Talk:Main Page/Basa Jawa
I've had a quick look at w:Javanese literature, and cant see many specific books mentioned. The only one that stands out is the Bible was translated to Javanese, but I cant see any details about it on w:jv:Alkitab. When was it published? What was it called? Is there an online edition anywhere? etc. John Vandenberg 10:49, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
- I have set up an English transcription project that might interest people here: s:en:Index:Life in Java Volume 1.djvu John Vandenberg 11:15, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
One of the first works that is usually added to a new Wikisource language is The Lord's Prayer. I am not suggesting it is the most important and I realise it is from a religion that is not as common in Java, but if possible, it would be nice if we add a Javanese version to the collection. John Vandenberg 12:53, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
We need to get Revi in on this; I will drop him a note. He's been at Wikimania and may be taking a few days off.
I'm not familiar with Javanese literature, but the en page you linked offers w:en:Wayang and there's w:jv:Wayang; this is traditional Javanese theatre. This goes back many centuries. w:jv:Wayang kulit, for example, is a form of
sock-puppetry shadow-puppetry. Anyway, these are core to Javanese culture and any that are available would likely be public domain.
As a non-Javanese speaker, I would expect that the area I can help with is more the technical side. Looks like I'm gonna need another user page; Cheers, Jack Merridew 14:07, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
- Thank you for starting this discussion. The Bible I think was translated in Javanese in the beginning of the 19th century by different persons. Those Bibles are however in Javanese script, so those must be translated first. I don't know what is Wikisource's stand on facmisiles and/or scans? Cheers. Meursault2004 15:39, 22 July 2008 (UTC)
- We would want the Javanese script, and we love scans. We want high fidelity and precise provenance. Lower quality work is acceptable, in the interests of completeness, but it is high quality work with pages that become "featured texts". John Vandenberg 23:22, 22 July 2008 (UTC)
- I meant to transliterate and not to translate. Well I hope I can find scans. Meursault2004 13:48, 6 October 2008 (UTC)
we're in multilingual space here
So pages such as Sastra Jawa Kuna are not really where they belong. right? I would think one of the really, really next steps would be to create the jv.wikisource.org subdomain. Hmmm... Cheers, Jack Merridew 12:50, 22 July 2008 (UTC)
I've categorized some with Category:Javanese, but am unsure about it; TBD. Cheers, Jack Merridew 13:01, 22 July 2008 (UTC)
- We name pages here as if they were on their own domain : i.e. in the native language. To request a new Wikisource sub-domain we need a decent body of work (e.g. 1000 distinct works is definitely enough), a group of contributors that intend to keep it moving, and I would prefer to see some works that have images of the text to be sure that the new project is going to be full of quality sources. I also like to see the "Javanese literature" Wikipedia page to be well developed; it doesnt need to be the English edition of the Wikipedia page.
- Category:Javanese is ok. see Wikisource:Languages for other examples. John Vandenberg 14:55, 22 July 2008 (UTC)
- See also meta:Requests for new languages/Wikisource Venetian, meta:Requests for new languages/Wikisource Malay, meta:Requests for new languages/Wikisource Sakha, and meta:Requests for new languages/Wikisource Basque. There are many more requests that are being rejected because they are too small. John Vandenberg 15:00, 22 July 2008 (UTC)
- You said e.g. 1000 distinct works is definitely enough. Do you mean 1000 different titles? Meursault2004 13:55, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
- Yes. John Vandenberg 03:48, 6 October 2008 (UTC)
- Wow that's a lot. But not impossible. However there are books with more than 1000 pages each and very short poems. Meursault2004 13:47, 6 October 2008 (UTC)
Enable local upload for admins
Hello everyone, do you agree that the new project would enable local upload for admin only? Bennylin (talk) 11:45, 24 June 2021 (UTC)