Wikisource 2006 FAQ 
- Question: What is Wikisource 2006 and how should it be used?
- Answer: Wikisource 2006 is a news and announcements page for Wikisource in all languages. Please add updates to this page on the Wikisource in your language! Include special projects, special milestones, and even funny happenings. Updates can be in the language of your wiki or in any other languaage. Remember to sign each entry with your name and date by using ~~~~ (four times) so that this page can chart dated events and progress on your wiki over the course of the entire year!
- Question: How can I publicize Wikisource 2006 so that people on my Wikisource will add updates?
- Answer: Please put a link to Wikisource 2006 on the Main Page of your language's Wikisource. (You can copy the following link: oldwikisource:Wikisource:2006; see how it was done on the English Main Page.)
- June 2006: Start as a subdomain.
- October 2006: All content migrated.
- December 2006: 200 pages.
- On 29. March 2006 the Czech Wikisource has been created; the new domain contains 30 pages
- 10. June 2006: the domain reached 100 pages, 21. August 2006: the domain reached 360 pages
- next growth: on October 28th 2006 - 500 pages, on November 28th 2006 - 850 pages (no bot edits, all well formated etc.)
- on December 18th in the evening we have 1000 pages (congratulations will be accepted on our Scriptorium - thx. -jkb- 20:18, 18 December 2006 (UTC) and the team
- 2006 we closed by 1410 pages late in the evening of the Dezember 31th 2006 being in contact on IRC
11:10, 1 January 2006 (UTC) The Danish Wikisource started the new year with 179 source texts.
On April 8th 2006 the Danish Wikisource reached 250 articles. Article number 250 was Mangors Kogebog for smaa huusholdninger/Side 40-49 uploaded by Bisgaard.
Den 8. april 2006 rundede den danske del af Wikisource 250 artikler. Artikel nr. 250 blev Mangors Kogebog for smaa huusholdninger/Side 40-49, der blev lagt op af Bisgaard.
Christian S 19:42, 8 April 2006 (UTC)
Digitization of a precious 16th-century handwritten mathematical schoolbook 
In may 2006 Wikimedia Germany (the "Verein") financed the digitizing of a handwritten mathematical schoolbook called "Drei Register Arithmetischer ahnfeng zur Practic". The precious 16th-century manuscript has been scanned at the Center for Retrospective Digitization of the Lower Saxony State and University Library in Goettingen. Today about a quarter of the 210 pages has been transcribed and annotated in the German Wikisource. Actually a project in the German Wikiversity is dealing with the analysis of the book.
- http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Pressemitteilungen/Rechenbuchprojekt (press report)
- http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Drei_Register_Arithmetischer_ahnfeng_zur_Practic:106 (example page)
- http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Drei_Register_Arithmetischer_ahnfeng_zur_Practic.djvu?page=181 (the new DjVu-extension on Commons)
- http://de.wikiversity.org/wiki/A_und_B_haltten_einen_Stich_umb_Pley_und_Papyr (example from the project in the german Wikiversity)
Third volume of the "Zimmerische Chronik" transcribed 
At the beginning of September 2006 the third volume of the so called "Zimmerische Chronik" (a chronicle written by count Froben Christoph von Zimmern in the 16th century and published 1881 by the german historian Karl August Barack) had been transcribed. The transcription of the 4-volume work is one of the biggest projects in the German Wikisource. The e-text-edition was initiated by a historian of the University of Freiburg im Breisgau, who actually acts as a scientific advisor for the project.
Update: In December 2006, the last pages were proofreaded and the whole project - containing 4 volumes with more than 600 pages each - was finished.
First publication of a handwritten letter of Fredrick Accum 
Today German Wikisource announces the first publication of a handwritten letter of the german chemist Fredrick Accum to his brother Philip (April 26th 1816). Accum emigrated to London in 1793 and became professor of chemistry and mineralogy at the Surrey Institute around 1803. Fredrick Accum, who is largely forgotten today, is one of the pioneers of the commercial production of coal gas for gas lighting. In his letter he gives a lively picture of the economic condition in London after the end of the napoleonic wars.
