, wikiversity, wikispecies, wikivoyage, wikidata, meta, wikilivres
- Overrides (for exceptions)
- defaultsort: Override the category sorting, which is normally "lastname, firstname".
- dates: Override the birth and death year. birthyear and deathyear may still be supplied, and will be used for categorisation.
- image_caption: Override the default firstname lastname.
upright = yes to the image configuration applies a 0.6 scaling factor for long images
- With the exception of description, none of the parameters should be wikilinked (wrapped in [[ ]]) as the requisite fields are appropriately designed to do such linking. Links can be used within the descriptive text by traditional or wikilink methodologies.
- Links are being migrated to Wikidata as they are created at that site. Parameters are retained for cases where the Wikidata data needs to be overwritten.
| firstname = Booker T.
| lastname = Washington
| last_initial = Wa
| birthyear = 1856
| deathyear = 1915
| description = (Description here.)
| image = BookerTWashington-Cheynes.LOC.jpg
| wikipedia = Booker T. Washington