Wikisource:Scriptorium/Archives/Jan 2012 - Dec 2012

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

etherpad + bugzilla + weblog Downtime again tonight[edit]

The maintenace for db9 was successfully completed but some followup maintenace is needed. As a result, you might have trouble with Wikimedia's Etherpad or Bugzilla or CiviCRM sites/services tonight. If interruption continues after 1820 PST please tell us in #wikimedia-tech (webchat link). — MarkAHershberger(talk) 15:28, 22 December 2011 (UTC)


Wsexport : an automatic export tool for Wikisource fr[edit]

French Wikisource is working on an export tool in epub, odt and others formats. He is join to a website that automatically provide list of books from a category that mark that books are good for export. He works now only for the French Wikisource but we can imagine that he can be used for the others one. You are invited to test it here. The book metadatas harvesting in Wikisource is possible with this microformat implemented in most of French Wikisource templates. We will be glad if people of the others Wikisource works with us to provide a very good export of books ! The source-code of the tool and the website is available here. All help is welcome ! Tpt 21:13, 28 December 2011 (UTC)

WOW!!! We surely want to try it for Italian Wikisource! What do we need to do and how can we help you? Candalua 22:19, 28 December 2011 (UTC)

This is awesome! As Candalua, I'm definetely interested in this. How we (Italian Wikisource, and maybe Wikimedia Italia) can help you? How could we start testing our books (do you think we could use your code to run our site as well?) Aubrey 00:04, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
The stand alone export tool is now available on the toolserver. You can try it for books of non-French Wikisources but it won't work fine until you implement the microformat in the book templates like Intestazione or Prooferead_pages_header_template. When it will be done the export tool can include many metadata on books and remove navigation templates that were "ws-export" html class. We can imagine also provide italian books in a website, the same like the French one or an other one from the same source. We are waiting you on github ! Tpt 11:14, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
To implement the microformat, get a look a the end of fr:Modèle:Proofreadpage header template at the end of the template, the whole block of code <div id="ws-data" class="ws-noexport" style="display:none; speak:none;">..........</div> export the necessary data used by the export tool. — Phe 11:26, 29 December 2011 (UTC)

Great! I added some microformat info on it.source (title, author, translator, year for the moment) and it seems to get them. I also added class="ws-noexport" in MediaWiki:Proofreadpage pagenum template, to hide unnecessary page links. There's just a small annoyance because in our Pages we have a <span class="SAL" that contains the page quality (useful to show it in the pagelinks), is it possible to hide it from the ePub?

Also, is it possibile to call the toolserver page passing along the language, the page title, and the file format? So that we can generate a link "Export in ePub" directly from the Header template?

Thanks very much to all of you for this amazing work! Candalua 14:25, 29 December 2011 (UTC)

For the <span class="SAL" the ws-noexport is maybe your help. Call the toolserver is of course possible with the "lang", "page" and "format" url params. Tpt 15:24, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
Yes, more generally I was thinking about the possibility of including a stylesheet on the ePub, so that every wikisource can create a page like Mediawiki:EPub.css with the styles they need to be included. It's true that we can simply add the necessary styles inline, but the page's html becomes heavier, and not all styles fit well both in the browser and in the ePub, sometimes you can have the need to render an element differently in the ePub and in the regular html page. What do you think? Candalua 16:07, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
It' not a bad idea. I will work on that tomorrow. Tpt 16:42, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
It's done. You can now use MediaWiki:Epub.css to provide css to epub files. Tpt 20:55, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
Thanks for the nice tool, i have added a css to de.ws and will try the css, if the tool is online again. Greetings --Michail 23:23, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
The tool is online again. I have make a mistake. Tpt 08:53, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
marvellous tool!
here a small bug: some of the original links into the text of pages lack of http: string, they appear as --src="//it.wikisource.org" instead of src="http://it.wikisource.org". Easy to fix I presume. I found it into the ePub from it:Georgiche.djvu. --Alex brollo 12:24, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
It's fixed. Tpt 16:25, 30 December 2011 (UTC)

Hello Tpt, is anywhere another place to post bugs? I have found small issues, and i think this thread here is not the perfect place for posting issues. But until we have a any bugfixing reporting tool (or whatever) i post the bugs that i found, also here. First: I think your bugfix for the issue one befor was not perfect, because links to the same page, anchor links like this <a href="#cite_note-33">, shows now a little bit strange ;-) <a href="http:#cite_note-33">. Here is now a http: what should not there. Second: It's a problem with german umlauts. You create the names of epub-file and included xhtml files a little bit wrong. You replace the german umlauts ü with eu, ä with ea and ö with eo. The correct replacement will be ue, ae and oe. It would be nice if you could fix these two small issues. And i have to say, it's a very cool tool. Greetings and i wish you and everyone a happy new year --Michail 00:52, 1 January 2012 (UTC)

What about adding epub files to the list of uploadable ones here? :-) --Alex brollo 06:56, 1 January 2012 (UTC)
For bugs, I've created a page on fr Wikisource. The bug with footnote is corrected. It's working again. For umlauts, it's strange,my regular expression only remove accentuation from letters, by exemple ü give u. But I think it's not important : nobody unzip the file. Happy new year ! Tpt 15:18, 1 January 2012 (UTC)
By the way, uploading EPub files is not allowed to commons because a EPUB sanitizer has to be writen first as indicated in this bug. Would you dare to write one? --Micru 21:12, 8 January 2012 (UTC)

Hi Tpt, congratulations on your work! By the way, have you considered merging your efforts with Extension:EPubExport, or reusing some of their code? There were some comments about this extension in Bugzilla --Micru 16:18, 1 January 2012 (UTC)

Upload of epub files is already possible here, just register (Alex, you're already registered). Nemo 14:08, 2 January 2012 (UTC)

LjL-2012 on IRC said he found this: https://code.google.com/p/wikipediaconv/ . Doesn't seem very useful (full dump to ePub??) nor able to generate good output, but seems worth testing if someone has Windows, just to try. Nemo 18:04, 4 January 2012 (UTC)

Interesting. I'll test it and read the source code. Tpt 17:14, 9 January 2012 (UTC)

An other thing : is someone volunteer to create a logo for the export tool and website(s) ? It will be a grate improvement. Tpt 20:11, 10 January 2012 (UTC)

Export tool integrate now a internationalisation system that works with a MediaWiki:Wsexport i18n.ini file. The reference file is here. An exemple in fr Wikisource Tpt 22:15, 13 January 2012 (UTC)

Can't you use translatewiki:? It's much better than spreading translation and documentation on dozens of websites where translators can't even edit it. Thanks, Nemo 22:37, 13 January 2012 (UTC)


I've started Wikisource:WSexport, to gather all informations about the necessary configuration. Candalua 15:09, 15 January 2012 (UTC)

Shouldn't WSexport become a Mediawiki extension the same way as Extension:Proofread Page did?--Micru 16:32, 30 January 2012 (UTC)
Maybe. But the integration will be an hard work. I'll work on that when I've more time. Tpt 17:34, 31 January 2012 (UTC)

माझगाव - पूर्वीच्या मुंबईच्या सात बेटांपैकी एक बेट[edit]

पूर्वीच्या मुंबईच्या सात बेटांपैकी एक बेट माझगाव : माझगाव हा शब्द माझं गाव आणि माझागोन (माझगाव वर पोर्तुगीज राज्य करीत होते) तर केथेलिक ह्याला माझगोन असेही म्हणत होते. हे सात बेटांपैकी एक बेट होय. माझगाव हा दक्षिण मुंबईचा विभाग असून रेल्वेच्या भायखला स्टेशन व हार्बरच्या डॉकयार्ड व सेंडहर्स्ट रोड स्टेशनने जोडले गेले आहे. माझगाव मध्ये केंद्र सरकारी संस्था जशा, मुंबई पोर्ट ट्रस्ट आणि माझगाव डॉक लिमिटेड असून, माझगाव कोर्ट किंवा न्यायालय देखील येथे आहे. इतकेच नव्हे तर येथे अेन्गलो इंडिअन शाळा असून त्यामध्ये सेंट पीटर आणि सेंट मेरी यांचा समावेश आहे.

