Wikisource:Scriptorium/Archives/Jan 2015 - Dec 2015

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Contents

Happy 2015![edit]

Here's to transcribing I look forward to what new works will be made available to the world this year. —Justin (koavf)TCM 20:05, 1 January 2015 (UTC)

I'm so happy to feel so many people working together just now in so many ways to help! This library will be a marvel! Thank you all of you, thank you Justin!
If you wish to test our new design for Visual Editor, you can do it here. I love it: so simple, so useful. --Zyephyrus (talk) 23:01, 1 January 2015 (UTC)
Thanks to you guys! Let's go! & have a nice 2015! (-minus 19 days that already passed by due to a mix of laziness to read out of my world and permanent hangover) --C.R. (talk) 21:11, 19 January 2015 (UTC)

I need a help for using ProofreadPage at Korean wikisource[edit]

Hello, there. I need a help for using ProofreadPage at Korean wikisource. I tried to contact local admin. But nobody answered me. At first, please see this page ko:색인:殺人書秘話 박문 제1집, 1938.10, 12-13 (2 pages).pdf, which doesn't work well. I think something is wrong in this. How should do for using ProofreadPage at Korean wikisource? HappyMidnight (talk) 13:46, 11 January 2015 (UTC)

@HappyMidnight: I am trying to help but I have limited skills and don't know Korean. It looks like there is not Title field to enter a name for the work and although I tried to enter pages, it didn't recognize them as well. Do you know of any other indices on ko.ws? You might need to file a bug at phabricator:... —Justin (koavf)TCM 17:20, 11 January 2015 (UTC)
Update All indices are broken: ko:색인:Hanseong Sunbo 18831031.djvu, ko:색인:읍혈록(泣血錄).pdf, and ko:색인:The passing of Korea.djvu as well. —Justin (koavf)TCM 17:22, 11 January 2015 (UTC)
@Koavf: Thank you for your attention and efforts to fix it. I would rather ask at phabricator which you referred to. HappyMidnight (talk) 04:01, 12 January 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-03[edit]

16:47, 12 January 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-04[edit]

18:12, 19 January 2015 (UTC)

Upload a DjVu file created of text scans which were made not by me[edit]

Hello!

I have a question: if I upload to the Wikisource a DjVu file, constructed of images, which are originally the scans of some book (which itself is in the public domain) but these scans were made not by me (by some unknown person who posted them in some site in the Web) — is this action OK to Wikisource / Wikimedia copyright policies, or against them?

The book which was scanned — it is, as I said, in the public domain: it was firstly published in the 1901 year in the Russian Empire, and its' author died in the 1903. And, the scans are mere mechanical scans of pages of the book, and they does not appear to contain any artwork of the person who made the scans. --Nigmont (talk) 19:47, 24 January 2015 (UTC)

@Nigmont: No one owns the rights to any particular scan of a work: if the book is in the public domain, a digital reproduction of the book is in the public domain. —Justin (koavf)TCM 19:58, 24 January 2015 (UTC)
Thanks a lot! --Nigmont (talk) 20:05, 24 January 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-05[edit]

16:08, 26 January 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-06[edit]

16:31, 2 February 2015 (UTC)

Transclusion problems[edit]

Can somebody help me with problems which I got on transclusion of proofread pages:

I created a page where I transclude all the pages of the book which I proofread before. I desired to got something like in the English Wikisource, for example: en:The_Boy_Land_Boomer/Chapter_1, en:The Lodger/Chapter I.

But really I got: Иоанн-вельденьне Шкайстонь Ёнь-куля/ВО/00, and the problems are:

1. The numbers (link in the square braces) of the transcluded pages are overlapped by the text. In the English Wikisource, the text is displayed with left margin wide enough to contain transcluded pages numbers and make them to be apart from the text.

2. The template Template:nop seemingly does not work as expected: for example, I added it at the end of the first transcluded page, but the desired paragraph is not present in the combined page —- the verse #12 is displayed in the same paragraph as the verse #11.

Is this something wrong that I did while formatting proofread pages and/or transclusion page? Or is this a problem with software installed in this wiki? Or something else? --Nigmont (talk) 20:19, 8 February 2015 (UTC)

Addition: transcluding a portion of a page, as described here: en:Help:Transclusion, also doesn't work — you can see at Иоанн-вельденьне Шкайстонь Ёнь-куля/ВО/01. --Nigmont (talk) 01:09, 9 February 2015 (UTC)

I also have the same question! Thanks for pointing this out. --C.R. (talk) 08:03, 9 February 2015 (UTC)
I am very glad to know that my requests became useful not only for me! --Nigmont (talk) 19:46, 9 February 2015 (UTC)
  • Concerning the last problem (transcluding a portion of the page): I figured out what's the matter: really two different labels were needed on the portioned page, but I had provided only one. Just now I created two section labels on the interjacent page — for chapter 1 and 2, and set the first of them as border in the transclusion page for chapter 1; and transcluding now works well on that point. But the other two problems (links are overlapped, and template "nop" doesn't work) are still remaining. --Nigmont (talk) 19:46, 9 February 2015 (UTC)
1) added margins for tr. text; on enwiki it is done with styles, here the width of the text is set only if you are using <pages> tag with the attribute header=1
2) besides {{nop}} you need to add extra blank lines
Zdzislaw (talk) 20:06, 10 February 2015 (UTC)
Concerning {{nop}} — I checked and discovered that you are quite right, blank line is needed, I missed this moment.
On the matter of the margins. I consider to try to copy those settings from the enwiki to this wiki: is this possible without special admin (or any other) rights and/or sophisticated efforts? If yes: may be you (or smb. else) point me what settings and wiki-templates should be examined there to be imported here? --Nigmont (talk) 20:31, 10 February 2015 (UTC)
@Zdzislaw: sorry, I haven't noticed that you had already fixed one of my pages — Иоанн-вельденьне Шкайстонь Ёнь-куля/ВО/00 — and now I see this is displayed well, with margins; and nothing is needed to be imported from enwiki. Now I know what I need to do in order to fix that on any other transclusion pages. Zdzislaw, thank you very much, once again! --Nigmont (talk) 20:47, 10 February 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-07[edit]