To faciliate the work of the german Wikisource community in the future, the german "Verein" provided a budget of 1.500 EUR (about 1.900 USD) for the digitizing of old books and manuscripts. The members of the community themselves will decide conjointly how to spend this money on new projects.
The English Wikisource began a much needed revamp of its internal structure. Help pages, policies, and category structures were entirely revamped or rewritten.
August: The revamp of policy and help pages has been completed for some time. Categories still need work. We have also nearly complete the migration all chapters to subpages. Along with that there has been a massive effort to add a standardized header with title, author, etc. to ALL pages. Currently only 2,000 pages out of over 20,000 are left without headers. We have found these headers very useful for navigation as well standardizing the look of the website. I encourage all other subdomains think about using a similar template before reaching 20,000 pages.--BirgitteSB 19:58, 25 August 2006 (UTC)
For much of this year, the copyright disputes (archived in April and May) of the United Nations works have bothered the users there. Chinese and French Wikisource with some UN works have also been affected. Fortunately, Administrative_Instruction_ST/AI/189/Add.9/Rev.2 has been discovered in November to release many, though not all, UN works into the public domain. This major discovery has allowed Wikisource to resume collecting UN resolutions.--Jusjih 12:12, 11 November 2006 (UTC)
After a copyright inquiry to the Judicial Yuan of the Republic of China based in Taiwan, a reply has explained that English translations of the Judicial Yuan Interpretations have been translated by governmentally contracted outside translators whose names have been indicated, so as the Judicial Yuan website allows personal noncommercial reproduction only, the English translations of its interpretations hosted at its website cannot be freely copied to English Wikisource. However, as the original Chinese interpretations are in the public domain, Wikisource users may make their own translations to be released under the GNU Free Documentation License.--Jusjih 17:30, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- On March 13, Spanish Wikisource had reached 10,000 pages. News:
- We have homage (or tribute) pages in our main page (one for each month).
- Main page about themes: (See: History, Poetry, Tales, Novels and others genres).
- We have incorporated "The End" of a work (See: Fin de libro).
- Year of Birth, died and publishing works categorized by year. (Example: 1911)
--LadyInGrey 17:26, 16 March 2006 (UTC)
- On August 8, Spanish Wikisource had reached 15,000 pages.
Since the beginning of 2006, the French language Wikisource has seen a impressive growth with new contributors and the help of a bot made by ThomasV. It has notably reached 10,000 articles. Also new initiatives started to add texts collectively ocred and proofread by contributors. Yann 15:08, 5 February 2006 (UTC)
July and August have seen great changes for the French language Wikisource. Many new contributors are active. Three important and voluminous works are in the making, all with a complete set of scans of the original: Montaigne's Essays, the complete work of Pierre de Fermat and the Encyclopedy of the Enlighment, from Diderot and d'Alembert. We started to have a weekly renewable extract of a work on the Main Page, and we expect that it will attract new readers and contributors. We also started to discuss a validation procedure. Yann 18:06, 22 August 2006 (UTC)
After a discussion at s:fr:Wikisource:Pages soupçonnées de copyright, it has been agreed that all United Nations works published after 1 March 1989 are automatically copyrighted pursuant to the United States law, so they may not be posted while they are not GFDL-compliant.--Jusjih 14:55, 10 September 2006 (UTC)
In September, a new namespace was created for proofreading (Page:), together with a very nice feature developed by ThomasV. Now we have about the same functionalities of other projects like Distributed Proofreaders. Yann 19:42, 15 September 2006 (UTC)
French started a serious effort of quality and promotion. Most works are not categorized, many new portals have been created. An ongoing debate is taking place about the inclusion of Gaston Leroux's works because of their copyright status. Yann 00:32, 12 November 2006 (UTC)
After English Wikisource has finally found that the United Nations has released its resolutions into the public domain, French Wikisource has followed this finding and undeleted previously deleted resolutions.--Jusjih 17:08, 16 November 2006 (UTC)
ויקיטקסט עברית התחילה את השנה האזרחית עם 686 יחידות טקסט, ועם סיום מערכת התבניות לכישורי לשון שנעשה על ידי רותם.Dovi 14:51, 1 January 2006 (UTC)
- Hebrew wikisource has reached 1,400 articles. Congratulations! Most pages have been typed in manually.