माझगाव हा शब्द संस्कृत शब्द मत्स्य ग्राम या शब्दापासून तयार झाला आहे असे म्हणतात. याचा अर्थ माशांचा गाव असा होतो. येथील मूळ रहिवाशी हे आगरी आणि कोळी समाजाचे होते. याचबरोबर असेही मानण्यात येते कि माझगाव हा शब्द मराठी माझं गाव ह्या शब्दापासून तयार झाला आहे असे म्हणतात. माझगाव हा शब्द पोर्तुगीजान्पासून सुद्धा तयार झाला असावा असे म्हटले जाते. पूर्वीच्या काळी माझगाव हा विभाग आंब्याच्या झाडांसाठी फार प्रसिद्द होता. २० व्या शतकात देखील यांतील काही जाती दिसून आल्यात. हे छोटेसे बेट उत्तरेकडे वाढना-या छोट्या छोट्या डोंगरानि आणि बंदराकडील बाजूकडे किना-यांनी वेढलेले असून कोंकणाची आठवण करून देते. unsigned comment by ‎ Mayurteem (talk) 16:32, 30 December 2011.

Sorry, I don't understand Marathi. Can a wikisourcian translate? --Zyephyrus 17:50, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
This seems to be encyclopedic information about w:Mazagaon in Marathi that would be better suited to Marathi Wikipedia. Shall I move it there? Shivashree 05:22, 31 December 2011 (UTC)
Yes, please. Thank you Shivashree! --Zyephyrus 13:25, 31 December 2011 (UTC)
I checked, the article already exists on Marathi Wikipedia with about the same information. I am going to leave as it is without any merge. Mayurteem can add any further encyclopedic information on Marathi Wikipedia. He can certainly add original free source documents here. Shivashree 14:11, 31 December 2011 (UTC)

Comparaison des sites Wikisoure[edit]

Bonjour et Bonne Année à tous, je ne sais plus où trouver le tableau de comparaison de différents Wikisource et leurs politiques respectives (scan, annotations, etc.) - Quelqu'un pourrait-il me redonner l'adresse, svp ? Merci d'avance,

Hello, and Happy New Year (a day late) : I lost the adress of the page which lists all wikisources and compares their policy (scan, notes, etc.) - Could someone point me again to it, please ? Thank you in advance…

--Hsarrazin 11:25, 2 January 2012 (UTC)

Wikisource:Subdomain coordination. --Milda 11:42, 2 January 2012 (UTC)
Merci, Thank you so much !! --Hsarrazin 11:49, 2 January 2012 (UTC)

Aggiungere il supporto al formato epub in "carica un file"[edit]

Chiedo gentilmente a chi se ne occupa di aggiungere il supporto al formato epub in quanto esso è uno standard di fatto ed inoltre è un formato aperto e molto diffuso fra gli e-book reader. Scusate se ho commesso errori ma non conosco molto bene il sito (come utente registrato). GRAZIE PER L'ATTENZIONE

ps. I dont know english very well.

unsigned comment by Jpalex (talk) 12:08, 4 January 2012‎.

Per quale scopo di preciso? Il problema non è tanto caricare file epub quanto esportarne a partire dal contenuto di Wikisource, i documenti nei wiki devono essere modificabili e quindi a livello HTML si continuerà sempre a lavorare sulle pagine wiki. Comunque se serve caricare file epub temporanei per qualche motivo è già possibile farlo in Biblioteca di Wikimedia Italia. Nemo 17:49, 4 January 2012 (UTC)

Announcing Wikipedia 1.19 beta[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation is getting ready to push out 1.19 to all the WMF-hosted wikis. As we finish wrapping up our code review, you can test the new version right now on beta.wmflabs.org. For more information, please read the release notes or the start of the final announcement.

The following are the areas that you will probably be most interested in:

  • Faster loading of javascript files makes dependency tracking more important.
  • New common*.css files usable by skins instead of having to copy piles of generic styles from MonoBook or Vector's css.
  • The default user signature now contains a talk link in addition to the user link.
  • Searching blocked usernames in block log is now clearer.
  • Better timezone recognition in user preferences.
  • Improved diff readability for colorblind people.
  • The interwiki links table can now be accessed also when the interwiki cache is used (used in the API and the Interwiki extension).
  • More gender support (for instance in logs and user lists).
  • Language converter improved, e.g. it now works depending on the page content language.
  • Time and number-formatting magic words also now depend on the page content language.
  • Bidirectional support further improved after 1.18.

Report any problems on the labs beta wiki and we'll work to address them before they software is released to the production wikis.

Note that this cluster does have SUL but it is not integrated with SUL in production, so you'll need to create another account. You should avoid using the same password as you use here. — Global message delivery 16:40, 15 January 2012 (UTC)

Wsexport: an automatic export tool for Wikisource[edit]

Hello, and first sorry for this automatic delivery message.

An export tool for Wikisource books, Wsexport, is currently in active development. It is a tool for exporting Wikisource's texts in EPUB, ODT and other file formats. It was created for French Wikisource, but it's also available for the other Wikisource subdomains. It can be used directly from its page on Toolserver.org (for texts in all languages, use "www" for oldwikisource), or browsing http://wsexport.fr.nf (currently only for French Wikisource's texts).

In order to work, the tool need some configuration from your Wikisource subdomain, This page explains how to do it. Currently French, Italian, English, and German Wikisource does it.

You will find more information on The global Scriptorium. Ask here for all question.

This message was distributed to all Wikisources using the Global message delivery system. If you want to use it to send your messages, ask for permission here. Tpt (d) 21:19, 15 January 2012 (UTC)

Yesterday: Dies ater for the PUBLIC DOMAIN[edit]

Please discuss here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/All_files_copyrighted_in_the_US_under_the_URAA --Historiograf 21:07, 19 January 2012 (UTC)

Vector interface customization[edit]

I'm dragging into vector interface customization, (adding/removing buttons and popups into toolbar [1]; adding/removing tools into sidebar; adding "tattoos"; adding to toolbar draggable() feature; and so on). Don't presume any special js skill by me; I only put into practice the pedia principle "be bold". :-(

Now, I've a bad (but rewarding) attitude to "rediscover the wheel", as my patient it.source fellows know very well; so I'm asking here: is some of you working about similar goal and tricks? Is there a page to discuss this kind of topics to share "just rediscovered wheels"? ;-) --Alex brollo 07:42, 26 January 2012 (UTC)

I’m not working on it (I haven’t any skill in JS !), but I have a little remark : is it for it.ws only or for all the ws ? (or all the wikis ?) In both case, it could maybe be better to work on oldws (or on Translatewiki).
Cdlt, VIGNERON 21:28, 29 January 2012 (UTC)

Marathi WS[edit]

Hi, I imported the Marathi pages to the newly created mr.wikisource.org subdomain (see mr:special:log/import or my userpage there for a list). These can probably be deleted here now. --MF-Warburg 17:17, 7 February 2012 (UTC)

Please enter information as known at Wikisource:Subdomain coordination, so we know the policies and guidelines of the new subdomain.--Jusjih 14:26, 8 February 2012 (UTC)

MediaWiki 1.19[edit]

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.) The Wikimedia Foundation is planning to upgrade MediaWiki (the software powering this wiki) to its latest version this month. You can help to test it before it is enabled, to avoid disruption and breakage. More information is available in the full announcement. Thank you for your understanding.

Guillaume Paumier, via the Global message delivery system (wrong page? You can fix it.). 15:23, 12 February 2012 (UTC)

Import Upload - revisited[edit]

I requested Import Upload privileges back in October (since archived, see this thread). Candalua and Ooswesthoesbes supported, there were no opposes. This action requires a local decision, probably by a crat and a request at the Steward request page on meta. We currently still have the problem that Transwiki import is enabled but broken due to some local settings (I submitted a bugzilla back in November, no action yet Bugzilla:32411). I have been waiting since October to be able to import a template from de.ws that is holding up work on a project but more importantly, we should have a few people around who can do this (Jusjih can, both as a steward and as a local import uploader but 1 person is clearly not enough as they aren't around day-to-day). Additionally, for large imports import upload is more useful. I re-post my request for further consideration or closure.--Doug.(talk contribs) 02:26, 21 February 2012 (UTC)

Stale bots and sysops discussion from last year[edit]

In October I started a thread on accounts with privileges that they don't seem to need: Wikisource:Scriptorium/Archives/Jan_2011_-_Dec_2011#Stale_bots_and_sysops. The thread included at least 4 comments in favor of deflagging Wolfbot and CSNbot and at least 2, maybe 3 for desysopping User:ThomasBot (no comments in favor of the bot remaining a sysop, just questions about whether he's coming back from others). I think we have enough to deflag to the two bots. Can we get that done? I will start a separate thread on the Sysop flag because there are other inactive sysops that we should discuss.--Doug.(talk contribs) 03:26, 21 February 2012 (UTC)


+1 for deflagging all 3 (Wolfbot, CNSbot, ThomasBot). We have currently 4 bureaucrats: excluding -jkb-, the other 3 have been active recently, we can directly ask to one of them. Candalua 13:56, 21 February 2012 (UTC)

Stale Sysops[edit]