16:26, 9 February 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-08[edit]

17:57, 16 February 2015 (UTC)

Admin Activity Review[edit]

Per m:Admin activity review, we are subject to stewards' review of inactive admins and bureaucrats whenever they conduct a review. However, we have regularly nominated inactive admins and crats on Wikisource:Administrators and have regularly made meaningful consensus decisions to desysop or decrat inactive users. We have also forborn removal of rights when we have found that a user remained active elsewhere and was available when needed (see Wikisource:Nominations for adminship/Archives#Removals of adminship and Wikisource:Nominations for adminship/Archives#Removals of Bureaucrat rights). Stewards will take no such forbearance. I recommend we adopt the following local admin review process in lieu of global policy:

Users with advanced rights shall be subject to review on wikisource:Administrators whenever the community deems appropriate, commonly when they have zero edits and zero log actions for a period of 12 months or longer. Users who lose their rights due to inactivity are encouraged to reassume their rights whenever they wish, either by talking to a bureaucrat or initiating a new request for rights. Users who do not respond to notice of a review may automatically have their rights removed after 30 days. Activity on other Wikimedia Foundation projects shall be taken into account and the consensus of the community shall be the sole standard and the global policy shall not apply on this project.

The second and third sentences come from the language currently at wikisource:Administrators#Vote for removal of administrator privileges. I'm not stuck on any of that language and would certainly entertain simpler versions but I think we should emphasize 1) simple process, 2) community discretion.--Doug.(talk contribs) 19:46, 16 February 2015 (UTC)

Prior discussions on this topic are here: Wikisource talk:Administrators. We previously talked about six months but that is neither practical (IMNSHO) nor our recent practice, where admins are active elsewhere. It's a fact of life on mul.ws that experienced users here are likely far more active elsewhere.--Doug.(talk contribs) 17:23, 17 February 2015 (UTC)
Hi Doug. I think it is very difficult to compare Oldwikisource wirh other projects - even those ones of Wikisource. Here there is no community in the normal sense, here small to marginal parts of other communities work, each divided from another. Thus the activity of the admins is very limited - but also from language reasons etc. I am sure I see some more copyright violations very often, but I can use the google translator, and then it is better to do nothing. Or, see Wikisource:Possible copyright violations#Works of Firuza Abdullina and Wikisource:Possible copyright violations#Works by User:CoderSIBot and some IPs. Regards, -jkb- (talk) 23:15, 17 February 2015 (UTC)
-jkb-, I'm unclear what you are saying. Your comment seems to fit more with what I mention below about patrolled pages than about review of inactive admins. My point is that there is a global policy on inactive admins. It applies to us because we didn't opt out and it could potentially result in the de-sysopping of admins by stewards without our involvement/consent. That may make sense for some tiny backwater xx.ws where all admins may be inactive but we have 17 admins all of whom are active somewhere and we have de-sysopped when someone is truly inactive everywhere. We could simply post to meta that we have a process and not say what it is or refer to the old six months of inactivity rule, but I think this is a good time to update and formalize our policy (but not too formal ;) ).--Doug.(talk contribs) 01:17, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
Another option altogether: Users on mul.ws may be as active or inactive as they wish on this wiki, so long as they remain active on some WMF projects, they may retain all rights on this wiki. In the event of inactivity on all WMF projects, the community will remove privileges in its own good time. ;D Call this "Proposal 2". --Doug.(talk contribs) 02:56, 18 February 2015 (UTC)

New Page Patrolling[edit]

We have New Page Patrolling enabled but we don't have an "autopatroller" right so only Admins and bots have autopatrolled edits (and only admins may mark edits as patrolled, which is a lot of work). The vast majority of new pages are therefore not patrolled and never get patrolled making the red exclamation mark or the yellow highlighting superfluous. At the same time, IP edits to existing pages have nothing to make them stand out. That means that "not patrolled" = new page not created by an admin or a bot (24 accounts including some very stale bots), users who generally create relatively few new pages here anyway. Recall also that all new pages are marked with an N.

I suggest we either 1) disable Patrolled Pages altogether or 2) enable recent changes patrolling (as is the case on en.ws and is the original mediawiki default), so that all edits by users without the patrol right are marked as unpatrolled, not just new pages. If we do the latter (or if we do nothing), we should enable the autopatroller right and grant admins the power to grant this right (as on en.ws and many other wikis). Another alternative, used on many wikis, would be to add the patrol right to autoconfirmed users. I think my preference would be to simply disable new page patrolling such that no pages are ever marked with an exclamation mark nor highlighted, particularly considering that many edits are in a language that only a few if any admins can read, there isn't much value to the information that a non-admin made a new page.--Doug.(talk contribs) 19:30, 17 February 2015 (UTC).

See just now above: we do not have users for patrolling; we would need one admin for every language, but also in this case I am not sure if it would work. -jkb- (talk) 23:17, 17 February 2015 (UTC)
I think we're saying the same thing, my proposal is that we disable new page patrolling because it's a meaningless distraction.--Doug.(talk contribs) 14:12, 3 March 2015 (UTC)
Yep. It doesn't fit this multilanguage project. -jkb- (talk) 22:34, 3 March 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-09[edit]

16:28, 23 February 2015 (UTC)

[Global proposal] m.Wikisource.org: (all) Edit pages[edit]

MediaWiki mobile

Hi, this message is to let you know that, on domains like en.m.wikipedia.org, unregistered users cannot edit. At the Wikimedia Forum, where global configuration changes are normally discussed, a few dozens users propose to restore normal editing permissions on all mobile sites. Please read and comment!

