This page provides the framework for displaying the language ability of users on their user page. This helps with communication by listing the languages and the level thereof the user can understand.
Census in Babel
Example of language skill box
Not everyone at Wikisource speaks the same language. To help with communication Users can categorize themselves into different language categories on their user page. Example language groups are: en for English, de for German, and so on. Additionally, users can specify their level of proficiency in the language.
- 1 stands for basic knowledge, i.e. the ability to understand and answer simple questions in the language.
- 2 stands for intermediate knowledge.
- 3 stands for advanced or fluent knowledge, i.e. the ability to correct spelling and grammar errors in the language.
- Category without number stands for native language speakers (so-called mother tongue).
For example, de-1 refers to a user with basic skills in German, and en-3 refers to a user with advanced skills in English. The two-letter language code is the two-letter code as described in ISO 639. (See Complete list of language wikis available and Commons:Commons:Babel).
Here is a sample of parser usage: see the example of language skill box on the above.
To draw the box above you write as the below:
If you include this babel code, your user page is now listed in the Category:user en-3 and Category:user en for English, Category:user es-1 and Category:user es for Spanish, all of which are subcategories of Category:Users.
Current work... (Add your language here if it isn't in the next list)
Quarters of Babel
Babel templates are used on some other projects including
- ast: Asturian Wikipedia
- ca: Catalan-Valencian Wikipedia
- de: German Wikipedia
- en: English Wikipedia
- es: Spanish Wikipedia
- fr: French Wikipedia
- hi: Hindi Wikipedia
- id: Indonesian Wikipedia
- blk: Pa'O Wikipedia
- it: Italian Wikipedia
- ja: Japanese Wikipedia
- ko: Korean Wikipedia
- mi: Maori Wikipedia
- na: Nauruan Wikipedia
- nl: Dutch (Netherlands) Wikipedia
- pt: Portuguese Wikipedia
- simple: Simple English Wikipedia
- sl: Slovenian Wikipedia
- sr: Serbian Wikipedia
- n:fr: French Wikinews
- Commons: Wikimedia Commons
Some new attempts are going on including
- Project lang oriented
- Improvement of usability
- w:de: German Wikipedia Template to put Babel templates
- w:en: English Wikipedia Template to put Babel templates
- w:blk: Pa'O Wikipedia Template to put Babel templates
- w:es: Spanish Wikipedia Template to put Babel templates
- w:fr: French Wikipedia Template to put Babel templates
- n:fr: French Wikinews Template to put Babel templates
- Commons: Wikimedia Commons Template to put Babel templates