Reference the discussion above and the one it references last October, I have started a pro forma desysop discussion on three sysops (ThomasBot, LadyInGrey, and Maximillion Pegasus) at Wikisource:Administrators#Vote_for_removal_of_administrator_privileges. The reasons are entirely for inactivity. I was going to include User:Dungodung but I noticed they have about a dozen recent log actions after some very long periods of inactivity, so I left them out. Please discuss at the Administrators page, not here.--Doug.(talk contribs) 04:08, 21 February 2012 (UTC)

I personally feel that inactivity is not a real valid reason to desysop an admin, so I'm going to abstain from voting. --Ooswesthoesbes 09:54, 23 February 2012 (UTC)
Perdón por el español, es mi lengua nativa y me cuesta expesarme en inglés, aunque lo leo perfectamente. Todas las semanas entro a esta wiki en busca de vandalismos pero hay muchos administradores atentos y cumpliendo bien sus labores. No he editado desde hace mucho pero si consideran mejor que yo deje de ser admin, aceptaré la decisión de la comunidad. Un saludo, --LadyInGrey 03:10, 24 February 2012 (UTC)

Wikisources' software application updated to 1.19wmf1[edit]

Hi to all. Just saw one of the techs pop into the Wikisource IRC channel, and that was a good indication that they have updated our mediawiki software. Please report errors or discrepancies that you see. I am not sure whether you would like to keep a record here of identified issues, or whether you would like to add them at en:WS:S#Issues log for mediawiki update to 1.19wmf1 billinghurst sDrewth 12:29, 24 February 2012 (UTC)

Yep, from what I can tell they did the update on all Wikisources, except here on oldwikisource (see Special:Version). They will probably do this site in the next days.
BTW, we have some problem on it.wikisource: we have some gadgets that add custom buttons to the ProofreadPage toolbar. But after the update they seem to load before the ProofreadPage extension, so they don't work because the toolbar is not loaded. Do you know a solution for this? Candalua 14:19, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
I found the same error: es:Las mujeres de la independencia: 02, 03, 04, 05; 06, 07 ::¿¿(E2.80.94)??. --LadyInGrey 14:46, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
The problem was in MediaWiki:PageNumbers.js, the string "E2.80.94" probably has some special meaning that I don't know. Tell me if you find other pages with this error. Candalua 16:34, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
Thank you, Candalua, --LadyInGrey 17:38, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
Do you know if this problem is related to the upgrade? --Zyephyrus 08:55, 25 February 2012 (UTC)
Special:AbuseFilter/1 is the reason, whether the update has activated your abuse filter or not is unknown. The filter shows that it has been there since the middle of last year. Three ways to tackle it. 1) turn it off (yuck would be my thought); 2) if you think that it is harsh to disallow, then you could change it to Warn; 3) either to disallow or warn, you can create custom message rather than the default which sounds a little melodramatic. billinghurst sDrewth 09:16, 25 February 2012 (UTC)
Thank you sDrewth, this is more understandable for me now. --Zyephyrus 15:55, 25 February 2012 (UTC)

new tool[edit]

There's a new tool for namespace Page, that shows one or more tabs with a link to the texts that trasclude the current page. You can see it in action on Page:Fluors_alpinas.djvu/20 and the following pages (the tab "Text" near the up arrow). It was developed for it.source by it:User:Alex brollo, and it's now available for all subdomains (instructions on MediaWiki:TranscludedIn.js). Candalua (talk) 16:23, 5 March 2012 (UTC)

It doesn't seem to work when the ns0 page title includes a non-letter symbol. Page:Fluors alpinas.djvu/85, a poem with a question mark in the title, ommits the question mark in the link. In "What links here" it works normally, however. This could especially cause issues on pages and subdomains with non-latin script, e.g. our Hindi pages or the Japanese subdomain. --Kazu89 (talk) 17:13, 9 March 2012 (UTC)

Fixed, now it uses the native mediawiki function to get the encoded url. Thank you very much. Candalua (talk) 18:05, 9 March 2012 (UTC)

Changes like this one needs a centralized roll-out. The most active languages have volunteers that can update local templates (MediaWiki:TranscludedIn.js), but this will not happen in the smaller languages, and so we end up with very different levels of functionality. --LA2 (talk) 18:05, 13 March 2012 (UTC)

Help for creating a Wikisource in a new language[edit]

I was trying to find a guide for creating a Wikisource in a new language and couldn't find one. I can write one myself, but i'm just making sure that there isn't one already... Is there? --Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 22:38, 8 March 2012 (UTC)

All can be found here. For Wikisource the process is fairly simple: add a request on the Request for new languages page on meta and start working. --Ooswesthoesbes (talk) 09:40, 9 March 2012 (UTC)
I'm a langcom member, so i know that page fairly well :)
I'm talking more about a detailed technical guide for people who are not experienced with MediaWiki, but want to start a Wikisource in their language, something that would explain how to add your language to the list, how to create a category for it, how to start adding texts, how to sort them to groups, how to makes books and chapters etc. --Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 09:47, 9 March 2012 (UTC)

Problem on Bugzilla[edit]

Take a look at bug 18861 on Bugzilla. In short - at the moment, any content generated by templates is ignored by the search engine, i.e. pages transcluded in proofread extension. That means that over 50% of content on multiple Wikisource projects (i.e. French, Polish or Norvegian) is inaccessible to search engine. However, with recent developments on Bugzilla it seems that the problem will not be resolved in the foreseeable future. --Teukros (talk) 18:44, 9 March 2012 (UTC)

Request for Adminship[edit]

I have the project to rewrite and improve some of the Wikisource:Shared Scripts with the new mediawiki JS libs and create new ones using our new amazing microformat system, so I request adminship in this wiki in order to work without asking each hours. Tpt (talk) 18:22, 12 March 2012 (UTC)

Punjabi (pa)[edit]

Hello, I was wondering why there isn't a punjabi wikisourceNo community, no wonder. I know atleast one author (w:en:Bulleh Shah) whose works are in punjabi and in the public domain. Plus, I happen to have some of the works. I can type punjabi. I cannot get a scan of the works. I do not know panjabi enough to start a wikisource on my own.nor is one person community enough Panjabi wikipedia has very little or no community to ask for help (haven't tried to ask there yet).

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

PS: This website seems to have works too, although in a non-unicode font.--Siddhartha Ghai (talk) 02:44, 17 March 2012 (UTC)

Modifications in superscript.--Siddhartha Ghai (talk) 02:56, 17 March 2012 (UTC)

Hello Siddharta,

this is the right place to start adding Punjabi texts. I see from the 2 texts in Category:Punjabi that you already guessed which templates to use (Header + Textinfo). If you want, you can also create a copy of those templates and translate/adapt them for Punjabi. Many languages have the habit of placing Textinfo in the talk page, but I find it very disturbing, I worry that many readers will probably not found it; my advice is to put textinfo in the same page of the text. Best solution I think is to create a new template using the content of both Header and Textinfo; but feel free to do what you prefer. You can also create a Main page/pa (or whatever you prefer to name it) on the example of these ones. It would be better to have works with scans, but if you can't find any, no problem. Good work! :-) And ask if you need anything else :-) Candalua (talk) 21:22, 18 March 2012 (UTC)