Thanks and sorry for writing in English, Nemo 22:33, 1 March 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-10[edit]

16:41, 2 March 2015 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign: Improving diversity, improving content[edit]

This March, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas for improving gender diversity on Wikimedia projects. Less than 20% of Wikimedia contributors are women, and many important topics are still missing in our content. We invite all Wikimedians to participate. If you have an idea that could help address this problem, please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 31.

All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive, positive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign and help this project better represent the world’s knowledge!

(Sorry for the English - please translate this message!) MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:01, 4 March 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-11[edit]

15:18, 9 March 2015 (UTC)

SUL finalization update[edit]

Hi all, please read this page for important information and an update involving SUL finalization, scheduled to take place in one month. Thanks. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 19:46, 13 March 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-12[edit]

15:14, 16 March 2015 (UTC)

A problem with editing proofread pages[edit]

I haven't edited proofread pages for several days. Today I tried to open proofread pages for editing and it seems to me that something is broken: I see that the editing tab (that one which consists of buttons 'B', 'I', hyperlink buttons, links 'Advanced', 'Special characters', 'Help') is displayed twice:

  • first - at the top of the main proofread window (that one which consists of two inner windows: the left window (where roofread text is entered) and the right window (where the image of the page is displayed));
  • and the second (duplicated) tab - just under the first tab - at the top of the inner left window (which is for entering proofread text).

Also the 'Proofread tools' are not available: the link is missing, so the header and footer are unavailable for editing.

I see such behavior in the Firefox (ver. 36.0.1) only. The Google Chrome and the Internet Explorer both evidently do not have this problem.

Also I tried this in the English Wikisource: evidently there is not this problem there, even in the Firefox. --Nigmont (talk) 19:47, 18 March 2015 (UTC)

Update: I have tried to switch to Google Chrome temporarily, and discovered that the problem is not bound to any particular browser. It seems that the problem arises when I try to create a new proofread page clicking on a red page link on an index page. For expample - an index: Index:Эрзянь ёвкст (М. Е. Евсевьев, 1928).djvu - try to click any red page link: the page opens having the problem I described above, and I see such behavior not only on Firefox but on Chrome and IE too. Clearing browser cache discards the problem for cases of editing any page which already exists (has been created before), until I try once again to create a new proofread page by clicking a red link on the index page. --Nigmont (talk) 20:20, 18 March 2015 (UTC)

@Nigmont: When I try to create Page:Эрзянь ёвкст (М. Е. Евсевьев, 1928).djvu/8, I have no problem seeing the Proofread tools bar (which has zoom, header/footer, and horizontal/vertical layout). SeaMonkey (similar to Firefox) on Windows. —Justin (koavf)TCM 03:59, 19 March 2015 (UTC)
@Nigmont: I had the same problem yesterday (08:47, 18 March 2015 CET). Somehow it works now for me (08:49, 19 March 2015). I am using Firefox 36.0.1 for Ubuntu. Give it a try now. Maybe there is a track of this problem somewhere.--C.R. (talk) 07:49, 19 March 2015 (UTC)
OOPS. I tried the Page:Эрзянь ёвкст (М. Е. Евсевьев, 1928).djvu/8 and the problem still exists (sorry for the false positive)--C.R. (talk) 07:53, 19 March 2015 (UTC)
Giving more tries I would say the problem was gone just for some minutes for me (when I wrote the first message)... Now I am not able to find again the Proofread Tools so the problem is still a issue for me. Thanks!. --C.R. (talk) 07:59, 19 March 2015 (UTC)

Just now I have done one more check: I deleted in the Firefox all the cookies, restarted the Firefox and try opening the page Page:Эрзянь ёвкст (М. Е. Евсевьев, 1928).djvu/8. And I didn't have the problem!

But after that I tried another page (that one on which I encountered the problem for the first time): Page:Эрзянь ёвкст (М. Е. Евсевьев, 1928).djvu/37, and the problem appeared again!

@Koavf: can you check that page too (the page # 37 - the red link above)? --Nigmont (talk) 17:10, 19 March 2015 (UTC)

Also for me. --C.R. (talk) 06:31, 20 March 2015 (UTC)
Just now I checked this again, and now the problem has disappeared for me too. Maybe some fixes have been applied or admins have been performed some settings (e.g. user Phe did some changes to js files, as seen in 'Recent changes') that eliminated the problem. --Nigmont (talk) 16:26, 20 March 2015 (UTC)

Need help to set right footer style for main namespace works on Te.wikisource[edit]

Te.Wikisource follows the En.wikisource templates and stylesheets except for localisation of frequently used strings. We have been facing problem with footer style (background is white, instead of light green as in English wikisource, example page link). The header background is as per expectation on Te.wikisource. I have synced up all the .css files with En.ws and the problem is not solved. Please help.--Arjunaraoc (talk) 11:42, 21 March 2015 (UTC)--Arjunaraoc (talk) 11:42, 21 March 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-13[edit]

15:09, 23 March 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-14[edit]

15:18, 30 March 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-15[edit]

15:41, 6 April 2015 (UTC)

Possibility of a "Sister projects" report in the Wikipedia Signpost[edit]

Hello, all I'm a volunteer at the, the Wikimedia movement's biggest internal newspaper. Almost all of our coverage focuses on Wikipedia, with occasional coverage of Commons, the Meta-Wiki, MediaWiki, Wikidata, the the Wikimedia Labs; we have little to nothing to say about Wiktionary, Wikiquote, Wikibooks, Wikisource, Wikispecies, Wikinews, Wikiversity, or Wikivoyage. I'm interested in writing a special long-form "sister projects" report to try and address this shortfall. Is there anyone experienced in the Wikibooks project with whom I can speak with, perhaps over Skype, about the mission, organization, history, successes, troubles, and foibles of being a contributor to this project? If so, please drop me a line at my. Thanks! ResMar 21:04, 5 April 2015 (UTC)

Stewards confirmation rules[edit]

Hello, I made a proposal on Meta to change the rules for the steward confirmations. Currently consensus to remove is required for a steward to lose his status, however I think it's fairer to the community if every steward needed the consensus to keep. As this is an issue that affects all WMF wikis, I'm sending this notification to let people know & be able to participate. Best regards, --MF-W 16:12, 10 April 2015 (UTC)

Erreur signalée[edit]

je constate que dans l'article GEISHA il y a une erreur dans le premier caractère chinois : il devrauit être 艺 (yi) et on donne un voisin 芸 : on attend "art", on trouve "carotte" !!! Faites vérifier par un véritable sinologue ou sinophone... Cordialement vôtre. unsigned comment by BELLEMIN-NOEL Jean (talk) 15:18, 12 April 2015‎.