06 January 2006: hr.wikisource had 2517 pages. --Tomislav Dretar 21:08, 6 January 2006 (UTC)
- february: Acceptance of protection policy
- May: Beginning of a thorough discussion to strengthen consensus about all the proposed policies.
- A project to collect texts about Copyleft, Free Software, GNU, Linux etc. begins.
- Summer: categories underwent a complete overhaul.
- August: reached 3,000 volumes (most of which divided in uncategorized subpages - many more pages are actually written).
- September: a template links each subpage of a text to its editorial information. No page would not recall its origin.
- October: Pietrodn invents a template to dynamically bookmark any Wikibook to any place (not only a titled section) in Wikisource
- November: Discussion about using scanned images of books begins. Start of a new project to manage translations of texts: this project focuses on interewikilinks and census of text translated form italian language in other wikisources.
- December:Wikisource ends 2006 with the election of its sixth administrato: Torredibabele.
- July: new namespace Scriptor for latin author (see here) Accurimbono 17 September 2006 (UTC)
- July: due to the moving of all authors' pages to new namespace, pages go from 1300 to under 1100 Accurimbono 17 September 2006 (UTC)
- 27 August: la.wikisource had 100 users Accurimbono 17 September 2006 (UTC)
- September: restyling of the categories' structure Accurimbono 17 September 2006 (UTC)
- 17 September: la.wikisource had 1300 pages Accurimbono 17 September 2006 (UTC)
- 20 September: la.wikisource had 1400 pages Accurimbono 20 September 2006 (UTC)
- 29 September: la.wikisource had 1500 pages Accurimbono 20:20, 29 September 2006 (UTC)
- 12 October: 99% works categorized () --Accurimbono 09:40, 12 October 2006 (UTC)
- 29 November: la.wikisource had 1600 pages Accurimbono 09:09, 29 November 2006 (UTC)
Portuguese Wikisource finally is a active wiki. From 700 text-units to 3400+ (August 2006), from 1 admin to 6 admins and one bureaucrat. More news from that wiki in s:pt:Wikisource:Notícias (current news, in portuguese; google translation) and s:pt:Wikisource:Notícias/Arquivo (archive, in portuguese; google translation). 555 03:00, 22 August 2006 (UTC)
- 9 October: Portuguese Wikisource is the third edition to have the ProofreadPage extension enabled, but current no use planned (some questions to solve regarding copyright of brazilian printed editions). Today Portuguese Wikisource have 4465 text units. 555 16:32, 9 October 2006 (UTC)
Now Portuguese Wikisource have 6602 text units and is the 6th biggest Wikisource. 555 17:08, 27 December 2006 (UTC)
January 1: ~3200
Automatic Chinese converter, also used at Chinese Wikipedia and Wiktionary, accommmodates both traditional and simplified Chinese at one Chinese site. It is a major benefit for Chinese users after splitting from the multilingual Wikisource. However, as Chinese simplification started in 1956 in Communist China and 1969 in Singapore, more users have agreed that earlier source texts should be posted in traditional Chinese. Older texts in simplified characters are being tagged to catch anyone's attention to revert them to their original forms in traditional Chinese.--Jusjih 15:06, 10 September 2006 (UTC)
Chinese Wikisource had just more than 1400 articles in January 2006, but as of September 2006, the articles increased to 5500.--Jusjih 15:06, 10 September 2006 (UTC)
After a discussion at s:zh:Wikisource:侵犯版权, it has been agreed that all United Nations works published after 1 March 1989 are automatically copyrighted pursuant to the United States law, so they may not be posted while they are not GFDL-compliant.--Jusjih 15:06, 10 September 2006 (UTC)
After English Wikisource has finally found that the United Nations has released its resolutions into the public domain, Chinese Wikisource has followed this finding and undeleted previously deleted articles that would be indeed in the public domain.--Jusjih 17:14, 16 November 2006 (UTC)
Chinese Wikisource gets its 6700th article, s:zh:大理院統字第354號解釋. After outnumbering the number of articles of Polish and German Wikisource, Chinese Wikisource is now the fourth largest Wikisource subdomain behind English, French, and Spanish subdomains.--Jusjih 10:34, 15 December 2006 (UTC)