The template use is courtesy the helpful people at IRC #wikisource. I'd rather just add texts for now. As I'm not a regular contributor, I won't be getting into where to place which template. Doesn't oldWS have a policy for this?
When there is a sufficient number of pages in pa, then maybe I'd work on a mainpage (and name it whatever pa-wp uses).
The problem with getting scans is that its just too costly.
Just one question, the website I linked to above contains works of other authors too, which I do not have physically. However, the site isn't very reliable for texts (I've found variations in the site and my physical source in the two texts I've added). Should it be used for the other authors' texts then? Or should we wait for someone to find a physical source and eventually add the texts?
Thanks :) Siddhartha Ghai (talk) 19:02, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
For consistency with other languages, the Punjabi main page should be called Main Page/ਪੰਜਾਬੀ. —Angr 22:14, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
Actually, I thought we discussed this last year and decided that we would actually use Main Page/ਪੰਜਾਬੀ and Main page/pa as redirects to the name with the local language word for "Main Page" as the target - this would make it easier to later migrate the project without changing all navigational links.--Doug.(talk contribs) 17:11, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
We did? I thought we decided all the Main Pages should be subpages of Main Page and would thus be called Main Page/something, where "something" is replaced by the native name of the language in the native script. —Angr 21:04, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
Hmmm, maybe; I need to look again, it may not have been clear or at least not clear the way I thought. I know we did discuss the practical problem that most of us don't know most of the languages that are involved, so at a minimum a redirect from Main Page/language code should be required. Beyond that, they just need to all be the same in my opinion.--Doug.(talk contribs) 22:25, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
Here is the discussion I was thinking of Wikisource:Scriptorium/Archives/Jan_2011_-_Dec_2011#Main_page_variants, not really as definitive as I thought and not much participation. There may have been others that I missed.--Doug.(talk contribs) 08:11, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
The discussion I was think of is at Wikisource:Scriptorium/Archives/Jan 2011 - Dec 2011#Main Pages, which also didn't have a lot of participation, but where "Main Page/Native name" seemed to have the most support or at least the least opposition. And just a couple of days ago, that's the format I moved a whole lot of Main Pages to (because I thought that format had consensus). Because I did that, all the local Main Pages listed on Template:AllLanguages now use the "Main Page/Native name" format, though there are still some members of Category:Main Pages that don't (and they're not in Template:AllLanguages either). —Angr 23:25, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
Well now, if you've actually gone and organized things a bit then I certainly wouldn't suggest we should change what you did. It's about time we started organizing it. I wanted to but never seemed to get around to it. Thanks!--Doug.(talk contribs) 11:46, 23 March 2012 (UTC)
Good; if no one objects, I'll continue organizing the Main Pages so they all have the same format. (I can't guarantee I'll get around to making all relevant redirects, though.) The next thing to organize is the language categories. Some are called "Category:English name" and some are called "Category:Native name", and some languages have both (e.g. we have both Category:हिन्दी and Category:Hindi). The new Template:Langinfo assumes that the category is called "Category:Native name", so we should probably standardize on that. The problem is that some of the "Category:English name" categories have hundreds of pages in them (Category:Georgian has almost 800!), and I can't imagine anyone wants to change the categories on all these pages by hand. (I certainly don't!) A bot could recategorize the pages quickly, but we don't seem to have any active bots at Multilingual Wikisource at the moment. —Angr 13:44, 23 March 2012 (UTC)
I don't have a bot flag here but if given the category names I can do this using my bot(CentralAuth).--Siddhartha Ghai (talk) 23:12, 8 April 2012 (UTC)

Main page[edit]

Just a note. The mainpage should state that the X+ ones are the subdomains, the wikisource.org part is the oldWS list and A-Z contains both of them.

I just spent the past few hours trying to dig up how to add the oldWS langs into the X+ parts and writing up comments for that correction (which I didn't post) before finding out that the X+'s are only subdomains.

The interwiki link color isn't different enough from the wikilink color to suffice as differentiation in itself. Without a heading or statement giving this fact, there's no way for non-WSians to differentiate between the two types.--Siddhartha Ghai (talk) 08:57, 20 March 2012 (UTC)

You're absolutely right but I can't help you with this. On the contrary, I see another problem with this list: it's completely outdated. My language and many others don't even exist in it. What is more... what to do with languages that have a subdomain but have parked some texts (or text parts) here due to copyright issues (German and Polish are two examples)? --Kazu89 (talk) 10:50, 20 March 2012 (UTC)

If some of you wants to add languages:

I changed protection so that autoconfirmed users can edit them. Candalua (talk) 18:17, 20 March 2012 (UTC)

Another point is that the Main Page links to all the individual languages' own Main Pages; if your language doesn't have a Main Page (Romansh doesn't, for example), it's going to get overlooked and left off the main Main Page. So, Kazu89, you need to create Main Page/Rumantsch and put it into Category:Main Pages so it doesn't get forgotten! —Angr 20:06, 20 March 2012 (UTC)

I absolutely agree that the colours are too similar, but to change them we should discuss at a higher level than here :-) Anyway, non-Wikisourcians readers probably do not bother to know if the link points to a subdomain or not. They just want to go to the main page for a given language, wherever it is. It's also right, in my opinion, that for German and Polish there's only the link to the subdomain; the texts hosted here should be pointed from there. (By the way, I will never understand why a text cannot be hosted on de.source due to copyright, but it can be hosted on oldwikisource... we are the same site! we share the same servers! what's the difference?) Candalua (talk) 21:36, 20 March 2012 (UTC)

Local policy. Even though all the servers are in the U.S., the local policy of German Wikisource is to host only content that is public domain in Germany. (Presumably the Polish Wikisource has a similar policy.) But the local policy of Multilingual Wikisource is to host content that is public domain in the U.S. So, for example, works by Thomas Mann that were published before 1923, or published after 1923 but without a copyright notice or without proper renewal, can be hosted here (because they're PD in the U.S.) but not at de-ws (because they won't be PD in Germany until 2026). —Angr 22:11, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
That's actually the default policy per WMF rules for every project that has a country from which it is primarily accessed so the Polish Wikisource (assuming it is primarily accessed from Poland) must have that rule unless they have affirmatively adopted a different rule - that's not exactly what the policy says but that's what I understand it is intended to mean. mul.ws is excepted from the rule since we don't have a primary language of readership (as also with meta, mw.org, and commons - which has a local rule that conflicts which is why Mann's (and Hesse's - I'm working on one of his) have to be uploaded here as well.) The only languages which don't have an issue are English and (mostly) dead languages like Latin or synthetic languages. All other languages could, at least theoretically, have works here and the Main page needs to accommodate that. How to best do that, I don't know. --Doug.(talk contribs) 16:33, 21 March 2012 (UTC)

Another request for adminship[edit]

I just added a request for adminship for me. Figured it was about time and started to ask someone to nom me but realized we don't seem to do that here. Also, while you're about it, please take note of my request above for import upload rights, above, it's really getting stale; I had to bring it forward as it had gotten archived. I think we should avoid archiving matters that aren't actioned, especially those from late in the year. Thanks.--Doug.(talk contribs) 13:45, 20 March 2012 (UTC)

Gujarati Wikisource[edit]

Hi, the whole content of Category:Gujarati has now been imported to the newly created http://gu.wikisource.org subdomain. So they can probably deleted here now. In case any pages are missing, please tell me and I'll import them too. --MF-Warburg (talk) 21:55, 27 March 2012 (UTC)

The same for Belarussian (be:). --MF-Warburg (talk) 22:29, 27 March 2012 (UTC)
Did you get Category:ગુજરાતી for Gujarati too? It's one of the languages that wound up with two categories somehow. —Angr 23:15, 27 March 2012 (UTC)
I'll check that, though it seems to be that all pages are in both categories (equal number of pages in them). --MF-Warburg (talk) 23:28, 27 March 2012 (UTC)
Is Belarusian OK, at least? -- Liliana-60 (talk) 18:34, 4 April 2012 (UTC)
I think so. However, I just saw this, but I actually, all pages from that category should be imported. --MF-Warburg (talk) 14:42, 6 April 2012 (UTC)

This still hasn't been done... why? -- Liliana-60 (talk) 18:52, 20 May 2012 (UTC)

And after half a year, nothing has been done yet... shrug. -- Liliana-60 (talk) 04:25, 9 October 2012 (UTC)
I don't read Gujarati and Belorussian scripts so I can't check if all the pages have been transferred. Can you check that all pages of Category:Gujarati and Category:Беларуская have been transfers ? When it is done, I will run a bot that will delete all the pages inside of these two categories. Tpt (talk) 19:35, 9 October 2012 (UTC)

author namespace[edit]

Currently some author pages use the "Author:" prefix, other do not. I propose this rule: all author pages must have the "Author:" prefix, so that they are correctly counted to be in the author namespace, and not in the main namespace. Pages that use a different prefix or no prefix should be moved. Redirects can stay. Candalua (talk) 07:39, 30 March 2012 (UTC)

Is Author: activated as a real namespace here, or is it just a pseudo-namespace? I ask because the Author pages on my watchlist are listed under "(Main)" when I click "View and edit watchlist". (They're also shown as redlinks there, even though the pages exist, which I don't understand.) —Angr 09:11, 30 March 2012 (UTC)

Author is a real namespace, it was created with bug30724 and pages starting with Author: were moved from ns0 to the new namespace. Maybe it's just the watchlist that's broken. Candalua (talk) 12:19, 30 March 2012 (UTC)