Tech News: 2015-16[edit]

16:40, 13 April 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-17[edit]

15:29, 20 April 2015 (UTC)

Nominations are being accepted for 2015 Wikimedia Foundation elections[edit]

This is a message from the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee. Translations are available.

Wikimedia Foundation logo - vertical (2012-2016).svg

Greetings,

I am pleased to announce that nominations are now being accepted for the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections. This year the Board and the FDC Staff are looking for a diverse set of candidates from regions and projects that are traditionally under-represented on the board and in the movement as well as candidates with experience in technology, product or finance. To this end they have published letters describing what they think is needed and, recognizing that those who know the community the best are the community themselves, the election committee is accepting nominations for community members you think should run and will reach out to those nominated to provide them with information about the job and the election process.

This year, elections are being held for the following roles:

Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long term sustainability of the Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. There are three positions being filled. More information about this role can be found at the board elections page.

Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) makes recommendations about how to allocate Wikimedia movement funds to eligible entities. There are five positions being filled. More information about this role can be found at the FDC elections page.

Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) Ombud
The FDC Ombud receives complaints and feedback about the FDC process, investigates complaints at the request of the Board of Trustees, and summarizes the investigations and feedback for the Board of Trustees on an annual basis. One position is being filled. More information about this role can be found at the FDC Ombudsperson elections page.

The candidacy submission phase lasts from 00:00 UTC April 20 to 23:59 UTC May 5 for the Board and from 00:00 UTCApril 20 to 23:59 UTC April 30 for the FDC and FDC Ombudsperson. This year, we are accepting both self-nominations and nominations of others. More information on this election and the nomination process can be found on the 2015 Wikimedia elections page on Meta-Wiki.

Please feel free to post a note about the election on your project's village pump. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the talk page on Meta, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-elections -at- wikimedia.org

On behalf of the Elections Committee,
-Gregory Varnum (User:Varnent)
Coordinator, 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, 05:03, 21 April 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

Tech News: 2015-18[edit]

15:10, 27 April 2015 (UTC)

Support request with team editing experiment project[edit]

Dear tech ambassadors, instead of spamming the Village Pump of each Wikipedia about my tiny project proposal for researching team editing (see here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Research_team_editing), I have decided to leave to your own discretion if the matter is relevant enough to inform a wider audience already. I would appreciate if you could appraise if the Wikipedia community you are more familiar with could have interest in testing group editing "on their own grounds" and with their own guidance. In a nutshell: it consists in editing pages as a group instead of as an individual. This social experiment might involve redefining some aspects of the workflow we are all used to, with the hope of creating a more friendly and collaborative environment since editing under a group umbrella creates less social exposure than traditional "individual editing". I send you this message also as a proof that the Inspire Campaign is already gearing up. As said I would appreciate of *you* just a comment on the talk page/endorsement of my project noting your general perception about the idea. Nothing else. Your contribution helps to shape the future! (which I hope it will be very bright, with colors, and Wikipedia everywhere) Regards from User:Micru on meta.

Wikimedia Foundation Funds Dissemination Committee elections 2015[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

This is a message from the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee. Translations are available.

Voting has begun for eligible voters in the 2015 elections for the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) and FDC Ombudsperson. Questions and discussion with the candidates for the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) and FDC Ombudsperson will continue during the voting. Nominations for the Board of Trustees will be accepted until 23:59 UTC May 5.

The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) makes recommendations about how to allocate Wikimedia movement funds to eligible entities. There are five positions on the committee being filled.

The FDC Ombudsperson receives complaints and feedback about the FDC process, investigates complaints at the request of the Board of Trustees, and summarizes the investigations and feedback for the Board of Trustees on an annual basis. One position is being filled.

The voting phase lasts from 00:00 UTC May 3 to 23:59 UTC May 10. Click here to vote. Questions and discussion with the candidates will continue during that time. Click here to ask the FDC candidates a question. Click here to ask the FDC Ombudsperson candidates a question. More information on the candidates and the elections can be found on the 2015 FDC election page, the 2015 FDC Ombudsperson election page, and the 2015 Board election page on Meta-Wiki.

On behalf of the Elections Committee,
-Gregory Varnum (User:Varnent)
Volunteer Coordinator, 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 03:45, 4 May 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

Tech News: 2015-19[edit]

15:03, 4 May 2015 (UTC)

Updating Template:Author[edit]

Hi to all!

I want to update the Template:Author, because its current design seems to me to be very ugly. I want to borrow template's design from the English Wikisource where it looks much more beautiful. After updating the template, I intend to pass through all the pages in this wiki where the template is transcluded (their count -- as you can see on Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Author -- is below than 100 -- not very large), and to update manually all the pages where updating is needed. I will do this during one-two days, so if anybody sees that any author pages have something broken -- please take patience and wait until I will end up with all the works.

If you have some notices for these actions -- please write here about that. Regards, Nigmont (talk) 11:46, 11 May 2015 (UTC)

Update (just in case): I seems to me that I have already updated all the authors' pages, but if you see that I missed any pages and you are in trouble to update them yourself, or if you just think that the idea itself (updating the template) was not very good — let me know. --Nigmont (talk) 18:32, 13 May 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-20[edit]

15:34, 11 May 2015 (UTC)

Wikidata: Access to data from arbitrary items is coming[edit]

(Sorry for writing in English)

When using data from Wikidata on Wikipedia and other sister projects, there is currently a limitation in place that hinders some use cases: data can only be accessed from the corresponding item. So, for example, the Wikipedia article about Berlin can only get data from the Wikidata item about Berlin but not from the item about Germany. This had technical reasons. We are now removing this limitation. It is already done for French Wikisource and Dutch Wikipedia. Your project is one of the next ones:

  • 18. May: Farsi Wikipedia, English Wikivoyage, Hebrew Wikipedia
  • 1. June: Italian Wikipedia, all remaining Wikisource

We hope to have it rolled out nearly everywhere by the end of June 2015.

We invite you to play around with this new feature if you are one of the people who have been waiting for this for a long time. If you have technical issues/questions with this you can come to d:Wikidata:Contact the development team.

A note of caution: Please be careful with how many items you use for a single page. If it is too many pages, loading might get slow. We will have to see how the feature behaves in production to see where we need to tweak and how.

How to use it, once it is enabled:

Cheers Lydia Pintscher 15:19, 13 May 2015 (UTC)

Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections 2015[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation logo - vertical (2012-2016).svg

This is a message from the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee. Translations are available.

Voting has begun for eligible voters in the 2015 elections for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. Questions and discussion with the candidates for the Board will continue during the voting.

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees is the ultimate governing authority of the Wikimedia Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization registered in the United States. The Wikimedia Foundation manages many diverse projects such as Wikipedia and Commons.

The voting phase lasts from 00:00 UTC May 17 to 23:59 UTC May 31. Click here to vote. More information on the candidates and the elections can be found on the 2015 Board election page on Meta-Wiki.

On behalf of the Elections Committee,
-Gregory Varnum (User:Varnent)
Volunteer Coordinator, 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 17:20, 17 May 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

Tech News: 2015-21[edit]

15:18, 18 May 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-22[edit]

16:12, 25 May 2015 (UTC)

Wikidata: Access to data from arbitrary items is here[edit]

Unfortunately, this is unlikely to be happen on oldwikisource, unless if this bug can be fixed. --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 08:17, 22 June 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-23[edit]

15:30, 1 June 2015 (UTC)

Pywikibot compat will no longer be supported - Please migrate to pywikibot core[edit]

Sorry for English, I hope someone translates this.
Pywikibot (then "Pywikipediabot") was started back in 2002. In 2007 a new branch (formerly known as "rewrite", now called "core") was started from scratch using the MediaWiki API. The developers of Pywikibot have decided to stop supporting the compat version of Pywikibot due to bad performance and architectural errors that make it hard to update, compared to core. If you are using pywikibot compat it is likely your code will break due to upcoming MediaWiki API changes (e.g. T101524). It is highly recommended you migrate to the core framework. There is a migration guide, and please contact us if you have any problem.

There is an upcoming MediaWiki API breaking change that compat will not be updated for. If your bot's name is in this list, your bot will most likely break.

Thank you,
The Pywikibot development team, 19:30, 5 June 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-24[edit]

15:21, 8 June 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-25[edit]

15:04, 15 June 2015 (UTC)

HTTPS[edit]

22:00, 19 June 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-26[edit]

15:23, 22 June 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-27[edit]

15:56, 29 June 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-28[edit]

15:13, 6 July 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-29[edit]

15:06, 13 July 2015 (UTC)

Working towards parallel text of Swahili Tales[edit]

I'm starting to proofread the text for Swahili Tales, which was started here several years ago. This is something I've meant to do for a long time; I originally typed in the Swahili text from a book in my college library about 25 years ago. I'm hoping eventually to present the work as Swahili text and English translation in standalone versions, and combined in a parallel text version. I've listed a number of attempts to format the text here, and would appreciate it very much if anyone would look the work over and make comments/suggestions here or on my talk page. Thanks. Mudbringer (talk) 15:05, 20 July 2015 (UTC)

PS, the image quality of the djvu file is rather poor, so I'd recommend inspecting the images on archive.org. Mudbringer (talk) 15:16, 20 July 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-30[edit]

03:05, 21 July 2015 (UTC)

Proposal to create PNG thumbnails of static GIF images[edit]

The thumbnail of this gif is of really bad quality.
How a PNG thumb of this GIF would look like

There is a proposal at the Commons Village Pump requesting feedback about the thumbnails of static GIF images: It states that static GIF files should have their thumbnails created in PNG. The advantages of PNG over GIF would be visible especially with GIF images using an alpha channel. (compare the thumbnails on the side)

This change would affect all wikis, so if you support/oppose or want to give general feedback/concerns, please post them to the proposal page. Thank you. --McZusatz (talk) & MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 05:08, 24 July 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-31[edit]

15:05, 27 July 2015 (UTC)

What does a Healthy Community look like to you?[edit]

Community Health Cover art News portal.png

Hi,
The Community Engagement department at the Wikimedia Foundation has launched a new learning campaign. The WMF wants to record community impressions about what makes a healthy online community. Share your views and/or create a drawing and take a chance to win a Wikimania 2016 scholarship! Join the WMF as we begin a conversation about Community Health. Contribute a drawing or answer the questions on the campaign's page.

Why get involved?[edit]

The world is changing. The way we relate to knowledge is transforming. As the next billion people come online, the Wikimedia movement is working to bring more users on the wiki projects. The way we interact and collaborate online are key to building sustainable projects. How accessible are Wikimedia projects to newcomers today? Are we helping each other learn?
Share your views on this matter that affects us all!
We invite everyone to take part in this learning campaign. Wikimedia Foundation will distribute one Wikimania Scholarship 2016 among those participants who are eligible.

More information[edit]


Happy editing!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:08, 1 August 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-32[edit]

15:51, 3 August 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-33[edit]

14:57, 10 August 2015 (UTC)

@Crower, George Mel: Please fix! --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 02:08, 27 August 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-34[edit]

16:17, 17 August 2015 (UTC)

How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?[edit]

My apologies for posting this message in English. Please help translate it if you can.