Well, whatever it was, it's fixed now, because now, the author pages are listed in Author: namespace and they're blue. Anyway, back to the original question, I support moving all author pages to the Author: namespace. Should an author also be listed in the category of the language in which he wrote? Using Irish as an example, Author:Peadar Ua Laoghaire is currently in Category:Gaeilge; is that desirable? Should there be an intermediate category (like Category:Údair or something, údair being Irish for "authors") to gather all Irish-language authors together, or is it preferable to have all authors grouped together in Category:Authors as well as in the various languages? The {{Author}} template automatically puts all authors into Category:Authors without regard for language; if we want to group them by language we'll need to tinker with that template. —Angr 13:22, 30 March 2012 (UTC)
To tell the truth, I'm opposed to your proposal. Actually, I'd like to keep the language projects separate from one another. My arguments, regarding the author namespace, are as follows:
  • If an author was active in different languages or if translations exist, they would all be listed on the same page (language of introduction?)
  • If a given project is moved to its own subdomain, this will facilitate several things, I think, including that mentioned above
I would prefer to use pseudo-namespaces for all types of page, save for categories, as they are not edited by individual user but by the system. Another possibility would be to use the system Incubator uses, but many people seem to be overcharged with the prefixes used there. I hope you get my point and, if you don't agree, can come up with a solution for the flaws mentioned. Kazu89 (talk) 22:49, 7 April 2012 (UTC)
It is important to keep something for "author" namespace in the language of the work for current use and possible later migration. However, we must face the fact that many languages will never migrate and even if they eventually do the admins and others here need to be able to track them. There is nothing to prevent creation of many aliases for "author", it's a simple bugzilla request that can be executed in a few seconds by anyone with the required access. I believe this is actually the decision that was made last year when we implemented the author namespace and we may have even started compiling a list of aliases, I'd have to look back - a problem with archiving automatically at year end. I am less concerned with categories and since you can't have meaningful redirects or aliases in categories, it's best to just put them all in Category:Author and Category:<lang> in my opinion.
As for the point about an author being active in different languages, well, I think that's the sort of thing that we should track here and a very valid use for mul.ws beyond simply and incubator. Multilingual pages are possible and desirable. If a language is on the verge of going live and wants to create this infrastructure we can always create a pseudo namespace or request a new one.--Doug.(talk contribs) 06:36, 8 April 2012 (UTC)

De-crat[edit]

I have nominated -jkb- for removal of crat privileges. I don't find any evidence of a vote or discussion and the user has never logged an action as a crat since they were promoted in March 2011; they actually haven't logged an admin action since before that, so I've nominated them separately for removal of that privilege as well - to be consistent with others and because there is a 6 mos inactivity practice here. Please take notice of the discussion at Wikisource:Administrators#-jkb-_2. I placed the discussion there because the Crat page has only been used for crat requests not for nominations and decrat actions.--Doug.(talk contribs) 12:32, 6 April 2012 (UTC)

Desop votes - closing?[edit]

Historically it hasn't taken much to desysop for inactivity. I understand that Ooswesthoesbes doesn't support the practice in general as noted above; however, it's been going on for several years and was discussed in the past so I won't address that here. In several cases, inactive users have been desysopped with only two votes, including the nom. While low, we aren't a very active site for such discussions and the general premise is that the user obviously doesn't need the bit right now and can ask for it back anytime, so it's low cost. Some of the users may have permanently retired (in ThomasV's case it's at least semi-permanent, unfortunately).

Does anyone object to summarily closing discussions with a result of removal of the bit if the discussion stays open for 30 days with no support for retention? Currently that would affect ThomasBot and Maximillion Pegasus.

How about where there is one or more supports for retention, a close by an uninvolved user or after no less than 30 days?

I've noticed some discussions historically have stayed open for more than a year, which is silly.--Doug.(talk contribs) 09:13, 9 April 2012 (UTC)

Tracking Bug for Wikisource[edit]

I have created a tracking bug at bugzilla:35925, this bug is intended to list all bugs that are of special interest to wikisource. Just add any relevant bug to the "Depends on" field. Do not remove bugs when they are resolved, they'll simply be crossed out on the list when they are closed as resolved or dups or whatever.--Doug.(talk contribs) 16:50, 15 April 2012 (UTC)

Bug 32189 and the mul.ws question[edit]

Wikisource:Scriptorium/Archives/Jan 2012 - Dec 2012/Bug 32189


New features in ProofreadPage[edit]

The new version of Mediawiki that will be deployed the April 28th (more info) will bring new features to ProofreadPage : The tag <pages> get new options in order to improve transclusion system of multi-pages books (with .djvu or .pdf file). Here they are:

step
Transclude only one page on n. By example : <pages from=1 to=10 step=2 /> show the 1st, 3rd, 5th,7r and 9th pages.
exclude
Don't include following pages. By example : <pages from=1 to=10 exclude="2-5,9" /> show the 1st, 6th, 7th, 8th and 10th pages.
include
Include following pages. By example : <pages include="2-5,9" /> show the 2th, 3th, 4th, 5th and 9th pages.

We can, of course, use all the attributes on the same tag. By example <pages from=1 to=10 include="31" exclude="2-4" step="2" /> will show 1st, 5th, 7th, 9th and 31th pages. unsigned comment by Tpt (talk) 09:30, 17 April 2012 (UTC).

For Tpt and for all the workers in such successful and useful additions: Thanks !Thanks! Splendid news!  :) --Zyephyrus (talk) 09:16, 20 April 2012 (UTC)
Can we get an update to Wikisource:ProofreadPage? billinghurst sDrewth 13:16, 20 April 2012 (UTC)
Yes check.svg Done I have pasted it: is it correct? --Zyephyrus (talk) 22:21, 20 April 2012 (UTC)
Yes thanks a lot ! Tpt (talk) 08:09, 21 April 2012 (UTC)

Notice of a css class discussion on EN that affects all subdomains[edit]

Please take note of en:Wikisource:Scriptorium#Other_issues and particularly en:Wikisource:Scriptorium#Proposal. This discussion appears to be resolving now in favor of activating the class for all namespaces. The discussion really should've taken place here but as it's nearly resolved in favor of the less restrictive use I'm not moving or transcluding it. Please note though that this will require local changes to CSS to either enable or disable the colors, depending on which is the default.--Doug.(talk contribs) 10:49, 23 April 2012 (UTC)

Wikisource and Project Gutenberg[edit]

Redundancy? I took a look at PG's site and searched here, but all I could find is a brief and old discussion at en.ws about the overlapping nature of WS and PG. Have either of these communities had a serious discussion about what appear to be redundant mission statements? Is it possible to integrate one into the other? Koavf (talk) 02:24, 27 April 2012 (UTC)

I don't see how. They're not a wiki and they don't provide scans of the original works. —Angr 09:03, 27 April 2012 (UTC)
It would be possible for them to bring all their works here to join us. There output is the same, however, the approach is somewhat different …
  1. We are using wiki as the tool, online, and wikilinks
  2. We are doing a holisitic approach to being a library, not just reproduction of text
  3. We have images
  4. We encourage casual transcription
  5. We are part of a bigger scheme of wiki that looks to interlink (between encyclopaedia/dictionary/images/languages/...)
plus presumably other things. billinghurst sDrewth 03:31, 6 May 2012 (UTC)
Scope Clearly, the two communities aren't identical, but it just seems silly for someone to be typing up and spot-checking the same text in two separate places. Because of licensing issues, it's (apparently) not possible to just port over all of their content, but that also seems silly to me as well. If they could simply relicense, wouldn't WS have a huge new source of texts that won't require our users to reinvent the wheel? Koavf (talk) 23:06, 8 May 2012 (UTC)
The public domain part of their content can already be copied over here, and indeed a lot of it has been. —Angr 22:18, 9 May 2012 (UTC)
The comment about PG not having scans of original works is incorrect. Their organisation is at a different address at Distributed Proofreaders. In fact they're way ahead of us (at least the English WS) in terms of organisation, though their formatting capabilities are behind (they use augmented html in some cases but not others such as chapter headings). It is odd that the two organisations have no human contact. Chris55 (talk) 08:52, 10 August 2012 (UTC)

New version of ProofreadPage[edit]

Hi! New version of ProofreadPage extension is available for testing on test2. List of some changes:

  • 34732 The scan does not appear on Opera.
  • 35757 Add 'onlysection' parameter to <pages/>.
  • 36070 <pagelist/> should show localized page numbers
  • 36115 Anonymous users cannot change page status
  • 36125 Position of quality buttons should not change
  • 36158 <pages> transclusions allow for infinite loop - This change disables nested <pages> transclusion completely.

If you find any errors please file a bug on bugzilla, so we can fix the issues before the upcoming deployment. Beau (talk) 07:29, 1 May 2012 (UTC)

Trial of thumbnail regenerator — volunteer testers?[edit]

I have asked one of the gadget developers at Commons to assist adapt a tool for our use.