Hello,

The Wikimedia Foundation would like your feedback about how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants, to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project. Ways to participate:

Feedback is welcome in any language.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) through MediaWiki message delivery. 00:39, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-35[edit]

13:02, 24 August 2015 (UTC)

Class .tiInherit doesn't overwrite text-indent[edit]

@Candalua, Zyephyrus:Template:Center should avoid that centered paragraphs inherit text-indent=2em from .pagetext. Probably the class "tiInherit" stated by Template:Center for its div means "text-indent:inherit", but some code/some css is lacking. Can you take a look? The following three elemens should be centered, but they are not:


test


--Alex brollo (talk) 14:16, 30 August 2015 (UTC)

what about {{center|{{Rule|4em}}test{{Rule|4em}}}}

test

This one don't work:

<div class="pagetext">{{Rule|4em}}{{center|test}}{{Rule|4em}}</div>


test


as it add a paragraph. Note that both center and rule template add unnecessary line-feed, so I guess the extra paragraph come from them, I'm unsure if it wise to try to fix the template if they are already used a lot. — Phe 15:18, 30 August 2015 (UTC)

Thanks Phe. Perhaps it's only a matter of use - it.source states text-indent:0 for center. --Alex brollo (talk) 20:05, 30 August 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-36[edit]

21:36, 31 August 2015 (UTC)

Introducing the Wikimedia public policy site[edit]

Hi all,

We are excited to introduce a new Wikimedia Public Policy site. The site includes resources and position statements on access, copyright, censorship, intermediary liability, and privacy. The site explains how good public policy supports the Wikimedia projects, editors, and mission.

Visit the public policy portal: https://policy.wikimedia.org/

Please help translate the statements on Meta Wiki. You can read more on the Wikimedia blog.

Thanks,

Yana and Stephen (Talk) 18:12, 2 September 2015 (UTC)

(Sent with the Global message delivery system)

Open call for Individual Engagement Grants[edit]

My apologies for posting this message in English. Please help translate it if you can.

Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants program is accepting proposals until September 29th to fund new tools, community-building processes, and other experimental ideas that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), Individual Engagement Grants can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.

Thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 20:52, 4 September 2015 (UTC)

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) through MediaWiki message delivery.

Permission to run a local bot[edit]

I (t.i. User:Alex brollo) drive a core bot into a couple of project (its main activity was into it.wikisource as it:User:Alebot); I created here a User:BrolloBot page, since I see some work to do mainly into Category:Napulitano pages, obvioulsy after requests/discussions with active users in that language.

I can't find into Help pages how to request the permission to run a bot here: can you help me? In meantime, can I run some tests (adding Iwpage templates - adding categories - standardizing Rh and similar simple tasks)? --BrolloBot (talk) 13:47, 5 September 2015 (UTC)

Symbol support vote.svg Support, of course. Let's notify the two active bureaucrats: @Ooswesthoesbes, Zyephyrus:--Erasmo Barresi (talk) 15:32, 14 September 2015 (UTC)
Thanks Erasmo. I0m running first test into pages of Index:Miseria e nobiltà.djvu; I'll try to upload the djvu OCR after some pre-elaboration (categorization, precomplied rh template, some basic OCR fix). --Alex brollo (talk) 16:51, 19 September 2015 (UTC)
First test run with good result. --Alex brollo (talk) 09:54, 21 September 2015 (UTC)
Looking good. Let's wait until the 28th (one week passes) if Zyephyrus reacts, and otherwise I'll grant the flag. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 15:09, 26 September 2015 (UTC)
Granted. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 06:30, 28 September 2015 (UTC)
@Ooswesthoesbes: Thanks :-) Alex brollo (talk) 10:05, 28 September 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-37[edit]

17:29, 7 September 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-38[edit]

16:17, 14 September 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-39[edit]

18:29, 21 September 2015 (UTC)

Only one week left for Individual Engagement Grant proposals![edit]

(Apologies for using English below, please help translate if you are able.)

There is still one week left to submit Individual Engagement Grant (IEG) proposals before the September 29th deadline. If you have ideas for new tools, community-building processes, and other experimental projects that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers, start your proposal today! Please encourage others who have great ideas to apply as well. Support is available if you want help turning your idea into a grant request.

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources 21:01, 22 September 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-40[edit]

15:15, 28 September 2015 (UTC)

Reimagining WMF grants report[edit]

(My apologies for using English here, please help translate if you are able.)

Last month, we asked for community feedback on a proposal to change the structure of WMF grant programs. Thanks to the 200+ people who participated! A report on what we learned and changed based on this consultation is now available.

Come read about the findings and next steps as WMF’s Community Resources team begins to implement changes based on your feedback. Your questions and comments are welcome on the outcomes discussion page.

With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF) 16:56, 28 September 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-41[edit]

18:32, 5 October 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-42[edit]

16:28, 12 October 2015 (UTC)

Index:The Moabite Stone A Fac-simile of the Original Inscription.pdf[edit]

Majority of this work is english barring the stone? ShakespeareFan00 (talk) 14:41, 13 October 2015 (UTC)

An offline djvu editor[edit]

Just to let you know that I'm working about a djvu text editor; its aim is, to fix OCR scannos (both text and text structure) into the djvu text layer, before uploading the djvu file into Commons to use it in proofreading wikisource work. The editor allows to fix the text, saving its mapping, with a simple interface, similar to the wikisource proofreading interface for nsPage. Here a screenshot: https://it.wikisource.org/wiki/File:Screenshot_djvu_editor.png

I'm developing it into a WinXP environment, using python (with PyQuery module) , imagemagick, and DjvuLibre library. I'd like to share the code with any of you (keep into consideration that the code is very rough, simply it runs in my hands...) --Alex brollo (talk) 09:10, 19 October 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-43[edit]

16:02, 19 October 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-44[edit]

18:04, 26 October 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-45[edit]

16:42, 2 November 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-46[edit]

17:18, 9 November 2015 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey[edit]

Community Tech Team via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:57, 9 November 2015 (UTC)

Wikimania 2016 scholarships ambassadors needed[edit]

Hello! Wikimania 2016 scholarships will soon be open; by the end of the week we'll form the committee and we need your help, see Scholarship committee for details.

If you want to carefully review nearly a thousand applications in January, you might be a perfect committee member. Otherwise, you can volunteer as "ambassador": you will observe all the committee activities, ensure that people from your language or project manage to apply for a scholarship, translate scholarship applications written in your language to English and so on. Ambassadors are allowed to ask for a scholarship, unlike committee members.

Wikimania 2016 scholarships subteam 10:48, 10 November 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-47[edit]

19:39, 16 November 2015 (UTC)

Harassment consultation[edit]

Please help translate to your language

The Community Advocacy team the Wikimedia Foundation has opened a consultation on the topic of harassment on Meta. The consultation period is intended to run for one month from today, November 16, and end on December 17. Please share your thoughts there on harassment-related issues facing our communities and potential solutions. (Note: this consultation is not intended to evaluate specific cases of harassment, but rather to discuss the problem of harassment itself.)

Regards, Community Advocacy, Wikimedia Foundation

Hindi-like spamming[edit]

Recently, I've seen a lot of single-to few edit users creating user pages and main namespace pages in a Hindi-like language. I suspect this to be spamming, as no categories are added, nor any pages link to it. Shall we just delete and block it, or can anybody tell me more about this? --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 12:35, 20 November 2015 (UTC)

Do you have any more information? I can look at them and see if they're intelligible - I speak Hindi. Aryamanarora (talk) 20:54, 30 November 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-48[edit]

20:26, 23 November 2015 (UTC)

Your input requested on the proposed #FreeBassel banner campaign[edit]

This is a message regarding the proposed 2015 Free Bassel banner. Translations are available.

Hi everyone,

This is to inform all Wikimedia contributors that a straw poll seeking your involvement has just been started on Meta-Wiki.

As some of your might be aware, a small group of Wikimedia volunteers have proposed a banner campaign informing Wikipedia readers about the urgent situation of our fellow Wikipedian, open source software developer and Creative Commons activist, Bassel Khartabil. An exemplary banner and an explanatory page have now been prepared, and translated into about half a dozen languages by volunteer translators.

We are seeking your involvement to decide if the global Wikimedia community approves starting a banner campaign asking Wikipedia readers to call on the Syrian government to release Bassel from prison. We understand that a campaign like this would be unprecedented in Wikipedia's history, which is why we're seeking the widest possible consensus among the community.

Given Bassel's urgent situation and the resulting tight schedule, we ask everyone to get involved with the poll and the discussion to the widest possible extent, and to promote it among your communities as soon as possible.

(Apologies for writing in English; please kindly translate this message into your own language.)

Thank you for your participation!

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 21:47, 25 November 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

Tech News: 2015-49[edit]

16:16, 30 November 2015 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey[edit]

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:39, 1 December 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-50[edit]

17:52, 7 December 2015 (UTC)

new Wsexport instance[edit]

hello, the new version of WSexport is available at the new location. Admins, please update the link to WSexport on MediaWiki:Common.js:
current (line 76) -> 'http://wsexport.wmflabs.org/tool/book.php?lang=www&format=epub&page=' + mw.config.get('wgPageName'),
new link -> 'https://tools.wmflabs.org/wsexport/tool/book.php?lang=www&format=epub&page=' + mw.config.get('wgPageName'),

thanks, Zdzislaw (talk) 16:33, 9 December 2015 (UTC)

Done. Tpt (talk) 19:09, 10 December 2015 (UTC)

Unknown namespaces: Gadget, Topic and other[edit]

While using Advanced search, I saw some unknowun namespaces: Gadget, Gadget definition, Topic. They seem unused here, where can I find some doc about? Thanks! --Alex brollo (talk) 14:48, 13 December 2015 (UTC)

not yet used on wikis, see: en:Wikisource:Scriptorium/Archives/2015-10#New namespaces.3F, Zdzislaw (talk) 16:56, 13 December 2015 (UTC)
@Zdzislaw: Thanks! I see a brief mention of new nsGadget into the immediately following Tech news from mediawiki; luckily here I've not sysop privileges, so I can simply wait and see :-) --Alex brollo (talk) 07:57, 15 December 2015 (UTC)

Tech News: 2015-51[edit]

17:42, 14 December 2015 (UTC)

Categorize templates/scripts/gadgets by user groups[edit]

We - a little group of users coming from it.source and presently working here as "nap.source", @C.R.: being our leader - are introducing some templates, modules and js scripts (tha latter into user subpages, as "personal shared tools"). I'm going to categorize them in some way, probably into a Category:Nap tools, just to keep trace of them. I encourage other groups to do the same, and - if possible - to add a brief doc in English, just to share best ideas among smaller projects. --Alex brollo (talk) 18:29, 17 December 2015 (UTC)