The current problem is that when in transcription mode with Proofread Page, there are occasions when the image is not generated properly, and it is difficult to purge the thumbnail. This application adds a PURGE tab to the top right in vector/monobook skins, which should then purges stubborn image file. To identify where and when is needed is a little sporadic as we don't know when the thumbnail generators for commons will play up, hence the call for vols, and to request your feedback. [Note: Only tested in monobook and vector skins]

To trial the application, add the following text to your file Special:MyPage/common.js

// test of thumbnail regenerator [[File:User:Rillke/forWikisource.js]]
mw.loader.load('//commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Rillke/forWikisource.js&action=raw&ctype=text/javascript');

Please provide your feedback (preferably at enWS), so I can look to how we can update, preserve and manage the gadget. Thanks. billinghurst sDrewth 03:25, 6 May 2012 (UTC)

Bot flag for GedawyBot[edit]

The bot mades the same function at many wikis & Commons & Meta and Wikispecies. I'm sorry for doing many test edits. Thank you.--M.Gedawy 22:29, 7 May 2012 (UTC)

Thanks to you! Test edits are ok. I support this request. Candalua (talk) 09:37, 8 May 2012 (UTC)

Special:Statistics[edit]

Hello, what has happened to Special:Statistics. For instance, on Croatian Wikisource, the count dropped from +7.900 to 5.003 (see: hr:Posebno:Statistika). On Serbian Wikisource the count dropped for about 1.000 (see: sr:Посебно:Статистике). Did the OldWikisource experience a simmilar drop? -- Bugoslav (talk) 17:24, 13. V. 2012. (CEST)

Phe’s statistics give this. Is it different from figures given by other sources? --Zyephyrus (talk) 07:11, 14 May 2012 (UTC)
I see that it is only the ProofreadPage Statistics, it doesn't include Serbian. Strangely enough it shows only 1062 (as total count of all pages) for Croatian. If you have any info, please do write on hr:Wikizvor:Pisarnica#Brojidba. Thanks. :) -- Bugoslav (talk) 13:03, 14. V. 2012. (CEST)

These changes in the stats are the result of bug33253. The original goal was actually to fix the page count, but it looks like the new numbers are just as inaccurate and wrong as the old ones... Candalua (talk) 19:21, 17 May 2012 (UTC)


interwiki links pointing to wikipedia instead of wikisource[edit]

It looks like our interwiki links are now pointing by default to Wikipedia, instead of Wikisource. This is a regression because this was fixed just some months ago. I'm reopening bug29591. Candalua (talk) 09:23, 18 May 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for reporting the bug. This bug still exists as evidenced from my test at Template:L'Internationale.--Jusjih (talk) 17:46, 5 June 2012 (UTC)
This could be solved be adding an "s:" to the links. (However, not having to do that would be more elegant.) V85 (talk) 16:30, 21 June 2012 (UTC)

Language help[edit]

I recall having read somewhere that a forum would be created where we could ask for help proofreading phrases/quotes in languages other than that in which a text is written, where native speakers could go over it, and make sure that it has been proofread correctly. E.g. book is written in French, includes a quote in Russian; book is written in English, includes a phrase in Chinese; or book is written in German, includes a quote in Italian.

Currently, I am proofreading a book that compares Sanskrit grammar to that of Old Norse, and it includes quite a few Sanskrit words and phrases (in Devanagari), which I cannot read. As the book was published in the 1840s and the scan isn't very good, it's not always easy deciphering the Devanagari characters. (Some are quite different from those of today. For instance, in some places, rather than the structure half consonant-full consonant of modern Devanagari (pr. Wikipedia article), it uses the structure full consonant-subscript consonant.) I'm especially uncertain because there at times seems to be a mismatch between the Devanagari and the transcription. (Especially aspiration seems to fall out every now and then.) Although the scan has low quality, it's still possible to proofread it, as words that are unclear, can be guessed from content, whereas for Sanskrit words, which I don't know, I can't really guess at...

Has such a forum been created, where I could request such help? V85 (talk) 11:14, 31 May 2012 (UTC)

I don't know of any such forum. I can help you with some Devanagari, though, if you provide the links. —Angr 21:52, 20 June 2012 (UTC)
I was thinking of maybe compiling a list of the devanagari provided in that text, to make it easier for foreign editors to control what is written, without having to scan through loads and loads of text they don't understand, to find the words they ae looking for. One text is Om Pronomen relativum (About the relative pronoun) (which also includes some text in other languages). The main difference when it comes to the transcription of the devanagari, is the use of the sign ǵ instead of j (as Norwegian j denotes IPA /j/). The transcription scheme used is outlined in another text: no:Sanskrit og Oldnorsk/Omskrivning. (As it uses the typical set up for devangari, I don't see any need to translate it.) Thanks for any help that you can provide! If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me on my :no: talkpage! V85 (talk) 16:42, 21 June 2012 (UTC)

Update on IPv6[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it, as well as the full version of this announcement on Meta)

The Wikimedia Foundation is planning to do limited testing of IPv6 on June 2-3. If there are not too many problems, we may fully enable IPv6 on World IPv6 day (June 6), and keep it enabled.

What this means for your project:

  • At least on June 2-3, 2012, you may see a small number of edits from IPv6 addresses, which are in the form "2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334". See e.g. w:en:IPv6 address. These addresses should behave like any other IP address: You can leave messages on their talk pages; you can track their contributions; you can block them. (See the full version of this announcement for notes on range blocks.)
  • In the mid term, some user scripts and tools will need to be adapted for IPv6.
  • We suspect that IPv6 usage is going to be very low initially, meaning that abuse should be manageable, and we will assist in the monitoring of the situation.

Read the full version of this announcement on how to test the behavior of IPv6 with various tools and how to leave bug reports, and to find a fuller analysis of the implications of the IPv6 migration.

--Erik Möller, VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation 01:30, 2 June 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)


2011 Picture of the Year competition[edit]

македонскиnorskpolski

Dear Wikimedians,

Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2011 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We are interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year 2011. Any user registered at Commons or a Wikimedia wiki SUL-related to Commons with more than 75 edits before 1 April 2012 (UTC) is welcome to vote and, of course everyone is welcome to view!

Detailed information about the contest can be found at the introductory page.

About 600 of the best of Wikimedia Common's photos, animations, movies and graphics were chosen –by the international Wikimedia Commons community– out of 12 million files during 2011 and are now called Featured Pictures.

From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons Features Pictures of all flavors.

For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories.

We regret that you receive this message in English; we intended to use banners to notify you in your native language but there was both, human and technical resistance.

See you on Commons! --Picture of the Year 2011 Committee 18:45, 5 June 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)


Lake Bondhus, Norway




Result: here’s the winner  :) --Zyephyrus (talk) 07:07, 29 June 2012 (UTC)

Mobile view as default view coming soon[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it, as well as the instructions on Meta)

The mobile view of this project and others will soon become the default view on mobile devices (except tablets). Some language versions of these projects currently show no content on the mobile home page, and it is a good time to do a little formatting so users get a mobile-friendly view, or to add to existing mobile content if some already exists.

If you are an administrator, please consider helping with this change. There are instructions which are being translated. The proposed date of switching the default view is June 21.

To contact the mobile team, email mobile-feedback-lAt sign.svglists.wikimedia.org.

--Phil Inje Chang, Product Manager, Mobile, Wikimedia Foundation 08:37, 16 June 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Main page links are wrong[edit]

I see (as pointed into it.source scriptorium) that links from Main Page to other Wikisource projects are wrong, they point to Wikipedia insetad of to Wikisource. Can a sysop fix it? Thanks! --Alex brollo (talk) 18:21, 28 June 2012 (UTC)

Please check if it is correct now on the main page. I have fixed the scriptorium’s links too but they are not on the sidebar any more. How can I correct it? Thank you for your help! --Zyephyrus (talk) 07:01, 29 June 2012 (UTC)
Tpt, Thanks !Thanks!  :) --Zyephyrus (talk) 08:27, 30 June 2012 (UTC)

A modernisation tool[edit]

At least the French and the Norwegian Wikisource has added the modernisation tool mentioned here. The script is based on a dictionary where old, archaic words and the modern versions are listeed. When the user clicks "modernize", the script replace all old words with the modern ones in the text (according to the dictionary). My question: could some look at the oppotunity of combining this dictionary to Wiktionary, so instead for a special list of words, the script uses Wiktionary as source. Thanks. --Anjar (talk) 15:42, 6 July 2012 (UTC)

Author:Giuseppe Peano[edit]

Hello Wikisourcerers,

I have created a page Author:Giuseppe Peano and I'd like to move it to a category in the Interlingua language. What is the Interlingua word for Author? --Zyephyrus (talk) 00:18, 12 July 2012 (UTC)

see here - ? -jkb- (talk) 06:17, 12 July 2012 (UTC)
Thank you, -jkb-  :) --Zyephyrus (talk) 07:02, 12 July 2012 (UTC)
I've redirected category:Autores to category:Scriptores, so both can be found on Wikisource but the right one is category:Scriptores. Please don't hesitate to correct it if something is wrong. --Zyephyrus (talk) 12:03, 13 July 2012 (UTC)

Keyboard shortcuts[edit]

I would like to request adding macrons to MediaWiki:SpecialChars.js using the format of =a for ā. Related discussion at http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Scriptorium#Keyboard_shortcuts Jeepday (talk) 00:04, 15 July 2012 (UTC)

I added all the macrons, tell me if there are problems. Candalua (talk) 12:21, 15 July 2012 (UTC)
Thank you, that helps alot. Jeepday (talk) 15:47, 15 July 2012 (UTC)

Help decide about more than $10 million of Wikimedia donations in the coming year[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)

Hi,

As many of you are aware, the Wikimedia Board of Trustees recently initiated important changes in the way that money is being distributed within the Wikimedia movement. As part of this, a new community-led "Funds Dissemination Committee" (FDC) is currently being set up. Already in 2012-13, its recommendations will guide the decisions about the distribution of over 10 million US dollars among the Foundation, chapters and other eligible entities.

Now, seven capable, knowledgeable and trustworthy community members are sought to volunteer on the initial Funds Dissemination Committee. It is expected to take up its work in September. In addition, a community member is sought to be the Ombudsperson for the FDC process. If you are interested in joining the committee, read the call for volunteers. Nominations are planned to close on August 15.

--Anasuya Sengupta, Director of Global Learning and Grantmaking, Wikimedia Foundation 20:30, 19 July 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

WMF Board and Wikisource[edit]

The WMF board collected questions at the Wikimania conference and has now published them at Meta. Two of the questions are relevant to Wikisource:

  • Why doesn't the Wikimedia Foundation supply funding for WikiSource?
  • Why there is no development and resources allocated for sister projects? (e.g. Wikisource)

Answers are still pending, though. --AFBorchert (talk) 15:35, 22 July 2012 (UTC)

Here is an example on fr.ws about a French book; what we lack is a tool that gives a good OCR when we have good images of a book; other languages might show examples too. --Zyephyrus (talk) 08:02, 25 July 2012 (UTC)
I'm the one who asked the second question, but unfortunately they did not answer properly.
I actually spoke with two members of the Board, explaining them that Wikisource lacks proper support. They both told me that the (international) community could file a report and ask for specific resources.
This is (also) why during Wikimania some Wikisourcerors gathered and started working on different fronts. This is the page where we all should building a roadmap and work on the different tasks. --Aubrey (talk) 11:56, 30 July 2012 (UTC)


Comments[edit]

May be someone want to comment something about this: http://www.wikisource.com.ar/index.php?title=P%C3%A1gina_principal Best regards, --LadyInGrey (talk) 23:46, 5 August 2012 (UTC)

We have nothing to do with www.wikisource.com.ar that is a separate website.--Jusjih (talk) 15:52, 14 August 2012 (UTC)
That's exactly the problem. Someone is using the Wikisource name but without any association to Wikisource or the Wikimedia Foundation. It's a trademark infringement and we should probably notify the Foundation about it somehow. —Angr 14:49, 18 August 2012 (UTC)
Rights, only the WMF cann do something here. -jkb- (talk) 14:53, 18 August 2012 (UTC)
I've sent them an e-mail informing them of the website. —Angr 14:56, 18 August 2012 (UTC)
oh, I've just made a notice on Sue's page on the meta. Never mind. -jkb- (talk) 14:58, 18 August 2012 (UTC)

OTRS queue[edit]

A note to the broader Wikisource community that I am going to propose to have my name added to the OTRS queue for "Sister projects::Wikisource" which has partial access to info-queues@ email address. I am in OTRS on a regular basis for stewardry reasons, so poking my head onto Wikisource related matters in English. If there are any reasons that people believe that I should not then please bring them forward. By the way, I have found it difficult to identify who is sitting with access to that mail queue, does anyone actually know? All I do know is that User:AFBorchert, and User:Bookofjude have/had rights. billinghurst sDrewth 11:04, 22 August 2012 (UTC)

A time ago I have had a similar idea (see here, than I didn't follow ist any more (and today I have no access). But for mee it is a good idea and I support it. Regards -jkb- (talk) 14:10, 22 August 2012 (UTC)
Support, I think that en.wikisource would benefit by Billinghurst having OTRS access. JeepdaySock (talk) 15:21, 22 August 2012 (UTC)
Support. --Zyephyrus (talk) 19:12, 29 August 2012 (UTC)

Yes check.svg Done, to note that queue is empty billinghurst sDrewth 02:04, 2 September 2012 (UTC)

parseMetadata()[edit]

I uploaded here User:Alex brollo/Library.js, containing too an interesting parseMetadata() function. I launched a thread about this function both into Wikitech-l and into Wikisource-l; I usually work into it.wikisource but here I ttook the opportunity to fix some "international" settings so making tests - I hope - simpler for interested people. Thanks for hosting.

parseMetadata() gets html of a File: information page, so allowing use of any data stored there, even if file is stored in Commons. Test it, if you like, simply importing User:Alex brollo/Library.js and launching from a js console (I usually use Chrome console) parsemetadata() without parameter from any page (Index, Page or proofread ns0) logically linked to a djvu file --Alex brollo (talk) 15:34, 29 August 2012 (UTC)

Request for Comment: Legal Fees Assistance Program[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

I apologize for addressing you in English. I would be grateful if you could translate this message into your language.

The Wikimedia Foundation is conducting a request for comment on a proposed program that could provide legal assistance to users in specific support roles who are named in a legal complaint as a defendant because of those roles. We wanted to be sure that your community was aware of this discussion and would have a chance to participate in that discussion.

If this page is not the best place to publicize this request for comment, please help spread the word to those who may be interested in participating. (If you'd like to help translating the "request for comment", program policy or other pages into your language and don't know how the translation system works, please come by my user talk page at m:User talk:Mdennis (WMF). I'll be happy to assist or to connect you with a volunteer who can assist.)

Thank you! --Mdennis (WMF)02:17, 6 September 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Wikidata is getting close to a first roll-out[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.)

As some of you might already have heard Wikimedia Deutschland is working on a new Wikimedia project. It is called m:Wikidata. The goal of Wikidata is to become a central data repository for the Wikipedias, its sister projects and the world. In the future it will hold data like the number of inhabitants of a country, the date of birth of a famous person or the length of a river. These can then be used in all Wikimedia projects and outside of them.

The project is divided into three phases and "we are getting close to roll-out the first phase". The phases are:

  1. language links in the Wikipedias (making it possible to store the links between the language editions of an article just once in Wikidata instead of in each linked article)
  2. infoboxes (making it possible to store the data that is currently in infoboxes in one central place and share the data)
  3. lists (making it possible to create lists and similar things based on queries to Wikidata so they update automatically when new data is added or modified)

It'd be great if you could join us, test the demo version, provide feedback and take part in the development of Wikidata. You can find all the relevant information including an FAQ and sign-up links for our on-wiki newsletter on the Wikidata page on Meta.

For further discussions please use this talk page (if you are uncomfortable writing in English you can also write in your native language there) or point me to the place where your discussion is happening so I can answer there.

--Lydia Pintscher 13:43, 10 September 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Some thoughts ...[edit]

... on the situation. It is since a long time the same but in the last time quite extremely: there are too many new created accounts and to many of them are spaming a short time later. If somebody creates an account like User:HarrisonZT or something like that, so it can be OK, although I would like to know why he creates the accont manually and not automatically per SUL (normally, a user who comes here, should be expected to be a user from another project). But there is a growing amount of new here created accounts like Mkgxoamb, Da86ml75le or Fhef653d that do nothing or that are spamming here after a time. At the moment there is a plenty of deleted pages with a spam for Louis V[redacted] and similar. Sure, we are an open project and everybody should havbe the possibility to join it; and, at the moment it is still not very bothering to delete the present amount of pages.
But maybe somebody has an idea how to prevent this in the future. So for example a I started to block such accounts with "Prevent account creation" activated as it could probably prevent creating new spamming account if the comes from the same range (like the spamming of louis vuiton probably does, I guess). But shouldn't we try to ask a check user to get the IPs of such accounts to get the very IP range? Or at least we would know if these accounts use open proxies. -jkb- (talk) 14:38, 14 September 2012 (UTC)