It is indeed a problem that there is no clear guideline on how pages are to be categorized. Often, tests have many different categories and not one single category containing all talk pages, templates and content pages. For importers (if a language gets its own domain), such a category makes life a lot easier. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 19:03, 18 December 2015 (UTC)
@Alex brollo: the idea sounds good for me, I support sharing of tools between various projects; but I would like to get some clarifications, regarding some points:
  1. When I look into Category:Nap tools, I see there items with names like Content, Type, looking like standard English names, and implying that these items might have usage, not limited by any local-wikisource and tending to be universal. And it seems to me that you are intending to have collected there all the tools which are somehow used inside of pages of the Neapoitan wikisource (including that tools which are not neapolitan-specific but nevertheless used in the Nap-WS). Alex: do I correctly understand the idea of this category? (I put this question not for criticizing, but just to get more clear understanding for the idea.)
  2. If such language categories would be created — like Category:Nap tools, Category:Mdf tools (for the Mokshan WS which is cared by me), Category:Pl tools (for the Polish WS) etc. — then some additional root category should be created which would contain all these categories. Such root category would be convenient for seeing which local tools do exist at all, and to browse them easily.
  3. And some remark (maybe too pedantic): I think that the category name in the shape <lang-code> tools (Category:Nap tools, Category:Mdf tools, Category:Pl tools etc.) is slightly confusing, because it appears to indicate that the tools inside it are language-specific, althoug they are rather language-wikisource-specific. And I think that the category, in the case of the Neapolitan, should be named like Nap-wikisource tools, or even Neapolitan wikisource tools, — this name would make more clear that it holds tools related to to the language wikisource and not to the language itself. --Nigmont (talk) 20:51, 18 December 2015 (UTC)
@Nigmont, C.R.: Thanks for interest and suggestions. Yes, you are right, my dream would be - as I told into a previos talk - that mul.source would be the "container" for anything useful into any wikisource project, so my effort is to work for nap.wikisource but for any other user of mul.wikisource. English could perhaps make things easier.
About names of categories: you are right again, thanks for suggestion. There's a global category for nap.source items: Category:Napulitano, it would be great to rename it into Category:Neapolitan wikisource with well-organized subcategories Category:Neapolitan wikisource texts, Category:Neapolitan wikisource tools.... but it's too heavily populated to change its name; on the contrary, Category:Nap tools collects so few pages, that its a very easy task to rename it, as soon as your proposal will be discussed into our small user community. And I hope that this discussion will be useful and inspiring for other small projects hosted here. Alex brollo (talk) 21:19, 18 December 2015 (UTC)
@Alex brollo: I think that the Category:Napulitano is quite a different case: this name is the name of the language of the works which are stored inside the category, and this name is written in the same language in which the works have been written themselves, and it's good for this category to be named so; and I think Category:Napulitano should not be renamed (even if it would be easy to do such renaming). But the category for language-wikisource tools is intented to be exposed not only to users of the local wikisource (who know the language) but to any other users as well, so IMO this category should be named, firstly, in English, and secondly, its name must clearly show that this category contains tools used in the Wikisource of that particular language (though some of those tools may be not specific to that language WS). --Nigmont (talk) 22:26, 18 December 2015 (UTC)

@Alex brollo: according to discussion above, I created Category:Wikisource tools, and I propose to use it for storing categories like Category:Neapolitan wikisource tools, Category:Mokshan wikisource tools (created by me, I included in it some templates used in the Mokshan WS) etc. I already included there Category:Mokshan wikisource tools, and propose to do the same for the Neapolitan one — include it there (along with including in the Category:Napulitano). --Nigmont (talk) 16:03, 21 December 2015 (UTC)

@Nigmont, C.R.: Yes check.svg Done Alex brollo (talk) 16:14, 21 December 2015 (UTC)
Thanks for the approach, it will be useful for the export, and at the same time the tools are open and can be inside other categories, not necessarily lang-specific--C.R. (talk) 20:52, 22 December 2015 (UTC)

Get involved in Wikipedia 15![edit]

This is a message from the Wikimedia Foundation. Translations are available.

International-Space-Station wordmark blue.svg

As many of you know, January 15 is Wikipedia’s 15th Birthday!

People around the world are getting involved in the celebration and have started adding their events on Meta Page. While we are celebrating Wikipedia's birthday, we hope that all projects and affiliates will be able to utilize this celebration to raise awareness of our community's efforts.

Haven’t started planning? Don’t worry, there’s lots of ways to get involved. Here are some ideas:

Everything is linked on the Wikipedia 15 Meta page. You’ll find a set of ten data visualization works that you can show at your events, and a list of all the Wikipedia 15 logos that community members have already designed.

If you have any questions, please contact Zachary McCune or Joe Sutherland.

Thanks and Happy nearly Wikipedia 15!
-The Wikimedia Foundation Communications team

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery, 20:58, 18 December 2015 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageHelp

Tech News: 2015-52[edit]

18:29, 21 December 2015 (UTC)

Bot upload of pre-formatted OCR[edit]

@Zyephyrus, C.R.: I'm using my bot to upload FineReader 11 OCR of some neapolitan books, got after some offline work on original djvu images (by ScanTailor or using internal tools of FineReader 11). I know that OCR upload is not appreciated into some projects, but consider that I do this for djvu files that have no OCR layer (i.e. Index:Nu guaglione 'e mala vita.djvu), and that uploaded text has a useful pre-formatting ({{Rh}}, use of {{Noindent}} and {{Outdent}}, language categorization), so making user editing faster and easier. If I'm breaking some mul.source rule, please tell me. --Alex brollo (talk) 21:55, 27 December 2015 (UTC)

If the reason is development/improvement I would say —go for it; many projects use bot actions as this without necessarily disturbing our "amanuense" pace of check & review, but rather improving our performance.--C.R. (talk) 23:46, 27 December 2015 (UTC)
I agree! lots of OCRs from Internet Archive or other sources were helped by external tools. When asked third question in our Wikisource Tenth birthday interview:
"What do you think Wikisource's greatest achievement is so far?"
I had answered:
"Togetherness; all librarians and lovers of texts in the world working together to rescue texts."
I am happy if this is still true. :-)
--Zyephyrus (talk) 13:51, 28 December 2015 (UTC)
@Zyephyrus: Thanks Zyephyrus. I agree so much that I would like to add at the end of your statement "... working into a unique project", but I found that this dream is both impossible (by now) and not so widely shared.... mul.source being the only project where something like this (t.i. different groups of users from many countries and using many languages, sharing the same environment, the same tools....) could happen. --Alex brollo (talk) 08:30, 29 December 2015 (UTC)