Hi, I noticed this by chance being a member of the m:SWMT. Unfortunately, in the last time, there is really a high amount of these "pattern" spambots globally. See for example the checkuser requests for Stewards that concern these. Stewards checkuser cross-wiki spambots quite often & block their IP addresses globally (You can see the log of stewards granting themselves checkuser status on this wiki here), but the spammers are really persistent. Maybe for some specific kinds of vandalism you could install an abuse filter. --MF-Warburg (talk) 17:36, 14 September 2012 (UTC)
Well, a filter is something that I had in mind as well; it would prevent us from spams á la Louis Vuiton and similar at least, and that would be pretty. But somebody else must install it, this is a bit new for me. But, anyway strong Pro. -jkb- (talk) 18:12, 14 September 2012 (UTC)
might be someone has a look at https://wikisource.org/wiki/Special:AbuseFilter/3 - my idea for a filter contra "louis v[redacted]" edits. -jkb- (talk) 23:03, 14 September 2012 (UTC)
well, the filter # 3 works now, -jkb- (talk) 09:26, 17 September 2012 (UTC)
A CU has been done 15 days ago by a steward (User:Elfix) and a /18 and /24 blocked for 3 month with 'prevent account creation', not very effective. Look like spam bot are more and more clever to bypass captcha. Perhaps the captcha are not enough difficult, something to pinpoint to server admin. Beside that, Elfix pointed out we have no CU on wikisource and asked if we can elect a few. — Phe 00:01, 15 September 2012 (UTC)
Yes, but still I think (see my idea above) that shorter range blocks would be more effective than blocking single vandals, and here we could need some CU infos. However, some abuse filters could help as well. -jkb- (talk) 08:16, 15 September 2012 (UTC)

Needed: Wikisource:Metadata[edit]

Wikisource:Metadata has just been created, but it could use more expansion. Please help to make it a useful resource! (Related thread: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Scriptorium#Needed:_Wikisource:Metadata) --Piotrus (talk) 16:10, 24 September 2012 (UTC)

Upcoming software changes - please report any problems[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)

All Wikimedia wikis - including this one - will soon be upgraded with new and possibly disruptive code. This process starts today and finishes on October 24 (see the upgrade schedule & code details).

Please watch for problems with:

  • revision diffs
  • templates
  • CSS and JavaScript pages (like user scripts)
  • bots
  • PDF export
  • images, video, and sound, especially scaling sizes
  • the CologneBlue skin

If you notice any problems, please report problems at our defect tracker site. You can test for possible problems at test2.wikipedia.org and mediawiki.org, which have already been updated.

Thanks! With your help we can find problems fast and get them fixed faster.

Sumana Harihareswara, Wikimedia Foundation Engineering Community Manager (talk) 03:19, 16 October 2012 (UTC)

P.S.: For the regular, smaller MediaWiki updates every two weeks, please watch this schedule.

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Fundraising localization: volunteers from outside the USA needed[edit]

Please translate for your local community

Hello All,

The Wikimedia Foundation's Fundraising team have begun our 'User Experience' project, with the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries outside the USA and enhancing the localization of our donation pages. I am searching for volunteers to spend 30 minutes on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.

The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real-time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)

By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. Please sing up and help us with our 'User Experience' project! :) If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email ppena@wikimedia.org. All countries needed (excepting USA)!

Thanks!
Pats Pena
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation

Sent using Global message delivery, 17:24, 17 October 2012 (UTC)

Bug in mediawiki configuration[edit]

Catalan Wikisource is broken. Try ca:Special:Recentchanges or browse any book from ca:Special:Indexpages (e.g. ca:Index:Llegendes catalanes):
There is a bug in mediawiki configuration: the ProofreadPage Page namespace is set to be number 250 in the $wgProofreadPageNamespaceIds[page] PHP configuration parameter and number 102 in the page Mediawiki:proofreadpage_namespace. Update your LocalSettings.php adding $wgProofreadPageNamespaceIds[page] = /* NUMERICAL ID OF THE Page NAMESPACE */; AFTER the inclusion of Proofread Page and delete Mediawiki:proofreadpage_namespace page.
I think there is a promotion of software in course. If tomorrow morning continues, I'll open a bugzilla; but any suggestion will be welcome! -Aleator 01:36, 1 November 2012 (UTC)

Well, it's 3:18 a.m. so today has come :) I've opened bugzilla:41616. -Aleator 02:19, 1 November 2012 (UTC)
Fixed. Thanks Tpt!! -Aleator 08:46, 1 November 2012 (UTC)

Transwiki import fixed - mostly[edit]

Huzzah for Nemo_bis, Bugzilla:32411 is now fixed and Transwiki import now functions mostly correctly. I say mostly because although imports can now be made, we seem to suffer from the same problem that la.ws has Bugzilla:30723, the logs are going to be a mess; at least we can import. :-)--Doug.(talk contribs) 00:46, 8 November 2012 (UTC)

Wikisource:Proposed deletions#Von dem Fischer un syner Fru[edit]

Could some users - preferably admins - have a view at Wikisource:Proposed deletions#Von dem Fischer un syner Fru? Is Doug right in his opinion? --::Slomox:: >< 13:12, 9 November 2012 (UTC)

This problem is still unresolved. --::Slomox:: >< 18:48, 14 December 2012 (UTC)

it.wikisource is down[edit]

https://it.wikisource.org/

Can someone help? :) --Accurimbono (talk) 09:45, 29 November 2012 (UTC)

What I obtain now is this:
In questo momento i server sono sovraccarichi.
Troppi utenti stanno tentando di visualizzare questa pagina. Attendere qualche minuto prima di riprovare a caricare la pagina.
  • Timeout durante l'attesa dello sblocco
Has it been like that for a long time? --Zyephyrus (talk) 11:13, 29 November 2012 (UTC)
Only the main page seems broken. — Phe 14:39, 29 November 2012 (UTC)


English translation:

Sorry, the servers are overloaded at the moment.
Too many users are trying to view this page. Please wait a while before you try to access this page again.
  • Timeout waiting for the lock

Valhallasw (talk) 18:34, 29 November 2012 (UTC)

WMF is looking into it. Kaldari (talk) 19:33, 29 November 2012 (UTC)
We've reverted just it.wikisource.org to 1.21wmf4. We think the problem may be with the new LabeledSectionTransclusion code. If we're right, it was pages that make heavy use of LST (like the Main Page on it.wikisource.org) that had a problem. We're still looking into a proper fix, but it may be that the recently added functionality for LST will need to be reverted. -- RobLa-WMF (talk) 01:31, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
As #LST is a high burden hack, isn't it also worthwhile for itWP to look to utilise other means rather than transcluding lots of sections to a front page. Entry pages that are burdensome will just send people away. billinghurst sDrewth 01:59, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
it.wikisource likes structured data, LST is obviously a very important feature for Wikisource. I also don't see how the complexity of the main page code can scare people (only admins have to edit it anyway). Nemo 07:17, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
I said burden, not complex. Others seem to manage partial transclusions without LST. Not my concern what they do. <shrug> billinghurst sDrewth 08:45, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
In my opinion, a large effort should be done to optimize #lst. It's so a powerful tool that it should be a normal, largely used tool - a stright way to a good "never repeat same data" approach.
Couldn't sections be cached simpy as unexpanded, rought wikitext of sections into a database table? I imagine that page name + section name could be used as unique key, and that they could be retrieved and expanded simply with a standard API parse action, that would be cached. Such a database table would need to be updated only when page is edited. --Alex brollo (talk) 09:02, 1 December 2012 (UTC)
Just another layman idea. #lst could be mimiked by a template with a single #switch, key being the section name and data being sectioned pieces of raw text. Such a template should be edited as soon as source text is edited, but il would use all the well-refined mechanism of template caching (I only know that it exists....). Is perhaps possible to imagine a hidden, read-only generation of such "special template pages" to merge #lst and template management?
Everyway: it.wikisource seems the critical project to test any #lst rebuilding; we could review deeply our #lst approach, but perhaps it could be not a bad idea to let things as they are, to allow tests into the "hard case". --Alex brollo (talk) 09:16, 2 December 2012 (UTC)
@billinghurst Do you know some link/documentation of sources that do not use massively LST but still do partial transclusion? For us at it.source LST is very important, and we use it a lot in ns0 from nsPage for text and footnotes. The "Main Page" is of course a special case: we decided to use LST 'cause we like the idea of keeping data somewhere and visualize it somewhere else, and obviously for 1 page it's not a big deal to change our habits. Still, we do not want this problem to happen again, and don't want to see this issue in content pages. I would be glad to see how others wikisource are doing. Aubrey (talk) 16:06, 2 December 2012 (UTC)

98.255.32.20[edit]

I recently performed a CheckUser block on 98.255.32.20 (talkcontribs) on en.wiki as the IP is being used by an individual as one of many to promote "America's next new singer (season 2)." Given that they have now moved to Wikiversity I ask that their contributions be deleted and the IP blocked. Thanks, Tiptoety talk 01:15, 3 December 2012 (UTC)